Home

Does accelerated clock still stop @ 2 minutes?

This is a discussion on Does accelerated clock still stop @ 2 minutes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Does accelerated clock still stop @ 2 minutes?

Yes. Sim is acc clock through the whole game. I hate that I can run 10 plays in the 2 min drill w/o stopping thief clock. Its just stupid. I hate that they continue to ignore this. It would bed so much more fun to b have to worry about the clock in the last two mins.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm0ney2001
Yes. Sim is acc clock through the whole game. I hate that I can run 10 plays in the 2 min drill w/o stopping thief clock. Its just stupid. I hate that they continue to ignore this. It would bed so much more fun to b have to worry about the clock in the last two mins.
If you hate that YOU can call 10 plays in 2 minutes then, well, don't...

Run a no-huddle and you won't have to worry about that.

I agree that the current system needs to change but simply extending accelerated clock into those last two minutes yet leaving no huddle untouched wouldn't make it any more "realistic"

They would have to re-work those functions all together IMO
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #19

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichettehappens
If you hate that YOU can call 10 plays in 2 minutes then, well, don't...

Run a no-huddle and you won't have to worry about that.

I agree that the current system needs to change but simply extending accelerated clock into those last two minutes yet leaving no huddle untouched wouldn't make it any more "realistic"

They would have to re-work those functions all together IMO
Yes it would.

If you are trying to convince yourself that you run the same amount of plays from 4:00 to 2:00 with the accelerated clock running as you do from the 2:00 mark to the end of the game you are lying to yourself.

You diminish the point of the accelerated clock by disabling for ANY portion of the quarter regardless of it's the last two quarters or not.

You can't play 13 minutes one way and then switch it for the final two, that doesn't even logically make any sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the option for those of you that view this as being more realistic, I just am really baffled as to why you do.

The point of AC (as previously mentioned) is to simulate the amount of time it takes to huddle up throughout the game for those of us who want to play longer quarters.

How can you make a claim that all of a sudden in the last two minutes, it takes 5 seconds to huddle up when throughout the game it has taken 20 seconds. You are all of a sudden changing the pace of the game by turning it off.

Edit: Actually, after all my rambling, it really comes down to one question for those against it. Please explain why after 28 minutes each half for those that use it, how does a team take 10-15 seconds less to huddle and make substitutions than they have for the rest of the half?

Last edited by kehlis; 06-08-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Yes it would.

If you are trying to convince yourself that you run the same amount of plays from 4:00 to 2:00 with the accelerated clock running as you do from the 2:00 mark to the end of the game you are lying to yourself.

You diminish the point of the accelerated clock by disabling for ANY portion of the quarter regardless of it's the last two quarters or not.

You can't play 13 minutes one way and then switch it for the final two, that doesn't even logically make any sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the option for those of you that view this as being more realistic, I just am really baffled as to why you do.

The point of AC (as previously mentioned) is to simulate the amount of time it takes to huddle up throughout the game for those of us who want to play longer quarters.

How can you make a claim that all of a sudden in the last two minutes, it takes 5 seconds to huddle up when throughout the game it has taken 20 seconds. You are all of a sudden changing the pace of the game by turning it off.
In the last two minutes if I'm behind and trying to score I typically either get out of bounds, call a time-out, or run a no-huddle. So the 5 second huddle is no issue for me. But I do get frustrated at my lack of options as far as play calls.

If I do huddle up for a play or two in order to select a specific play not available in the no huddle then usually it's one where I have to make a specific substitution so it takes more time off the clock anyways.

But I do agree that the current way they have it is unrealistic, I just disagree that fixing it is as simple as just having the accelerated clock extended
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #21

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichettehappens
In the last two minutes if I'm behind and trying to score I typically either get out of bounds, call a time-out, or run a no-huddle. So the 5 second huddle is no issue for me. But I do get frustrated at my lack of options as far as play calls.

If I do huddle up for a play or two in order to select a specific play not available in the no huddle then usually it's one where I have to make a specific substitution so it takes more time off the clock anyways.

But I do agree that the current way they have it is unrealistic, I just disagree that fixing it is as simple as just having the accelerated clock extended
Sorry, I edited my post while you were typing.

Through my rambling, it really comes down to one question as long as we agree that the point of AC is to simulate the time taken to huddle up and make substitutions throughout the game.

Why would it all of a sudden take a team 10-15 seconds less to preform the same tasks in the last 2 minutes of a half than it would have for the rest of the half?

My point has nothing to do with clock management and in fact that argument goes along with what we are saying.

If you huddle up in the final two minutes, you should be punished the same as you are in the first minutes of the game because if we are looking as this from a realistic standpoint, there is no difference.

In the final two minutes, it should be far more imperative to get out of bounds, spike the clock, etc. than it is now because without AC on, you can call a play and hike within 10 seconds, that is ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Sorry, I edited my post while you were typing.

Through my rambling, it really comes down to one question as long as we agree that the point of AC is to simulate the time taken to huddle up and make substitutions throughout the game.

Why would it all of a sudden take a team 10-15 seconds less to preform the same tasks in the last 2 minutes of a half than it would have for the rest of the half?

My point has nothing to do with clock management and in fact that argument goes along with what we are saying.

If you huddle up in the final two minutes, you should be punished the same as you are in the first minutes of the game because if we are looking as this from a realistic standpoint, there is no difference.

In the final two minutes, it should be far more imperative to get out of bounds, spike the clock, etc. than it is now because without AC on, you can call a play and hike within 10 seconds, that is ridiculous.
Yeah, I agree.

Another option would be that in the final two minutes, the movement of the players to the huddle and consequently the line of scrimmage is done in real-time. So if you do huddle up, instead of 300 pound linemen magically appearing 30 yards downfield, you still have to wait for everyone to get downfield like you would if you had called a no-huddle.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #23
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

"30 seconds and no timeouts left while being in field goal range. Can't no huddle into a field goal. Clock gets accelerated and runs out."
That would happen way to many times if they remove this.

The current way of doing this might be unrealistic, but making the accelerated clock not stop inside the last two minutes would be way more unrealistic.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #24
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23

I have always wanted the Accl Clock to run for the whole game...and have asked for it every year since they put it back in. It did run all the time before, and those that used it never complained about the 2 minute periods being to fast or unrealistic.

The Accl Clock should run the whole game, if you dont want it to run the whole game, then you would not select it.

It believe it was made to simulate the time between plays, when in the huddle, changing lineups... etc etc.. and I believe it was originally created for those that wanted to play 15 minute qtrs without having to play the game for 2 1/2 hours of real time.

I can only guess that those that are against it running in the 2 min warning periods, are not playing 15 minutes qtrs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »