Home

A Discussion for the OS Madden 2012 Reviewers

This is a discussion on A Discussion for the OS Madden 2012 Reviewers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: A Discussion for the OS Madden 2012 Reviewers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Hmm, how 'bout that? So, there isn't true man coverage from a base defense against I formation WR twin formations? Learn something new everyday. Good nugget of info. I'll have to go to the film.

I know I have seen it defended with zones where an LB slides over with safety help over the top, or a safety just drops down, but I did not know that there were never any man calls against it.
Didn't say they didn't play man against it. Just said they didn't bring the CB across the formation much anymore.

I never really noticed it before or really paid attention. I read an article about just this in AFCA magazine or whatever it's called about a year ago and then noticed it more.

How different is this tendency team to team? Not sure.

EDIT:
now that I think about it how many times do you really see a twins alignment from say 21 personnel vs. base at the NFL level anymore anyway? I wish I had some grouping and formation breakdowns. Although I doubt EA really looks at those for their logic anyway.

Last edited by bkrich83; 07-28-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Didn't say they didn't play man against it. Just said they didn't bring the CB across the formation much anymore.

I never really noticed it before or really paid attention. I read an article about just this in AFCA magazine or whatever it's called about a year ago and then noticed it more.

How different is this tendency team to team? Not sure.

EDIT:
now that I think about it how many times do you really see a twins alignment from say 21 personnel vs. base at the NFL level anymore anyway? I wish I had some grouping and formation breakdowns. Although I doubt EA really looks at those for their logic anyway.
If you are going to run man against the twin formation then that means your OLB is going to matched against a wide receiver, or the safety. There are only so many safeties that cover receivers man to man, so it would almost always have to be an automatic check to a zone, I would think in real life.

I see twins quite a bit from running teams. The Bengals, Saints, Bucs, Falcons, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Keeping it with Madden, the lack of automatic recognition in Madden: in Nickel, the Nickel Back doesn't automatically line up against the slot, and if I go to twins against a base defense, the corner doesn't come across the formation. There is almost always a LB on my receiver and it isn't always a zone call the CPU is running which is an easy win for me.

I'm going to the film, though. I'll be back
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Great stuff guys. I'd love to see these things addressed in review. I don't think I've seen a review of a football game go in that much detail.
I haven't read every review on this site, but the APF review was one that I thought went heavily into detail (for it's time):

http://www.operationsports.com/revie...-football-2k8/

Contrast that w/the other football games reviewed that year:

http://www.operationsports.com/revie...madden-nfl-08/

http://www.operationsports.com/revie...a-football-08/

I remember debating the different approaches/expectations of the games based on the reivews back then in the various review threads. Granted it's different reviewers, but expectations seemed to differ. Given that Madden (and NCAA) don't have any competition, I'd agree w/the OP in that there needs to be some standard these games are held to for review purposes - rather than just being compared to their previous iterations

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I'd love to see that kind of detail in a review. I know Trojan Man and I (English majors with writing backgrounds) would be more than willing to put the time in to write such a review. Unfortunately, in the world of deadlines, I don't know if these type of reviews are possible.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

Last edited by DJ; 07-28-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I know Trojan Man and me (English majors with writing backgrounds)
Shouldn't it be "Trojan Man and I", Mr. English major?

---

I'd support more in-depth reviews, and actually think Operation Sports' new approach to reviews (having it broken down into multiple articles) would lend itself more to doing that.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Shouldn't it be "Trojan Man and I", Mr. English major?

---

I'd support more in-depth reviews, and actually think Operation Sports' new approach to reviews (having it broken down into multiple articles) would lend itself more to doing that.
Gotta love the iPad and it's corrections, lol. Speaking of which, does anyone know how to turn those auto-corrections off on this thing? They seem to always edit mistakes into long sentences.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

I like the OP way of reviewing Football games.(This can work with other sports to.)I hope we get a review something like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Gotta love the iPad and it's corrections, lol. Speaking of which, does anyone know how to turn those auto-corrections off on this thing? They seem to always edit mistakes into long sentences.
To turn auto correct off:

1. Navigate to Settings -> General -> Keyboard

2. Touch Auto-Correction -> OFF

http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-...ad-autocorrect

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »