Home

Making the awareness rating more meaningful

This is a discussion on Making the awareness rating more meaningful within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4
Making the awareness rating more meaningful

I havent bought madden since 08', self imposed ban until I felt they upgraded franchise. Im thinking this might be the year I jump back in. the individual traits could be really cool if they work as advertised. That got me thinking, bear with me.....

I was watching an old episode of hard Knocks and saw just how badly these rookies were doing in training camp. Lineman missing blocks, corners lining up wrong, receivers running the wrong route etc. My question is could this translate into Madden.

I know we already have a dose of missed blocking assignments in madden but this is as far as I know not related to awr rating, correct?
Would it infuriate people if your computer controlled receivers with low awr occasionally ran the wrong route? RB's missing a blocking assignment, linebacker dropping back when they were supposed to blitz. If done with the appropriate frequency I think it would really help differentiate rookies (or any player with low awr) from vets or guys with high overall awr..
What do you think....would it piss people off or be welcomed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Making the awareness rating more meaningful

not a bad thought. i've also thought about how to make low AWR impact the user-controlled player.

for example, i thought for a user QB with low awareness, there could be a small time "penalty" that you have to wait for before the QB throws. this would kinda simulate the indecision a rookie QB with poor Awareness has: he reads the field slower. so, when you press a button to throw to a WR, you have to wait a slit second or something. if you Awareness is 50, you wait 1 second, if it's 60 you wait .8 seconds, if it's 70 you wait .5 seconds, etc.

same with running backs: you don't cut and change direction instantly to correspond with the backs lack of "reading" the field.

it's not realistic to take a player with great physical skills but poor awareness and make him play like an All Pro player.

my $.02. i know most will not like it as they like how easy it is to get a guy with low Awareness as it lowers the overall rating and makes him easier to trade for, draft, etc.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
I havent bought madden since 08', self imposed ban until I felt they upgraded franchise. Im thinking this might be the year I jump back in. the individual traits could be really cool if they work as advertised. That got me thinking, bear with me.....

I was watching an old episode of hard Knocks and saw just how badly these rookies were doing in training camp. Lineman missing blocks, corners lining up wrong, receivers running the wrong route etc. My question is could this translate into Madden.

I know we already have a dose of missed blocking assignments in madden but this is as far as I know not related to awr rating, correct?
Would it infuriate people if your computer controlled receivers with low awr occasionally ran the wrong route? RB's missing a blocking assignment, linebacker dropping back when they were supposed to blitz. If done with the appropriate frequency I think it would really help differentiate rookies (or any player with low awr) from vets or guys with high overall awr..
What do you think....would it piss people off or be welcomed?
I like the idea a lot. I want to see when a RB misses the block not him just standing but blocking the wrong defender. Double teaming when he was suppose to pick up the blitzer.

Seeing rookie mistakes would be real nice, and very realistic.

Great Idea Homie !
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Rookie

crenk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
not a bad thought. i've also thought about how to make low AWR impact the user-controlled player.

for example, i thought for a user QB with low awareness, there could be a small time "penalty" that you have to wait for before the QB throws. this would kinda simulate the indecision a rookie QB with poor Awareness has: he reads the field slower. so, when you press a button to throw to a WR, you have to wait a slit second or something. if you Awareness is 50, you wait 1 second, if it's 60 you wait .8 seconds, if it's 70 you wait .5 seconds, etc.

same with running backs: you don't cut and change direction instantly to correspond with the backs lack of "reading" the field.

it's not realistic to take a player with great physical skills but poor awareness and make him play like an All Pro player.

my $.02. i know most will not like it as they like how easy it is to get a guy with low Awareness as it lowers the overall rating and makes him easier to trade for, draft, etc.
I like your thinking. I had wondered how to get a low awr effect to user controlled players. What are your ideas say for user controlled defenders? I guess you could implement the same concept that they react a little slower. But how would this impact gameplay. if a tackler has even that slight delay would they miss tackles every time do you think?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well rookies don't just suffer from indecision. They also suffer from being too decisive; being too aggressive, making the wrong move, and/or falling for the rouse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

In NCAA, which I assume is the same as Madden, awareness actually does contribute a bit to lineman missing assignments. It has a huge effect on computer-controlled players on the field.

The issue is that it is almost used now as a rating to affect overalls. However, it does affect many things.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Rookie

crenk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1130
In NCAA, which I assume is the same as Madden, awareness actually does contribute a bit to lineman missing assignments. It has a huge effect on computer-controlled players on the field.

The issue is that it is almost used now as a rating to affect overalls. However, it does affect many things.
how does it affect receivers or other positions?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-making.html

This thread is very helpful for ratings and what exactly they do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »