Home

Final cut down day roster size?

This is a discussion on Final cut down day roster size? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Final cut down day roster size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
Mr. Dembroski, since you're here answering a few questions about rosters, I hope you won't mind another two.

1) Are there any plans to remove to position limitations on the depth chart? For example, as it now stands, I cannot assign a quarterback to be my 5th-string WR. That may be a bad example, but as it stands I feel limited in how I can fill my depth chart.

2) Are there any plans to make more advanced or situational depth charts? Such as special teams depth charts, 3rd down depth charts, etc..
yeah special teams is a BIG one, I want my back ups to be playing special teams not starters (who then get tired) if there was formation subs would work better i guess
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 13

I'd much rather have depth charts for special teams than just formation subs (both would be best), because with depth charts, if a player is tired or injured you can still have a backup or less important player take their place. With just formation subs, if someone is injured then someone else will be picked by default that you might not want playing special teams.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #27
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I'd much rather have depth charts for special teams than just formation subs (both would be best), because with depth charts, if a player is tired or injured you can still have a backup or less important player take their place. With just formation subs, if someone is injured then someone else will be picked by default that you might not want playing special teams.
yeah true but for this year and now i wish we could have formation subs for speical teams like we once could. the back up QB shoud not be the holder
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Mr. Dembroski, since you're here answering a few questions about rosters, I hope you won't mind another two.

1) Are there any plans to remove to position limitations on the depth chart? For example, as it now stands, I cannot assign a quarterback to be my 5th-string WR. That may be a bad example, but as it stands I feel limited in how I can fill my depth chart.

2) Are there any plans to make more advanced or situational depth charts? Such as special teams depth charts, 3rd down depth charts, etc..
I really can't comment on "future plans" at the moment. We're in the midst of preproduction at the moment, and anything can be added or cut at any moment right now.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #29
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

When you start your franchise is irrelevant, it's about which roster you use. If you save the release-day downloaded roster, you should have full rosters to begin with. I believe we'll ship with around 70 per team, but it might be 74 (1 spot has to be left open for Superstar).

We discussed practice squads... the problem we we'd need to add a 'game' reason to have them. As of now, they'd have no purpose if we were to do them right... they'd just be a bunch of guys you're paying. They don't count against the cap, and other teams can sign them to their active rosters, so they're just a complicated free agency mechanic at the moment.

And, no, you don't have to make any cuts before the first preseason game. You have to make 3 cuts before you advance to week 2 of the preseason, but they can be made before or after playing your first game.

Let me try to address as much of this discussion as I can here...

The reason we haven't had IR working correctly in the past was because of the 55 player roster limit. We've fixed that, IR works now. The roster size is 75 now, and your preseason limit will be 75 with cut down points throughout the preseason.

The reason it's 55 instead of the real life 53 is because of the minimums... generally, there are teams that'll carry one less Fullback and one less Defensive Tackle than our minimums require, thus we simply give you an extra roster spot to address each of those. If you're a team like the Colts, who don't carry a true fullback, you can sign a league minimum fullback to fill the spot and it doesn't take up one of your 53.

The reason those minimums are their is legacy code... the current substitution AI could potentially choke on the missing FB if you used the Colts but a different playbook. Something we want to address eventually, but it's fairly low priority since we can sort of deal with it through the roster minimums. We are aware of the salary cap aspect of the issue, and we're hoping to address it in the near future.
Thanks for your response and clarification on cut days.

Practice Squad. The purpose is the same as Minor leagues in baseball to a point (to develop players). These players practice with the team during the week. As they would be available during practice. They would gain knowledge of your playbook and increase there AWR in your system!
These players do count against the cap, at least in the 90's they did when the cap was first installed.

"There is no limit on what a club can pay a practice squad player, but it all counts toward the team's salary cap. With NFL teams averaging over $7 million of cap space in reserve, you will see more teams paying very good money for players on the practice squad." - Pat Kirwan

I remember the Cowboys being so tight up against the cap that they could not field a full practice squad.

When a player is injured a team usually moves a player off the practice squad and on to the 53 man roster. They already have an idea and knowledge of the playbook & there AWR should be high (as to knowing your system.) At least higher than signing a street free agent or trading for a player who has no clue and would need weeks to catch up to speed on the system the team was running.
Yes, teams look at other teams practice squads when they make roster moves. Based on injuries or shaking things up, each team is notified and would have to make a decision. Adding that player or letting him go to another team.
The practice squad is to develop talent. The Cowboys have used this to it's advantage and it's come back to bite them. Trying to slip players through on fianl cuts, then lose the player(s) as other teams add them to there 53 man roster.

It adds something more to the management of the game.......
----------------------------
as for Special Teams.....

Each Player should have a Special Team Rating. Every Player does not play special teams. This makes cutting down to 55 more interesting. Do you keep the WR with good to great potentialas a WR, but low special teams rating. Or do you keep the average WR, but with good to great special teams rating?

and we need LS to come in to play, along with ratings for long snapping. Which would flow along the lines as a Special Teams Rating.
---------------------------

In Franchise mode....

When signing a street free agent, will he sign for the minimum? Just as the CPU would sign the same player. Always ticked me off that I would have to offer $750,000-plus to get a player to sign. While the CPU would sign the same player to his asking price of $375,000-or lower for a 1yr. deal.

Thank You if answered and taking the time, Appreciated!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Step2001; 08-02-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I really can't comment on "future plans" at the moment. We're in the midst of preproduction at the moment, and anything can be added or cut at any moment right now.
Okay I understand. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »