Home

What makes franchise mode immersive for you?

This is a discussion on What makes franchise mode immersive for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Already somewhat disappointed in Franchise mode for M12

My gripe with the OP's list is that I don't want franchise mode to get too bogged down with crap. Some of these features have been in other games and get old fast.

For me, it's all about a realistic mode where the financials work and the AI is smart. I want to compete with the AI for top free agents. I want them to fill holes when they have them. I don't want to be able to fleece them easily on trades. And I want them to play the right guys and develop the right guys. Give me draft day trades, big draft busts, accurate player development, full roster management (IR, roster cuts, practice squad).

The bells and whistles, I'll take them too. Although I don't put many of the things on OP's list too high on my wishes. I'm a fan of the stadium stuff and financials that are mentioned, but really don't care about a newspaper or radio show that will have content recycled over and over a couple weeks in. The guts are what matters. That's what gets me to play this game for months and go season after season.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabrwnhornet
What ticks me about threads like this, is 90% of the responses are people posting flat out lies. There is no reason to lie when responding. Those saying the OP's additions wouldn't warrant re-playability are liars. Why?
Wow, how about you slow down the good old arrogance and ignorance mixed with blatant insults train a little?

So everyone that doesn't agree with your opinion on what makes a game worth playing is a liar?

I can honestly say that a radio talk show or a halftime show or stuff like that wouldn't warrant the sightest bit of replayability for me, neither would Mel Kiper commenting the draft. But you're calling me a liar because I honestly don't care much about "fluffy" parts like that? I care about the gameplay on and off the field, presentation is much less important to me than to other people.

People are different, they aren't "liars" because they don't share your tastes.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #59
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
See...here's the problem. YOu could just shut if off if you didn't want it....I unfortunately can't turn it on. How do you like when they leave out things you want because other didn't want it? They could add it and the people who don't like it can shut it off. Come on, lets think of others here dude. So many features can be like this....Autosprint for example. I shut it off because I dont' want, but that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't be able to use it, dig?
They arent going to put something that resource intensive in the game unless that vast majority are getting enjoyment out of it.

I guarantee, by year two of franchise, 8 or 9/10 Madden gamers were either skipping over the Tony Bruno show or simply just didnt listen to it at all, because you were hearing the same things over and over and over.

They took it out for a reason. I would love to see some new presentation elements added, but a radio show? Unless they can add enough as to where it doesnt get stale after ones season, no thanks. Put something more worthwhile in the game.

Last edited by 43M; 06-18-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #60
43M
Banned

Quote:
What ticks me about threads like this, is 90% of the responses are people posting flat out lies. There is no reason to lie when responding. Those saying the OP's additions wouldn't warrant re-playability are liars. Why?
You obviously dont know the difference between a lie and an opinion.

Just because you dont agree with them doesnt mean they are lying. It just means you dont agree with their view.

Quote:
You are the same ones who have been complaining year after year about the game being dumbed down and features removed since PS2 and XBox. Franchise on the PS2 had spice, tons of features, and the off-season training was what we WANTED to do for our players. The drills were absolutely fun and you wanted to run a 40 with this rookie, or do some D-line drills with a veteran to reach his pinnacle. And although the radio show was repetitive, it was part of the Franchise, and you wanted it in there every year.
The drills were completely lame and unrealistic IMO. It added little to nothing to my experience and I am personally glad they are gone.

While I do miss certain things about last gen, I am more excited about certain things being added this year. I would rather see improved draft logic and Dynamic Player performance than silly, unrealstic drills and setting stadium food prices.

And no, not everyone wanted the radio show there. To most people Ive spoken to, they barely even listened to it after a season or so.

Quote:
I enjoyed relocating teams sometimes, and building stadiums, setting prices, and failing at it sometimes. ALL OF IT MATTERED!

Now you're saying this stuff doesn't matter? This is why companies such as EA Sports don't give a rat's crap about you in the first place. They only care about your money, and the fact you'll be a drone year after year and spend it. They fool you with their silly advertisments, and present a gimmicky football product that you complain about year after year after year.

Then the following year, come into threads like this, and blatantly lie that the game is ok as is. Unbelievable.
Ahh...ignorance at its finest.

See...THIS is lying, because no one has said that Madden is "fine as is". They are simply saying that alot of the suggestions made are more cosmetic and fluff than anything....and thats their opinion, which they are more than entitled to. Just like you are entitled to yours. For instance, you say how you loved setting prices and building stadiums and that it all mattered. It mattered TO YOU....and undoubtedly mattered to others as well, but it didnt MATTER to anyone. I personally could care less about setting food prices, as it had nothing to do with football. That doesnt mean anyone is right or wrong, or that anyone is lying, just that we have different outlooks and feelings on that aspect of the game.

If you like his suggestions, fine, but get out of here with that "liar" nonsense until you figure out the difference between lying and a difference of opinion.

And the vast majority of the people that buy the game every year are casual gamers and casual football fans that dont really know what real football should play like. ALOT of hardcore football fanatics and videogamers that know what real football SHOULD play have stopped buying the game yearly. Are there some "drones" and fanboys? Sure, just like there are with any other game, and I actually agree with you that its annoying that some people complain and then buy the game every year. But even if alot of us dont like where Madden has been in recent years, most of the gamers that do buy Madden every year enjoy it. I have some younger cousins and they fall into that casual fan/gamer demographic I mentioned, and they LOVE Madden every year and play it constantly.

Just because you dont agree with these people or others doesnt make you right, or make them liars. For instance, I think Halo is the most overrated game on the planet...but I dont call the millions of Halo fans "liars" for saying the game is awesome. Its simply a difference of opinion that while I dont agree with, I respect.

Perhaps you should try that.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #61
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

One last comment before reaching for ignore. (I don't think there is any reason to call people liars. Way out of line.)

They made an entire game based on what they brought to Franchise this year. A game based on the OP's suggestions only wouldn't be a game. I X button through most of the stuff suggested anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
One last comment before reaching for ignore. (I don't think there is any reason to call people liars. Way out of line.)

They made an entire game based on what they brought to Franchise this year. A game based on the OP's suggestions only wouldn't be a game. I X button through most of the stuff suggested anyway.
Most of which has ALREADY been in the game before and then removed only to resurface as some new feature down the road. My gripe is the fact that every year, you'll bash and flame people like the OP who aren't satisfied with the product being advertised, then in complaint threads after release you are the ones posting the most.

Which is why I used the term "liars". For the grammar police. Liar had nothing to do with people stating their opinions of wanting a feature or not wanting it. It's bashing the OP of these threads, and then weeks later running to a complaint thread after the game releases and posting in it. That's what I was talking about. Don't bash someone because of your dire support of a Franchise, and then turn around and bash the game as well.

What I find entertaining is the "Complaint Threads" themselves get stickied and there are dozens of pages worth of complaints each year. But a month or two before the game comes out, you'll have these individuals amped up about the next release, or amped up about a few videos they see, and start the bashing all over again.

Let's all agree here. We all love football. Indeed. I'm honestly wanting to play Madden this year as I've went a few years without playing with my Browns. And the game cosmetically looks good, but watching the videos, it just doesn't give me the hope I'm looking for, because I've seen it before, played it before yeas ago. It hasn't changed. But there is no need to bash people for pointing that out.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
None of those things would make me enjoy franchise mode. The only thing would be the Senior Bowl. Anything else is just fluff that after a couple of weeks nobody will listen to or care about.

Franchise mode should be about running the franchise activities in terms of players drafted, developed or trades and free agents.

That is what makes franchise fun, the ability to create a team from bad to great and maintain it.

People talk about how great the 2K halftime show was with Berman. I loved it the first couple of times. After that I skipped through it because it got boring and stale after a while. Gameplay and franchise mode are what drives interest
Summed up my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 16
1. Training camp,
- Could dig this if it were more realistic than last gen, but it's not high on my priority list. Would just be nice to have another way to further evaluate players each season. I just known I do not want those stupid arcade-like mini games again.

2. newspaper articles,
- these are always so formulaic and repetitive. I don't particularly care if these ever make it back in the game or not

3. radio talk show,
- Would bore me after the first week of playing the game. I would rather them dedicate time to improving in-game commentary rather than add a radio show I'll never listen to back into the game.

4. college all star game,
- When it was in the game, I played one quarter and quit. Have no interest in it being added back in.

5. emails from players,
- Others have already summed up how I feel about this

6. scouting report on players for next game, position by position,
- I could dig some scouting reports (not necessarily position by position, but gameplan offense/defense as a whole), especially if DPP and the dynamic gameplans work as intended.

7. The ability to build a new stadium without relocating.
- Likely something I'd never do, but I can see why it would appeal to other gamers.

8. a draft that sounds like you are in the draft room (like old gen with crowd booing or cheering.
- Corny. Do Not Want.

9. Mel Kyper or some other draft analysis
- I feel like this would get really repetitive and would need more developer time than it would be worth.

10. A hall of fame you can visit (you know some player makes the hall in 2017 and you can go in and see his plaque or bust or lifetime stats or something.
- No interest in this

And brown hornet needs to cool his jets, there's a difference between "bashing the OP" and simply voicing that they don't like the features he wants put back into the game.

He wants certain things, other people want other things, it is what it is. I, for one, love the direction Madden franchise mode looks to be heading (more towards realism and meat, less arcade mini-games and repetitive fluff). It's unfortunate for Yankees that he feels differently but perhaps next year they will put in more things that appeal to him. Time will tell

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »