Home

Legal Notice from U.S. District Court: EA Sports Class Action (e-mail)

This is a discussion on Legal Notice from U.S. District Court: EA Sports Class Action (e-mail) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Legal Notice from U.S. District Court: EA Sports Class Action (e-mail)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Most. ie, jobs were lost.
Jobs are lost frequently in this industry licensing or no licensing. High turnover rate is the industry standard. Besides the 2k dev team wasn't that large to begin with. Bottom line your argument is moot.

I know you live for the anti Madden agenda. I get that, but do everyone a favor and reel it in. At least pretend like you have some objectivity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #42
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Jobs are lost frequently in this industry licensing or no licensing. High turnover rate is the industry standard. Besides the 2k dev team wasn't that large to begin with. Bottom line your argument is moot.

I know you live for the anti Madden agenda. I get that, but do everyone a favor and reel it in. At least pretend like you have some objectivity.
My arguement is moot? Your basically saying what I was saying to roadman. Potential job losses over this lawsuit are pretty minimal and as you say there is a high turnover rate anyways.

I thought I was being objective when I conceded this lawsuit probably wasn't going anywhere and that I didn't believe there would be another football game made on these consoles even if exclusivity went away. I guess not.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #43
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I thought I was being objective when I conceded this lawsuit probably wasn't going anywhere and that I didn't believe there would be another football game made on these consoles even if exclusivity went away. I guess not.
That has nothing to do with objectivity. That's simply reality. When it comes to Madden do you really believe yourself to be objective?

I am no real fan of Madden. But I am a fan of a free market. I am also not a fan of government interefence in commerce where it's not warranted. Seems to me our court system and my tax dollars have better things to do than deal with frivolous lawsuits like this.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #44
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
That has nothing to do with objectivity. That's simply reality. When it comes to Madden do you really believe yourself to be objective?

I am no real fan of Madden. But I am a fan of a free market. I am also not a fan of government interefence in commerce where it's not warranted. Seems to me our court system and my tax dollars have better things to do than deal with frivolous lawsuits like this.
I try to be objective with Madden. Not sure if you've read many of my posts, but my favorite footballs game of all time is Madden 2008 on ps2. Most of my requests and dislikes about current Madden involves things that the ps2 game did better. I've even made a video listing the top 10 things Madden needs to bring back from the ps2 days in order to get me to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9GMW-J-9A

I am also a fan of the free market. Unfortunately there are ways to monopolize a free market, some legal and some not and lawsuits like these are sometimes necessary to maintain competitive practices within it.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 36

Guys, the objectivity talk ends now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #46
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I try to be objective with Madden. Not sure if you've read many of my posts, but my favorite footballs game of all time is Madden 2008 on ps2. Most of my requests and dislikes about current Madden involves things that the ps2 game did better. I've even made a video listing the top 10 things Madden needs to bring back from the ps2 days in order to get me to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9GMW-J-9A

I am also a fan of the free market. Unfortunately there are ways to monopolize a free market, some legal and some not and lawsuits like these are sometimes necessary to maintain competitive practices within it.
There's nothing ilegal about this though, nor are these essential services like telephones or pharmaceutics. Telling people they have to sell their intellectual properties to certain people is going down the wrong path imo.

I find it hard to believe all the people who are cheering on this lawsuit would feel the same way if they were forced to do business a certain way at a detriment to their bottom line.

This is a waste of the courts time and the taxpayers money. Unfortuntately frivolous lawsuits in California are the norm not the exception.

Last edited by bkrich83; 04-07-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #47
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Telling people like the NFL who they can and can not sell their intellectual properties too is a precedent I don't want to set.
It's my understanding they can still sell it whoever they want to,they just won't be able to sell it exclusively. There will still be Madden/EA's game but there'd also (likely) be a 2K game. Maybe even Fever and Gameday.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
It's my understanding they can still sell it whoever they want to,they just won't be able to sell it exclusively. There will still be Madden/EA's game but there'd also (likely) be a 2K game. Maybe even Fever and Gameday.
Thats my point though. You are telling an entity who they can and can't sell their properties to. That's not something I want the government regulating. If I own properties such as this I don't want the government devaluing them because I am forced to sell them to all comers. They are my properties I should be able to do with them as I see fit.

Government interference for intellectual properties is not a precedent that I want to set.

If it was your business I doubt you'd want someone telling you what to do with your product. Particulalrly when it means less income for you.

I am all for more NFL licensed games but not at this cost. The ends do not justify the means.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »