Home

For those of you who did not play NFL Head Coach 09

This is a discussion on For those of you who did not play NFL Head Coach 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: For those of you who did not play NFL Head Coach 09

Senior Scouting Day:

Sometimes you can get a little bit extra info when the college seniors decide to play. Depending on the ability of your GM, you will get a list of seniors on a position by position basis.

Say this year, there are 7 college senior QB's to be looked at. Maybe your GM is only average at scouting QB's...you might be able to look at 3 or 4 of them to unlock a little bit more information about them. This might get you up to a 40% overall scouting of that player and would start to unlock other information like his athletic rating, his size rating, and maybe his production rating.

NFL head coach would actually rate guys on size. This would affect a player's overall skill for your team specifically because for instance you might have the philosophy of wanting tall, redzone threat WR's. Well, a 5'9'' speedster with return ability wouldn't rate very well for size in your system, but that 6'5'' 220lbs guy with a nice vertical leap would. It might affect an OVR score around 3-4 points. So that speedy guy might only be an 85OVR in your system, but for a team that wants a speedy deep threat, he could be a 90 OVR.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Rookie

Combine Scouting:

You would get a little pop up saying that this week, the runningbacks went to the combine. You'd select that little window and you'd be taken to a screen that measured the standard things like height, weight, 40 yard time, 60 yard time, the cone drill, bench press, vertical leap, and for some players (QB's) a ball speed rating. Sometimes you will find a HB or a WR that actually has a ball speed rating...that means they might actually have some skills at QB. They might not be great, because if they were, they would be in with the QB's, but maybe you could run a trickery play with that guy?

After the raw data, you would then be taken to a screen that would allow you to scout some of the running backs that actually went to the combine (yes, some players will actually not go). Say there were about 20 runningbacks and fullbacks in total that went to the combine. Your GM is very good at scouting RB's...so you might be able to take a closer look at 8 of them.

As you progress through the scouting process, you are unlocking more and more of a perecentage of that players OVR rating. Once you get to 100% scouted, you pretty much know everything there is to know about this player and that OVR rating is probably very legit.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Rookie

Pro Days:

A lot of colleges will hold Pro Days. Here you will be presented with a list of a few schools that are holding Pro Days at that time, and you can choose one of them to go to. A school might have anywhere from 1 to 8 players working out that day and if you go, you will get a little more information unlocked on all of those players that participated regardless of their position.

Personal Scouting:

This is where you have to go to unlock the most important value of them all, the potential rating. Depending upon your GM, you will have the ability to personally scout one player at one position on these personal scouting days. The ability of your GM determines just how many of these personal scouting tries you actually get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Rookie

Why did they ever stop making HC? Will they ever make it again or do they even have something similar out? On ps3 or PC?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Rookie

The last Head Coach came out in 09.

Why did they stop making it? Probably because most people liked the ability to actually play Madden. NFL Head Coach used the year older Madden engine for game play and graphics, so it didn't look quite as nice. The game had some glitches, mainly a freezing one where in the middle of anything you were doing, at random, the game would just freeze. Had you not saved recently, all of that time you took coaching a game or scouting or what have you would be lost. That ticked a lot of people off.

The game is a niche' too. If you are not a total OCD stat head like me that prefers to be the man behind the scenes to build up a team and let the players play ( in Madden I would run the drafts, take my guys through training camp, but would either "watch" the CPU play my team against the other team, or sim the games) it might get old a little fast. You had NO direct control of your players.

The game mechanics were kind of strange. Your runningbacks would get the hand off, there would be a perfect hole opened up for them and instead of hitting the hole, they would cut back into defensive traffic, suddenly realize there was no hole, then run backwards...usually resulting in a loss of 6-8 yards. Sometimes he would get lucky (rarely) and when running backwards the defense would actually get out of position, and he would break off a huge run.

QB's would at times inexplicably throw passes into triple and quadrouple coverage.

The comeback AI was REALLY a problem in Head Coach.

So it wasn't a perfect game, but it did A LOT of things right. That is why when I found out Josh Looman was heading up the franchise mode in Madden 2012, I was elated. I thought a marriage of what I love about Madden and what I love about Head Coach...could be heaven! But, I don't think everything from Head Coach can go into Madden and thus I don't really know how great Madden will be.

I am a little tired of typing right now, if people show interest in this, there is quite a bit more to come. As mentioned before, any of you other NFL Head Coach 09 players out there see something I got wrong or want to add some things to this, please feel free.

Last edited by KalimbeNaire; 06-16-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

i jus dont see why they couldnt have taken the offseason engine from HC and put it in Madden

i feel cheated

especially since the Madden 10 generated draft classes come from HC.
so if they can take the draft classes,im pretty sure they could have take other stuff
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaW97
i jus dont see why they couldnt have taken the offseason engine from HC and put it in Madden

i feel cheated

especially since the Madden 10 generated draft classes come from HC.
so if they can take the draft classes,im pretty sure they could have take other stuff
If it was that easy they wouldve done it, its no where near that easy however. Taking over draft classes is alot different to a whole scouting system, free agent system, draft, everything.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Rookie

Mock Draft:

Mel Kiper would do the first two rounds of a Mock Draft and you could access it once he made it available. Just like in real life, it didn't nail every pick for every team, but I think it was a nice touch.

Draft Board:

You could arrange your own draft board any way you wanted it. The one thing this really seemed to influence was the GM's suggestion of whom to pick. Whomever was the top pick on your draft board, that's usually whom they would suggest.

The Draft:

Each team has 10 minutes to make a pick in the first 2 rounds, 7 minutes for the 3rd and 4th, then 5 minutes for the rest of the draft. There was a "pick the pick" option where you could earn a few brownie points with your owner if you managed to pick the player that the current team was going to draft. You could trade up for draft picks, or trade down as many times as you like. You weren't limited to only 10 draft picks.

After the draft:

You have the opportunity to bid on 5 UDFA rookies. Say there is a sleeper you scouted and you think he will be a good player, but he goes undrafted. Well, here is your chance to pick him up. You can place bids on 5 players and if no other teams are interested, you get to sign them. If other teams are interested, they will place bids on them as well. You will have to make a higher bid in order to get that player to come to your team.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »