Home

How Madden 11 became a great game for me.

This is a discussion on How Madden 11 became a great game for me. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
How Madden 11 became a great game for me.

I had held off on next gen madden until madden 10. It was the 1st year that franchise had gotten decent from what i'd read on posts. It took some getting used to but I found it a decent experience. I held off on M11, rented it from blockbuster and didn't like it at first. I finally broke down and got it around Christmas. I've come to love it.
Sure the franchise mode took a step back from M10, and there are other issues with the game but I've been able to do some things that have made the game a pleasure to play.
Here were some things:

1. Sliders, sliders and sliders. Took me a bit of work and got lots of help but I finally have a set that gives me near dead on NFL stats each game and season. One key was going to all madden and then improving my game through practice. The game was more challenging on all madden and the right sliders made it more playable.
2. Use the "cover the ball" button. I have my player fumble slider on 17 and guess what? I almost never fumble! Because, just like IRL...when I'm about to get hit, I cover the ball! Not rocket science but people complaining of fumbling too much must not be doing this. I really only fumble now when I DONT use the cover up button and/or hit the hitstick too much on the same play. I'm averaging less than 1 fumble per game (not counting a QB sack where he fumbles which is still rare).
3. Directional throwing. Just like IRL you have to adjust your throws. WR runs a hook, DB is on the inside...you MUST throw the ball to the outside! Throwing it straight or to the left is a pick (maybe even a pick 6!). Throws over the middle I throw low (just like IRL). Out patterns tend to be high to avoid cutting DB's. I've completed stick pattern to the TE with the LB right in front of him by making a high throw (not really a good idea but it's worked at times). Learn to directional throw.
4. Match you D to the formation. Playing a quarter against a 2TE, 2RB set is inviting the cpu to run it down your throat. Likewise, playing a 4-3 vs a 5 WR set will give up a big play. I'll hand this to the madden developers....if you are in the wrong D the cpu will find the mismatch and exploit it (at least on all madden).
5. Shift and slant, pinch or loop your DL. IRL the D line doesn't just take on the blocker everyplay. They stunt and shift all the time to disrupt blocking patterns. Look at the O formation....TE on the right, I and twins left? He's likely to run right so I shift and or slant that way. It takes away his numerical advantage and even if he comes back to the weak side you still are at least even up. Note: if your line is slanting right, make sure you control the MLB and step to the left (i'll explain another time but anyone who played LB or coached should know this.).
6. Likewise on offense. Look at the D and audible. i don't know how you can be effective on all madden without audibles. I come out in an I formation for the blast play. The cpu has 8 guys in the box. It's stupid for me to try to run that play now. There will be unblocked LB;'s and again the cpu will use that guy to destory your RB.
Also, run to the natural hole. Let's say its the blast and the D line has shifted to the hole I'm going to hit or 2 LB's have moved to that side, I need to go the other way. I also need to read my blocks and run to daylight, not into THE HOLE that the play called for. Which leads me to....
7. DONT TOUCH THE SPRINT BUTTON!!! At least not until you see green grass in front of you. In my experience all it does is make it harder to cut AND, while this may be a flaw in the game, I'd swear that as soon as I hit sprint, the cpu D gets off their blocks! I may be wrong but it sure seems that way. Staying off the sprint allows me to weave into the hole where it opens. I've even found I can avoid a DT or DE who has beaten his man. His momentum is taking him in one direction and my ability to cut helps me avoid him sometimes. Honestly my back doesn't seem any faster when I hit the sprint in the backfield. May have something to do with the acceleration ratings. Again IRL backs dont' turn on the jets until they are running away from the pack, and while some guys have great acceleration, they need to be in control to make the cuts.
8. Finally on D use the strafe and avoid the sprint unless chasing someone. I've had more D players miss a tackle or a pass because they were "out of control". IRL you can't sprint to the outside to stop the sweep becuase any decent back will cut back on you. That's why they call it "scraping"...the LB shuffles to the outside keeping his shoulders square pursues from the inside out. He count's on his corner to turn the play back in.

There are many other little things I could add to this but I found that the game is far closer to real life than most people realize. I for one was lulled into a false sense by the old gen games where I could run around sprinting all day and actually be better! I find that I must do real life things (scrape, stay in control, cover the ball, aim the ball to a particular spot0 in order to do well in M11.

Yes the game has other issues which have been listed here numerous times but on many things I have to hand to the EA guys for making the game so close to real life and not just "arcade" style (again this is for All madden play.....all pro is arcade).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: How Madden 11 became a great game for me.

Good observations...

With regard to many of the observations you made, they aren't new. They've been in the game for years and years but many players ignore them.

Regarding the SPRINT button and defenders getting off their blocks... NOT A FLAW. The game is designed so that defenders react to the ball carrier. When the ball carrier sprints, the defense sprints.

Thing is whenever a defender is engaged in a block, the sprint button becomes the "PUSH" button. Defenders will give their blocker a shove that gives them just enough separation to move laterally away from the block.

Sprinting before it's time to sprint means having holes close quicker.

Glad you're having fun. There's a lot more to discover. Stick with it, it only gets better.

Later
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Glad you're finding enjoyment with M11. I still am as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
3. Directional throwing. Just like IRL you have to adjust your throws. WR runs a hook, DB is on the inside...you MUST throw the ball to the outside! Throwing it straight or to the left is a pick (maybe even a pick 6!). Throws over the middle I throw low (just like IRL). Out patterns tend to be high to avoid cutting DB's. I've completed stick pattern to the TE with the LB right in front of him by making a high throw (not really a good idea but it's worked at times). Learn to directional throw.
I wish this game had more emphasis on directional throwing. You can do it, and it does give you an advantage at times. But there are plenty of times where you don't have to use it either. I sometimes forget that it's there and other times I have no use for it. It would be nice if they spent some time refining 'precision passing' to make it more useful. Idk...maybe that's just me.

-------------

Also, although I'm sure the majority of OS would disagree with me, I've been playing the game on very slow the past couple days and I have to say I enjoy it. I'm not going to use the highly subjective term of realistic, but I have been enjoying this speed of the game and I think it simply looks better.

It felt sluggish after the first couple plays, but I've adjusted and it gives the game a good feel.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Good observations...

With regard to many of the observations you made, they aren't new. They've been in the game for years and years but many players ignore them.

Regarding the SPRINT button and defenders getting off their blocks... NOT A FLAW. The game is designed so that defenders react to the ball carrier. When the ball carrier sprints, the defense sprints.

Thing is whenever a defender is engaged in a block, the sprint button becomes the "PUSH" button. Defenders will give their blocker a shove that gives them just enough separation to move laterally away from the block.

Sprinting before it's time to sprint means having holes close quicker.

Glad you're having fun. There's a lot more to discover. Stick with it, it only gets better.

Later
Good point...hadn't thought of that but IRL that's what happens. Defenders disengage when they feel the ball carrier (unless they're getting pancaked!)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

I wish this game had more emphasis on directional throwing. You can do it, and it does give you an advantage at times. But there are plenty of times where you don't have to use it either. I sometimes forget that it's there and other times I have no use for it. It would be nice if they spent some time refining 'precision passing' to make it more useful. Idk...maybe that's just me.

-------------

Also, although I'm sure the majority of OS would disagree with me, I've been playing the game on very slow the past couple days and I have to say I enjoy it. I'm not going to use the highly subjective term of realistic, but I have been enjoying this speed of the game and I think it simply looks better.

It felt sluggish after the first couple plays, but I've adjusted and it gives the game a good feel.
yes, I play on either slow or very slow (I'll have to check) and it feels more real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
OP, what sliders do you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

-------------

If you put the USER accuracy low enough you almost have no choice but to directional throw or else the ball will sail on you..

Great thread Mjh. I'm enjoying the game too because of sliders.. There's still plenty of sfuff that needs to be fixed but my sliders definitely made the game enjoyable..
Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
yes, I play on either slow or very slow (I'll have to check) and it feels more real.
You're probably on slow, it's on slow by default. I like the way the plays develop on very slow and for me, it does feel authentic. Kick returns look a little on the slow side, but the rest of the game looks great to me. But I know the majority of the community believe that it's too sluggish, and it's far from realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »