Home

Team Ratings

This is a discussion on Team Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Donny Moore

it wouldn't matter if he had 500 guys working with him, they dont have the elements/logic that set football players apart in every position.

ex. in madden percy harvin is a better WR than fitzgerald, he is faster/cuts faster so he gets open faster/and has better RB ratings for yac yds...

fitz can dominate a DB with his crisp routes and technique then display superior hands/leaping

harvin needs the ball in space/a foot race in a mismatch, i have watched my share of vikes games i have yet to see him run a crisp route in consecutive plays...so why does he have an 80+ route running rating, he should 50 or less BUT that would give him a 65 OVR so to bump up his OVR(so he can be recognised as a good player) they give him an ability he does not have....

its tough to rate guys accurately and still arrive at those grand numbers fans want....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: Team Ratings

Quote:
DECEBB has a thread around here somewhere which he breaks that stuff down. The point is every rating should be data driven and have a universal standard. That way when a player or fan asks "Why is ___ rated like this?", the answer will be uniform.
Yeah I've actually read that whole thread. He's got good ideas, but I wouldn't want even him doing all the ratings on his own. I even posted in his thread that I'd like him to be in charge of Madden ratings, but the decisions should not be up to one person and one person alone.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
it wouldn't matter if he had 500 guys working with him, they dont have the elements/logic that set football players apart in every position.

ex. in madden percy harvin is a better WR than fitzgerald, he is faster/cuts faster so he gets open faster/and has better RB ratings for yac yds...

fitz can dominate a DB with his crisp routes and technique then display superior hands/leaping

harvin needs the ball in space/a foot race in a mismatch, i have watched my share of vikes games i have yet to see him run a crisp route in consecutive plays...so why does he have an 80+ route running rating, he should 50 or less BUT that would give him a 65 OVR so to bump up his OVR(so he can be recognised as a good player) they give him an ability he does not have....

its tough to rate guys accurately and still arrive at those grand numbers fans want....
If Percy Harvin is a 65 when rated accurately, then they need to re-work the formula they use for determining Overall.
The alternative is rating players inarticulately, which I think should be unacceptable.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
I just think it's wrong for any "one guy" to do the full job. And I think the reasoning is obvious.

I'm afraid it isn't obvious to me. The only thing that is obvious to me is that if the ratings were done properly in your opinion, that you wouldn't care how many people did the job.

The other obvious thing to me is that Donny is not "alone." He has a whole team around him that he could bounce ideas off of if he needed to. The fact that they aren't labeled as part of the ratings team doesn't make any difference.

Let's not forget that he is in the enviable position of working at EA/Tiburon, and all that comes along with that. Namely, access to the NFL, and more SMEs than you can shake a stick at.

I don't see how more people helps when the workload is nowhere near too much for one person. Unless... you just don't think he's the right one person.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
If Percy Harvin is a 65 when rated accurately, then they need to re-work the formula they use for determining Overall.
The alternative is rating players inarticulately, which I think should be unacceptable.
no i am saying if they took away an ability that he does not have like route running he would be a 65...

they need to scrap the OVR rating or not have it factored by other ratings, becuase as it stands madden logic says that if a WR is 80+ he is a great route runner has good release etc....

since they use other ratings to push up OVR to show good players they have to boost many categories EX. for years randy moss had a 95 agility then devin hester had 98.. is moss juking and turning/cutting like hester HELL NO but if you gave him 70 his OVR drops to 85(in his prime)

they need to get rid of the templates, every play maker at a position does not all use the same skillz...

asante does not play like revis/woodson does not play like nmamdi

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
Pro

Perhaps the solution is what they did in Head Coach. As I understand it, the overall was calculated differently depending on the system used by the team. So in one system Percy Harvin would be a 65, but in another system he would be an 80.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »