Home

Madden NFL 12 Has Rated Four Players at 99. Overrated? Who Missed the Cut?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Has Rated Four Players at 99. Overrated? Who Missed the Cut? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #73
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Madden NFL 12 Has Rated Four Players at 99, Overrated? Who Missed the Cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I'm amused by the Antonio Gates vs. Witten debate here. I wish this debate happened in Week 12, before Gates finally stopped playing (after having suffered a severe foot injury since the start of the season!)... at that point, Gates was playing the best football from the TE position I have ever seen. I think hindsight is blinding people here. Gates was scary dominant those 10 games, even with the foot injury.

In 10 games, Gates had 10 TDs. (Witten had 9 in 16 games)
In 10 games, Gates had 3 100+ yard performances. (Witten had 1 in 16 games)
Gates had a career high 78.2 yards per game (Witten: 62.6)

More yards per game, more 100+ yard games where he simply took over games, and more TD's... and Gates did it in 6 LESS games! Are you kidding me?

And who were defenses worrying about against San Diego? No Vincent Jackson and all the receivers were injured half the time... Gates got all the defensive attention but it didn't matter.

Compare that to Witten who was practically given all the underneath stuff on a platter from defenses worrying about Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, and even Roy Williams.
Witten can block AND catch. The Cowboys played with a back up qb for most of the season. It was a hot mess in Dallas last year. Gates is good but not a complete player like Witten. Gates should be a 92 or something like that.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0M0mentum09
Amused at the fact that Witten's 44 more catches again aren't mentioned. ALSO Jon Kitna was QBing this Cowboys team a majority of the year and threw Witten 8 of his 9 touchdowns!

So by your 6 less games argument. . . Miles Austin was deserving of being higher than Larry Fitz and Calvin because he put up more yards (than Fitz and Calvin) and 6 more td's than Calvin in 5 less games. Sooo Miles should have been a 96-98 OVR?
The fact that you resort to strawmen (who said anything about Miles Austin?) shows everyone on this board how weak your argument is.

And where do you get this Miles Austin stuff from? He played all 16 games last year. And had less yards than both and less TD's than Calvin Johnson.

Miles Austin: 1041 yards 7 TDs in 16 games
Larry Fitz: 1137 yards 6 TDs in 16 games
Calvin Johnson: 1120 yards 12 TDs in 15 games

So what the heck are you talking about with this irrelevant strawman?

Last edited by phillysouljah; 07-19-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #75
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Witten can block AND catch. The Cowboys played with a back up qb for most of the season. It was a hot mess in Dallas last year. Gates is good but not a complete player like Witten. Gates should be a 92 or something like that.
Witten performed better with the backup. Check the gamelogs. He had only 365 yards and 2 TDs in the first 6 games with Romo under center.

Oh wait... I get it. I put two and two together. You're from Dallas and all these other Witten supporters and Gates detractors have Cowboys stuff as avatars and what not. Ah... silly homerism blinding the obvious.

Last edited by phillysouljah; 07-19-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #76
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Brady is better than Manning. He has more rings and now with statistics he's proving he's the better QB by being more efficient, putting up crazy numbers and making no mistakes. He does just as much as Peyton with calling and controlling the offense but people don't notice that the way they do with Peyton because such a big deal was made earlier in Peyton's career about the audibles and hand signs he does presnap but Brady does all of that as well. Not to mention he won with mediocre WRs, put up ridiculous numbers with good WRs and is still doing it with young WRs.
Manning has won almost as many games as Brady with far below average defenses. It balances out the 'mediocre WR' argument. Brady usually has a far stronger running game. I don't use rings as a measure of individual greatness, otherwise someone could make the argument that Terry Bradshaw was as good a QB as Joe Montana because they both have 4 rings. Or someone could say the Rothelisberger is better than Marino was. C'mon now.

Also, without Brady, Bill Belichik can get 11-5 out of whats his name with his coaching and team he has built. Also, if Vinateri has a couple of bad kicks, Brady is a "choke artist". (Not to mention he needed a kicker to win his Superbowls) Oh and the Tuck Rule in 2001.

The Colts can't even win 2 games without Manning. (Dungy and Irsay are forever douchebags in my book for that boneheaded move.)

And honestly, even Brady has said Manning is the better QB. And before you say "oh he is just being gracious", he could have said nothing on the issue or just said thank you to the people that said he was the best and no one would have said anything bad about him.

I will give that Brady has been really efficient, but he has had better overall teams and far better coaching than Manning has. Really, the only place Brady hasn't consistently had an advantage over Manning is the receiver position, except the year Moss decided to actually play.

All that said, it's like comparing a 10.1k diamond to a 10.2k diamond. The argument for Brady being the best is certainly there and I only dispute it as far as I would personally choose Manning as my QB over Brady.

As I originally said, they both deserve the 99 (it doesn't mean they have the exact same strengths and weaknesses by the way) for the game as they are both absolutely the best at their positions as or right now and are head and shoulders above any other QB playing.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 22

Rivers + Gates deadly combination online.

I am a happy chargers fan
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #78
Rookie

Romomentum, I think I saw you on the comments over at Pastapadre. A guy named Mason is making your arguments word for word so must be you.

Last edited by phillysouljah; 07-19-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 12 Has Rated Four Players at 99. Overrated? Who Missed the Cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Brady? Who won the Superbowl? Rodgers should be a 99.

They won the Superbowl because they have the best recieving corps in the game right now and they have top defense.

Rodgers is very good but look at what brady works with and how good the patriots still are.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #80
W* B*ck!!

Scoop 24's Arena

OVR: 24
After Revis Got healthy. The name a receiver that lit him up? I'll wait.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
MLB: New York Yankees

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »