Home

The Look of Football

This is a discussion on The Look of Football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
The Look of Football

One of the biggest things I think that has been lacking in the presentation aspect of Madden & I guess you can throw NCAA as well, is how the game has been depicted with regards to the field and to the wear of the players playing the game.

I can't believe the art team thru the years of Madden football, where not able to give us a field, that thru the flow of a game shows how much the tackling, pile ups, slashes, and rain affects the field. When you go thru a down pour and a grass field looks just as refined as a golf course at the end of the game as it does the beginning, something is off. That level of immersion with regard to the field throws the whole feel of football off. I know some places like the new Cowboy Stadium and Giants stadium do not have natural grass. But there are a ton of stadiums that still do. Not seeing that wear and tear to the field kills the authenticness of playing a football game on grass.

Coupled with that...to not have a solid foundation, after years of versions of this game...of wear and tear and dirt for the uniforms is just silly. You want immersion???? We need to see a players jersey and pants dirty with grass stains after a tackle. We need to see it smeared with mud after a slid in a down pour at Joe Robby. We need to see Jersey's torn. We need to see blood on the elbows. Blood on the jerseys. It doesn't have to be resident evil - esq....just something that shows the effects of playing 70 to 80 plays a game against some of the greatest athletes in modern sports playing the most physical game there is.

The look of the game is not mascots bring the players running on to the field. The look of the game is not the stadium or the sidelines. The look of the game is not motorcycle with a side car bringing the Colts onto the field. Those things are presentation. Yes, they have their place and should be included. Throw a real broadcast camera in as well, and we will finally have a game or games that actually shows football how it is presented on television and the vast majority of us love to watch...

But what has been forgotten...is that football is dirty. muddy. bloody. grimy. Give us that look and you will have many more fans of the art and look of this game then there are now. Give us the ability to run our favorite athletes into the ground, battered and victorious...and some how i think actually having that look would make victories feel that much better some how. Do football players look like they have gone thru a car wash, waxed and shined after a game? Does the field look like Augusta National?

Till this aspect is finally achieved...the immersion of football will be still lost on me. Maybe others feel the same way. I have no clue how something so simple has been neglected or lost in this / these series of games.

Last edited by SkinsBoYee; 04-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: The Look of Football

By the way, in Madden 12, grass stains, muddied jerseys, and even helmet scuffs are in the game.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Pro

Thank you! My hope for stating everything was that it was! I read up on things, but totally missed if this was in or not. So glad to hear that strives had been made. I just hope some bug doesn't "turn" those things off.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsBoYee
Thank you! My hope for stating everything was that it was! I read up on things, but totally missed if this was in or not. So glad to hear that strives had been made. I just hope some bug doesn't "turn" those things off.
Don't expect blood though. The NFL won't allow it.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Pro

They just need to look at NHL93 and the movie Swingers to see how a little blood could make their product and their profits so much more!!! Ha!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

In the Madden 12 screen shots the grass stains look very real. Helmet scuffs are awesome. Can't wait
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
Don't expect blood though. The NFL won't allow it.
even if the NFL ok'd it, showing blood would likely change the ESRB rating away from E, which I doubt EA would want to do.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Grass looks great, as does the blades that come up during play, grass stains are sweet too, but will these awesome natural grass surfaces degrade over the course of a game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »