Home

Include CFL in Madden?

This is a discussion on Include CFL in Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Include CFL in Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldog39
speaking of the CFL I don't see why EA can have NFL while 2k could have the CFL. that could help the 2k fix people are looking for.
Yes! This would allow 2k to get their engine and so on down. If this were to happen, it would begin to scare EA because 2k could represent a potential threat of competition down the line.
Therefore, we would get a better game in the future.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

The last CFL game flopped badly. There's no market for a CFL game.

And yes, Madden used to have NFL Europe teams but they had nameless rosters.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #19

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Yea, similar attempts have failed and I doubt the exclusive contract would even allow for it.

On top of that, I don't think there is enough of a market to justify the work that would go into it. It sucks for the CFL fans, but it's just not realistic.

I would think that if there was as much of a market for a CFL game as the OP implies it would have been created by now...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
Rookie

Jays20593's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
Canada is far too small of a market
I laughed.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
Rookie

kiz5's Arena

OVR: 3

This has to be a joke.

There's absolutely no reason for it. And, they'd lose money with the time they spend developing a CFL game as well. Same 7 opponents over and over? Talk about boring.
Madden gamer since 93, Madden Online Record: 252-31, #360 overall
NCAA gamer since 2002
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
The last CFL game flopped badly. There's no market for a CFL game.

And yes, Madden used to have NFL Europe teams but they had nameless rosters.
I am guessing you are not a CFL fan. But if you knew the history of the league you'd understand that the 90's were a very dark age for the CFL, they lost an entire generation of fans. As of now the CFL is probably stronger than its ever been with a brand new generation of fans who are TEENS! Teens buy video game, simple as that. I'm not unrealistic and I do notice that this has the slimmest chance of ever happening.

CFL regular season games draw better TV ratings than NHL hockey games in Canada, there is most definitely a market in Canada for a game.
NHL: Colorado Avalanche
NCAABB: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 13

It's unrealistic for them to create a completely separate CFL game. Honestly there isn't a big enough market to justify making a high-quality game, and I wouldn't want a low quality game.

As for adding it to Madden, the more I think of it the more I think it's a bad idea.
As much as I love the CFL and would love to see it in the game, I just don't think it would work.
First of all there's the gameplay issues. The motion on offense would be hell to program, and they'd have to write AI logic for the extra man on the field.
For managing the teams, they'd have to include Canadian-to-American player ratios logic, which is very complex in real life. There's also the fact that the minimum contract in the CFL is now two years, so there's not as much movement back and forth between the leagues as there was in the past.
Finally, if they included the CFL in Madden it would sort of imply that the CFL is the minor league for the NFL, when that is simply not the case. Sure, the talent level is on average higher in the NFL than the CFL, but that is because there is more television and advertising revenue to be had in the NFL. The fact is, though, that it takes a different skill-set to be successful in the CFL compared to the NFL. There have been plenty of NFL players who have come up north and have failed miserably, and there have been plenty of CFLers who have come to the NFL and succeeded (Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, Warren Moon, Cameron Wake).
Think of it this way: The best player in the CFL is generally considered to be Anthony Calvillo (the quarterback for the Montreal Alouettes). I would wager heavily that he is good enough to be at least an average NFL starter. How would that translate into the game though? Would you give him a rating of, say, 75 overall? If you gave him that, Madden players would probably sign him to an NFL contract. That's highly unrealistic though because in real life there's no chance of him going to the NFL. There's plenty of other players like that in the CFL, who are really good in that league, but are never going to sign in the NFL.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

No thanks, id rather keep the free space for rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »