Home

Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation?

This is a discussion on Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation?

Maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn............

I'm going to refrain from saying what I want to say and try it keep as civil as possible because I know things get misconstrued and folks get banned, but I'm sick of these little bogus press releases...

People say Madden has improved in 3 years but honestly what game hasn't?!?! It's not about these little minimal improvements and such and it's more about creating a complete experience. These dudes have ABSOLUTELY NO VALID EXCUSE for having not produced a game above the quality of Madden '05, adjusted for the time and improvements of technology.

All this "We want a continuous online community" is bogus because they could have easily created a "Complete Online Franchise" for the gamer and made that a continuous environment. They also could have had a Complete Offline Franchise mode, and a whole lot more. They dropped all that in favor of Madden Ultimate Team so they could suck as much money as possible out of the consumer. Honestly as a substantial beneficiary of this capitalism system I have no problem with them maximizing profit, but why did it have to come at the expense of the consumer. Feel free to get your money off that Ultimate Team gimmick, but give the hardcore gamers what they want as well. It's not that hard.

Now they are supposedly doubling the team and got a 3 new year plan. Would anyone call me a liar if I said I heard this all before? I'm supposed to be geeked over some cheerleaders?!?!? Preposterous.

Please just tell us you are working on the game and hope to make us happy. I know it will never happen, but I guess one can always dream.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #34
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleelroy
who cares, these online modes made the other ea games otp in fifa, nhl ect are much bigger than offline madden
Based on what? Anecdotal personal experience is just that, and EA has been able to gather statistics and actually have an idea of what is being played more by their users.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #35
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
I understand your point rgiles and the 90% may not be reflective of the entire Madden gaming population but there must be a large percentage of people that do feel the way that Reejer described. How else can one explain why Madden has stagnated and then decreased in sales over the past 3 years while the NFL has grown in popularity AND other sports game franchises that have catered to sim gamers have had big increases in sales over the same time period?

(Sales for PS3, XBox, PS2, Wii according to vgchartz)
Madden 09 - 6,56 million
Madden 10 - 6,65 million
Madden 11 - 5,35 million
Three things about those numbers, one being that VGChartz' accuracy has been disputed on several occasions, two being that Madden NFL 11 is still being sold and advertised, and three being that I am curious how much of the alledged decline in Madden NFL 11 sales can be attributed to the decline of the Playstation2, which was the most popular gaming console ever.

To the topic itself, EA can't be faulted for looking for new revenue streams. They're a business, their primary objective before all else is to make money. The advent of social gaming - for example, FarmVille - has clearly illustrated to everyone in the industry where there is new money to be made right now. To that end, the primary success by EA has been MUT, which IMO is a great idea but needs to be expanded upon more before I have any significant interest in it (the primary thing being TeamBuilder compatibility for custom uniforms and custom stadiums, but also some ability to play games against friends or AI that don't reward coins and also don't decrease player contracts).

That said, I think EA does have to come around a bit and realize that, at least in my opinion, a video game before all else has to stand up on its own before online multiplayer features are considered, because online multiplayer features can be disabled by server downtime, lack of an internet connection, etc. I do think EA realizes this, and that we'll see significant improvement in Madden's offline depth this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #36
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Based on what? Anecdotal personal experience is just that, and EA has been able to gather statistics and actually have an idea of what is being played more by their users.
This statistical data is skewed. They created an grossly incomplete online franchise and then used the data to suggest no one will play it. NCAAs online dynasty should tell them people would play this mode if it was done correctly.

Imo, it is simply an excuse. They chose to ignore offline modes and online franchise in favor of Ultimate team and weekly updated madden moments they could charge for. The decision had nothing to do with which mode was the most popular or most played and everything to do with which modes could make additional money.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 6

Peter Moore almost killed the Xbox by ignoring the RROD, one of the reason he left (they extended the warranty right before he left). He killed Madden on the PC, as well as NBA Live on the PC. Peter Moore is the worst thing to happen to EA Sports.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

What made Last gen popular and good was that online was not popular then. So most of improvements went to offline.
I think Madden is the only major sports game to have multiple online features. Every other sports games has only leagues and or season/dynasty. Madden online was a major priority for them over offline. For NCAA, their main online feature was Online Dynasty. So they was able to make fixes to other areas.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This statistical data is skewed. They created an grossly incomplete online franchise and then used the data to suggest no one will play it. NCAAs online dynasty should tell them people would play this mode if it was done correctly.

Imo, it is simply an excuse. They chose to ignore offline modes and online franchise in favor of Ultimate team and weekly updated madden moments they could charge for. The decision had nothing to do with which mode was the most popular or most played and everything to do with which modes could make additional money.
The difference being they had actual data to apply their business decisions to, while you have nothing but a the finished product to apply your agenda to. Did you even read what I quoted? He said online team play is bigger in 2 other games than offline franchise is in Madden, what's that and my response have to do with what you posted other than to just try and take another shot at Madden?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #40
Pro

mWolfe's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Here is a link to Peter Moore's vision, dated April 8, 2011 :
http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/08/ea...-digitization/

I think that Moore is the reason for the decline in innovation of the Offline Modes. And one of the main reasons that sales have been declining (?I believe, ever since he took the helm?). The primary reason that I didn't buy M-11' (the first year since it's inception that I didn't buy Madden). And possibly responsible for the recent attrition on the Madden Dev. Team.

"Going forward, Moore said, “Every game now has to be socially engaging.”

We are three years into a strategy to lead in digital gaming, while our competitors have scoffed at it,” Moore said. “The old business models will be around for a while, but they are crumbling.”
So he was the brainchild of the three year decline of the depth and quality of Madden. And the growth of MUT, and the expansion of DLC for things that used to be free.

I think Mr. Moore should be looking at the EA and OS Forums instead of trying to "nudge" us into going along with his idea of how the future of gaming should be.

"The ultimate nirvana will be when the $60 price melts away and consumers start paying a continuous subscription fee for games that are regularly updated online. EA will be able to reward consumers for playing multiple games and link its games together.
“That is the future,” he said. Today, we envision this as a connected experience, anytime, anywhere, where the consumer is in control.”
It’s no accident that EA chose to let the public vote on who will be the cover athlete on its Madden NFL football game’s plastic case.
“We decided this year the consumer gets control,” Moore said.
And one day, there won’t be a plastic case."
Isn't that sweet of Mr. Moore to LET us have control of who will be on the cover? I thought that we already had control of that aspect of the game (it's called a printer, I've got one, and I'm pretty sure by the release date that there will be a custom cover thread, with at least 50 custom cover ideas).

Silly me, I thought that posting on these forums for the past half decade, our input was at least being considered by the Development team, but I see now that it has been a false sense of control. Call me stupid, because it took me all of these years of consecutive disappointing Madden titles to figure this out. That we are just pawns in a Peter Moore dictated steering commitee, who's main intent is to "change" the way that we play games. Change isn't always a good thing.

I think his attempt to get "one step ahead of the consumer" in the gaming market has lost me, and many others as customers. Because I don't want to play a facebook, I-phone, or any other "social media" forms of Madden.

Whats next? A Farmville-esque Madden called Maddenville, where you can walk around a football field with your big headed cartoon guy, and buy a jockstrap via DLC for a mere $5.00? Or TwitterMadden in which you call the plays in 10 words or less?

"If EA can get $2 to $5 out of online game play — in addition to the $60 per game — that could be a huge financial victory because digital delivery of games is a lot cheaper than physical delivery."

Then with all of the DLC (and don't forget MUT), they can squeeze even more cash out of their loyal customers. I guess I am just too old-school, but give me a solid Offline NFL game, and a controller, and I am a happy customer.

I must be getting old or remember the faithful old Odyssey 2 I used to play before I sold it to get the Atari 2600, but I used to love playing them solo. Sure it was fun to play every now and then with someone but when I wanted to escape I played solo.

Even now I have to disagree with Moore in saying that every game has to be social. Look at good games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Drake's Uncharted or games like those, they are solo games meant for one player with great story lines. I think Moore is missing that aspect in his speech.

And as far as DLC goes, the only things I have ever bought beside music for Rock Band is the extra missions for Mass Effect 1 and 2. I never buy anything else for sports games or games like that. Now I love NCAA 11, but I didn't buy any DLC for it because it is not worth it.

Now as for as subscription goes if EA was to Ever take NCAA or Madden or any of their sports games in in that direction it would be the last time I buy and EA sports title. I'm not into the MMORPG games like WOW where you have to pay to play on top of buying the software its not for me. Once I pay 60 bucks for a game I flat out refuse to pay a subscription fee to play it.

I have two kids and wife a life and a job that requires 12 hours of my life a day on top of finding time to do the family thing, and make everybody happy, and then finally make me happy by playing a few game before passing out. For me games are my escape time from life, to live in a football fantasy world and escape reality.

I think Moore needs to take two steps back and realize that yes, some people like games social usually younger kids and teenagers, and that older people like me with kids and a wife need a great game to play alone to ease our stress from work, and some times family that stress you out, and be able to relax into game before setting off into next days reality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »