Home

O-Lineman don't matter in Madden?

This is a discussion on O-Lineman don't matter in Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
O-Lineman don't matter in Madden?

I saw a youtube video where a guy put Peyton Manning and other QB's on the O-line and they were just as effective blocking. He said it was on ALL-Madden setting. Is this really true?

If so, will Madden 12 be fixing this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: O-Lineman don't matter in Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarver
I saw a youtube video where a guy put Peyton Manning and other QB's on the O-line and they were just as effective blocking. He said it was on ALL-Madden setting. Is this really true?

OLine needs a huge improvement. I'd like to see areas where a O-lineman will pass a defender to another lineman and pick up another stunting lineman or a blizter and some cutblocks on quick short passes as well as cutblocks downfield.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarver

Seen the vids... The guy that makes them has been doing some silly gimmick like this for years. Here's the deal with those vids... Check the cutting room floor. QB's and Punters might look like great blockers in Practice mode against the CPU, but only a fool would believe they can WIN this way.

Let's see what the stats for a full game look like. Let's see what a series of run plays look like. Let's see what a human does against it. Personally, I giggle when I see these type of videos. It proves 2 things:

1) People will go through great lengths to taint the experience of others.
2) Guys who can't strategize their way out of a wet paper bag will go through great lengths to find reasons why they can't.

When you see one of these vids, watch for how many different plays there are. Most of the time it's the ONE SUCCESSFUL play that illustrates the point rewound and analyzed 20 times from 20 different angles. It's not representative of typical results.

Later
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

On top of what TNT713 said, most of these videos have sliders jacked in favor of the AI, playing against a user-controlled defense. This skews the results of the play on the field regardless who is playing on the line.

The ratings DO matter in Madden, though I think there should be more ratings-specific animations to make that more apparent.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Even if the P's K's AND QB's ratings don't matter, in fairness...it could be like the Show 10... you could put a position player in at pitcher and dominate, simply because the devs didn't program the position player with any pitching ratings- because who would bother.

I also agree, line ratings need to be more apparent. This is one thing where Madden still fails to differentiate itself from the competition. I KNEW when I had a bad OL in other games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Even if the P's K's AND QB's ratings don't matter, in fairness...it could be like the Show 10... you could put a position player in at pitcher and dominate, simply because the devs didn't program the position player with any pitching ratings- because who would bother.

I also agree, line ratings need to be more apparent. This is one thing where Madden still fails to differentiate itself from the competition. I KNEW when I had a bad OL in other games
Co-sign completely.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Personally, I giggle when I see these type of videos. It proves 2 things:

1) People will go through great lengths to taint the experience of others.
2) Guys who can't strategize their way out of a wet paper bag will go through great lengths to find reasons why they can't.

When you see one of these vids, watch for how many different plays there are. Most of the time it's the ONE SUCCESSFUL play that illustrates the point rewound and analyzed 20 times from 20 different angles. It's not representative of typical results.
Agreed that some people take it too far as they replay the same play over and over again to prove a point, but a lot of the criticism of the OL is valid, IMO. I guess it can be narrowed down to 2 issues:

1) Either the poor OL/DL interaction lies in Madden's choice of game engine, where limitations prevent them from producing realistic lineplay, or
2) Tiburon caters too much towards 'casual' gamers, who only care about skill positions and cannot be bothered to understand how and why lineplay matter.

And I don't think it's about people who cannot "strategize their way out of a wet paper bag", because when something doesn't interact properly it's not about strategy, but how to exploit the thing that isn't working - aka using punters at OL in franchise mode to save CAP room etc.

I believe that the reason why Madden doesn't have realistic drop backs, pocket formations, OL/DL interaction and route based passing is a combination of not wanting to turn off Little Jimmy's Madden experience and not having a proper system in place.

Personally, I'm curious to seeing how FIFA 12's newly added realism (tactical defending, timing becoming a key element etc.) will affect my 8-year old nephew and how fast he'll adapt. Maybe if FIFA 12 becomes successful in changing gamers habits without excluding youngsters/casuals, there'll be hope for Madden to add much needed realism.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
On top of what TNT713 said, most of these videos have sliders jacked in favor of the AI, playing against a user-controlled defense. This skews the results of the play on the field regardless who is playing on the line.

The ratings DO matter in Madden, though I think there should be more ratings-specific animations to make that more apparent.
100% agree on this point. If the gameplay is so animation driven, then the animations available should be tiered so that not every player seems to have the same skill set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »