Home

Help with a passing playbook with decent enough running plays in it

This is a discussion on Help with a passing playbook with decent enough running plays in it within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Help with a passing playbook with decent enough running plays in it

I know it's late in the game.......and I've tried to make a passing playbook work for me. However, when I play good players who can play Defense, that one dimensional offense just doesn't cut it. Apparently, despite my desire to wing it, I need a playbook with some runs to keep someone honest. I don't mean a playbook where I pass to set up the run. I've had Arizona all along and apparently I'm not good enough with the pass to make that work. Can someone recommend a playbook that is slightly geared more to passing but has enough runs so as that I'm not so one dimensional? Would greatly appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Help with a passing playbook with decent enough running plays in it

Part of me wants to help you - but the other is shaking it's head. I'll entertain the head shaking part first:

Part time running the ball can be done from any playbook. No need to change if you're going to half-step in the run game. Every playbook has run plays. But what good are they if you aren't going to use them? Or worse yet, aren't going to use them enough for them to work for you?

Now the help part:

Figure out how you intend to run the ball. As a one dimensional player, start by using runs that work off of your opponent's expectation of the pass. Draws and Delays work well, especially from shotgun formations.

Commit to running. to make the run a legitimate threat to compliment your pass game, you'll need to run at least 10 times. After a 2-yard gain, run again. If you abandon the run after a short gain, you lose the effect that opens the passing lanes.

Try different blocking. Several playbooks have several types of run blocking. I use the SF Playbook because it has the most run-blocking diversity from the formations I like most (excited for Custom PB in 12!!!). If the Inside Zone isn't working, the Power might. The varied blocking allows me to run to the same side while forcing the defense to play the runs differently.

Take advantage of bad discipline. Defending the run requires discipline that most Madden players can't maintain over the course of a game. But you need 15-20 carries to take advantage of poor discipline. The more the better.

Personally, I recommend that you find ways to utilize the plays you already have in the playbook you like to pas from and run them 10-15 times a game.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »