Home

Awareness: What is the point?

This is a discussion on Awareness: What is the point? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Awareness: What is the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This has been discussed before... AWR is sim only. I don't know why they let it lead to high OVR, except that the depth chart is basically for sim too...
Seriously? Wow, I've never heard that or would have expected that. One would think/common sense would seem that awareness would be football smarts for everyone you are not controlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Ive never seen awareness do anything. Maybe it does something for a QB, but I half doubt it. Hopefully Donny didnt spend to much time figuring out the ratings on the many ones that don't matter.
Maybe it doesn't. But that doesn't seem very intuitive. Not what I would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
I believe awareness is purely based on how the computer handles the player. So it may not have any use to you when you are playing with the player but it would be useful when playing against the same player. Hope that makes sense.
This is what I would expect, but I would also expect it to be useful for all players that you are not currently controlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
It's used to help keep certain players OVR lower than where they would be if it wasn't a factor.
I am absolutely shocked if this is really true.

So why wouldn't awareness effect every player that I am not controlling? Much of the above just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

If awareness is something that comes into play when the AI is controlling players you're not controlling, then a position that most relies on awareness is CB, as most of us would control a LB/DL thru a play.

In my CB tests on M10/M11, I found awareness didn't matter at all.

For online franchise drafted CBs and created CBs in practice mode, I was getting Asomugha-like play with the following ratings:

Speed/Agility/Acceleration: 90+
Pursuit: 85+
Catching/Catch in Traffic: 60+
Man/Zone & Play-recognition: 45-50 (minimum)
Awareness: 12

Ie, all that really mattered most were spd/agi/acc, pursuit, cat/cit.

These CBs (rated OVR in the 50s-60s) were able to blanket top rated receivers (rated OVR in the 80's-90s) when playing man coverage...****nning the receivers route step by step, making the route cuts just before or as the receiver would. Or if playing zone, were similarly top-notch. Never saw a blown coverage or them getting lost.

The catching ones mattered because it put them in good position to get hands on the ball, they had a nose for the ball in flight, would jump in to deflect or intercept. When the catching ones were lowered and lowered, the CBs would not jump routes, not have a nose for the ball in flight, they'd still stick like glue but not as much, and the receiver would always have a small couple yard cushion and catch the ball.

I concluded that Pursuit is incredibly important. I tested many other existing CBs who had really high man/zone, play-recognition, press, speed, etc, but low in pursuit, and I found they often got beat off the jam, WRs open deep, they couldn't blanket receivers thruout their routes and cuts.

Same with LBs in pass defense...high pursuit, catch/cit....were most important.

Yes, if the other ratings were higher (like press, man/zone, etc) their play got better, but the threshold for these numbers was huge. Meaning, a difference from 40 to 70 mightn't be much, say, but once it hit 80, say, then it was a step up.

Last edited by GGEden; 06-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Edit: Nevermind, just delete the thread if its a problem Ryan

Last edited by Phobia; 06-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Not sure what it does, but it would be nice if it controlled things like...

-A RB picking up the blitz
-A WR/TE running the correct option route
-An o-lineman picking up a blitz/stunt
-A DB/LB making correct adjustments in his zone
-A DL recognizing passes vs runs, draws & screens

And if they had gap, read & contain assignments, it could controll d-linemen & LBs being in/out of position.

And I agree with those saying overall ratings should be removed/hidden. I'm not sure what it's good for other than sorting the free agent list.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Not sure what it does, but it would be nice if it controlled things like...

-A RB picking up the blitz
-A WR/TE running the correct option route
-An o-lineman picking up a blitz/stunt
-A DB/LB making correct adjustments in his zone
-A DL recognizing passes vs runs, draws & screens

And if they had gap, read & contain assignments, it could controll d-linemen & LBs being in/out of position.

And I agree with those saying overall ratings should be removed/hidden. I'm not sure what it's good for other than sorting the free agent list.
Yea Bezo I am in same boat as you. I think it should be useful for certain things, but it kinda of goes out the window when you start controlling the guy.

Last edited by Phobia; 06-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9

I could be wrong but I've found that awareness ratings seemed to influence the following.

When controlling backs with higher AWR I thought I noticed that they got through the holes smother, without getting hit as much. I"ve got a beast back in my chise with low awareness (makes his ovr 75, while most of his importan numbers are high 90's). THis guy gets hit in the hole all the time. I thought i was me but I have a guy with high awareness on the same team who splits time. He's smooth as silk throught he hole. The first guy get jostled and bumped and tripped all the time. It just seems harder to AIM him.

Wr - seems to affect their ability to run their routes and react to the ball. I know they have a rating for route running but guys with low awr don't react to the ball. IE. I throw to Fitzgeral over the middle....he gets in a crease and makes the catch. A low AWR maddeningly runs BEHIND the MLB.....he's open then runs himself into being covered.

I could be wrong but it sure seems this way to me....I'd hate to think it had no bearing at all.

Which brings me to DPP......oh well I digress.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Lets look at a example of why I feel awareness needs some bearing on even user controlled players.

1)HB - 97 Speed, 99 Agility, 85 Break tackle, 55 awareness - 68 overall
2)HB - 85 speed, 79 agility, 85 break tackle, 90 awareness - 85 overall

Naturally people are going to start HB 1 if they are controlling the team themselves. Because the awareness rating will make zero difference to the team. But if you are in coach mode only and "watching CPU vs CPU games" then you would start HB 2 because the 85 awareness will make a big difference.

I think their awareness should some how effect even the "human" controlled player. This would make drafting and recruiting just solely on talent less important and give a incentive to drafting a middle of the road in talent guy but extremely good field smarts.

This is one area the vision cone used awareness in a good way to even effect the human controlled player (QB)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I could be wrong but I've found that awareness ratings seemed to influence the following.

When controlling backs with higher AWR I thought I noticed that they got through the holes smother, without getting hit as much. I"ve got a beast back in my chise with low awareness (makes his ovr 75, while most of his importan numbers are high 90's). THis guy gets hit in the hole all the time. I thought i was me but I have a guy with high awareness on the same team who splits time. He's smooth as silk throught he hole. The first guy get jostled and bumped and tripped all the time. It just seems harder to AIM him.

Wr - seems to affect their ability to run their routes and react to the ball. I know they have a rating for route running but guys with low awr don't react to the ball. IE. I throw to Fitzgeral over the middle....he gets in a crease and makes the catch. A low AWR maddeningly runs BEHIND the MLB.....he's open then runs himself into being covered.

I could be wrong but it sure seems this way to me....I'd hate to think it had no bearing at all.

Which brings me to DPP......oh well I digress.
Again, I think that that is probably the BCV rating which may or may not coincidentally be correlated to the AWR. I'm on tapatalk so I can't search for TNT's test but I think he found something for QBs and pretty much nobody else on the field.

And like I said before there's enough people who think it's only used in the sim engine, that I'm willing to bet a dev said it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »