Home

Rate this Player (Blind Rating Taste Test)

This is a discussion on Rate this Player (Blind Rating Taste Test) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #65
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Rate this Player (Blind Rating Taste Test)

I don't get your rating system either. Example, Adrian Peterson this year will likely have no QB and be stacked with 8 in the box consistently. Say he only manages 700-800 yards because of this, what is his rating? He is clearly a top 2 talent at the RB position but with a weak QB, and a weak O-Line, he's going to see a lot of teams stack against him hindering his stats. You said earlier that you rate people with 700 yards around a 76 and if Peterson is rated a 76 in Madden then something is wrong.

I know you're going to say that you rate people on a three year scale, so the next year, AD gets injured and misses 4 games and again gets 700 yards, that's 2 seasons with 700 yards and that would definitely get a 76-80 rating for the most talented RB in the league (IMO but this isnt the place).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #66
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMstyle
i'm not trying to be an @ss but i'd rate him an 89. i think he's got the most potential of any WR currently in the league. (including AJ--who i think is a STUD) but we rate measurables...not opinions. that's the main problem in Madden now...too much extrapolating and rationalizing. rate what's there...not what COULD be.

Megatron's last 3 years he didn't have 1,000 yards receiving. an elite player would do that. (e.g. look at Fitzy's last 3 years...and he might have had the worst QB situation in the league last year)
Well it's pretty clear you don't pay attention to many teams because he had 1,100+ receiving this year, 984 yards in 2009 after missing two and some of a third game and 1,300+ yards in 2008. Then you can throw in the 29 touchdowns he caught in those years, 12 in both that he went over 1,000 yards.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly3
Well if it's a RB I'd say 2008/2009 would make him 60-65 a backup can get that many yards

the 1000+ season I'd say about a 79 because it's only one season he got 1000+ so I don't think he should be any better than average.

There are a lot of 1000+ yard rushers that do nothing the next year, but if he performed at the same pace the next year, then go up, but if he's abck to 400 or 500 yards, right back down.
1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in a 16 game season. That is only 63 yards a game. 4.4 YPC is also very pedestrian. Hillis is a very average back who barely had a slightly above average season. In 2010, there were 17 1000 yard rushers.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #68
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911
1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in a 16 game season. That is only 63 yards a game. 4.4 YPC is also very pedestrian. Hillis is a very average back who barely had a slightly above average season. In 2010, there were 17 1000 yard rushers.
1. He wasn't the starter for the first two games.
2. He was injured for the last 2-4 games.
3. He put up 1600 yards and 13 TDs (and 8 fumbles)
4. He runs with tremendous power, great vision, catches the ball as good as any RB in the league, and did all of this with a bad team in which he was the focus on every play for the defense.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911
you can say that, which illustrates why we have to watch to see who has special ability when making those 1,000 yds.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 0

I wish I could partake in activities like this, but my obsession with football statistics prevents me from blindly looking at any statistics.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
You do realize that Ryan Torain averaged over 74 yards per game, which would give him over 1100 yards if he had played 16 games. If he's 70-74, then the guy we're rating should certainly be in that range as well.

Edit: Yeah, 90 is certainly too high, but a 76 means that he is almost guaranteed to not repeat his same performance in 2011. In his first year as a featured back he performed well, so what is your reason for assuming that he will perform more poorly in the next season?
Lol I knew when I saw this thread that it wasn't an innocent guessing game and that there had to be an agenda behind it.

1 It's a good thing that they dont rate sole on stats....
2 Also Hillis was their ONLY offensive threat and still put up those numbers.
3 Make sure you check his receptions and such.
4 He was also injured for a couple games and missed parts of a couple others.
5 he faced 8 and 9 in the box all season
6 the browns had a brutal.schedule. faced most of the top 10 defenses in the league
7 when he got the chance to start in denver his rookie year, he put up the same type of numbers for those 2 games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMstyle
i've got no problem with that. we can agree to disagree. i rate consistency higher than most. 1 year of rushing for 1,000 yards anyone can do (i.e. Michael Bennett) 5 years in a row is much more difficult.

at their core sports games function from ratings. its one of the main reasons (along with the engine) madden plays like it does. IMO rating players like Aaron Rodgers higher than Peyton because he was better than him in 2010 makes no sense. Peyton has played @ a high level for a decade..reward him for it by not giving a guy with a smaller body of work a rating higher than his.

we dont rate players on their wins, but it IS a factor. a scout i know says: "anyone can score twenty when your down twenty." he's right too. 1100 yards for a 3-13 team don't equal what they would for a contender...players put up "empty" numbers all the time. we've seen this example in sports constantly when guys who excel on bad teams don't perform a the highest stage.

in the end, the ratings need to come down so we don't have the things you see in my sig. we rate players at a slower pace so that we can avoid the ratings inflation we have now. FACT: jeremy maclin (eagle WR) is rated an 85 and still hasnt had a 1,000 yard season.
Hillis only played a significant amount of time in 11 games
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo.../peyton-hillis

Last edited by CRMosier_LM; 07-22-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added information

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »