Home

Non-clutch Kickers

This is a discussion on Non-clutch Kickers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Non-clutch Kickers

I'm not necessarily talking about a rating penalty, more of, I just want to feel the pressure of the moment and have more difficulty when the pressure is on.

RIP J.J.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma
If a player proves unreliable in game-winning situations then he is not clutch. There is no argument about it.
What if he's a 60% FG kicker, and in 6/10 game-winning situations he hits the winning FG?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
What if he's a 60% FG kicker, and in 6/10 game-winning situations he hits the winning FG?
Then you get a new kicker.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
One game winner is too small a sample size to go on. If a guy that is 60% FG kicker randomly manifests into a 80% FG kicker in the fourth quarter over the course of a few seasons, then it's probably safe to call him clutch.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Rookie

If you post 1 youtube video as "proof," then you know nothing about sample sizes. Find some macroscopic data showing kickers outperforming their normal performance in "clutch" situations. A good place to go: footballreference.com or footballoutsiders.com.

In order to not be accused of being off topic (like I have before in these sabermetric debates), the reason I believe that this clutch feature should not be in the game is because it decreases the realism of a supposed football simulation. Until you can find definitive macroscopic proof for it, I don't think it should be added to the game.

Go to the NBA 2k forms. On all the sliders, they always say "set clutch to 0." The reason that they say that is because it destroys the realism of 4th quarter field goal percentages. For some reason Bryant shoots 90% when clutch is turned on. You know what he actually shoots in the 4th quarter? Oh yean... the same FG% that he shoots in the "regular" part of the game. A clutch feature decreases the realism of the game.

As for the "you don't believe in pressure" argument. Well, not really I guess. When you consider that these people are professional athletes, it's highly likely that they aren't affected as much as us mere amateurs are by pressure. Think about it, they already play on a regular basis in front of 80,000 people. They do a pretty good job with that, something most of us couldn't handle. Who's to say that just because the game is in "crunch" time they will suddenly crumble under this extra pressure. They are already dealing with a lot. Just my $0.02 though. I have evidence backing me up though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

I can't remember Nate Kaeding making a FG in the playoffs..but I remember him being Mr. Automatic during the regular season

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/01/17/na...woes-continue/

Last edited by franch1se; 06-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatusurper512
If you post 1 youtube video as "proof," then you know nothing about sample sizes. Find some macroscopic data showing kickers outperforming their normal performance in "clutch" situations. A good place to go: footballreference.com or footballoutsiders.com.
I was not offering it as proof, it was meant as a joke. Am I to post a video of every kick Norwood missed in the fourth quarter or when it counted in order to make a joke?

I later said that in order to be named a clutch kicker you would need a larger sample size. I don't see how you correlate the two posts. It almost seems like trolling.

Quote:
In order to not be accused of being off topic (like I have before in these sabermetric debates), the reason I believe that this clutch feature should not be in the game is because it decreases the realism of a supposed football simulation. Until you can find definitive macroscopic proof for it, I don't think it should be added to the game.

Go to the NBA 2k forms. On all the sliders, they always say "set clutch to 0." The reason that they say that is because it destroys the realism of 4th quarter field goal percentages. For some reason Bryant shoots 90% when clutch is turned on. You know what he actually shoots in the 4th quarter? Oh yean... the same FG% that he shoots in the "regular" part of the game. A clutch feature decreases the realism of the game.
I agree.

Quote:
As for the "you don't believe in pressure" argument. Well, not really I guess. When you consider that these people are professional athletes, it's highly likely that they aren't affected as much as us mere amateurs are by pressure. Think about it, they already play on a regular basis in front of 80,000 people. They do a pretty good job with that, something most of us couldn't handle. Who's to say that just because the game is in "crunch" time they will suddenly crumble under this extra pressure. They are already dealing with a lot. Just my $0.02 though. I have evidence backing me up though.
I can agree with this also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »