Home

Cut down days and Overall player ratings

This is a discussion on Cut down days and Overall player ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4
Cut down days and Overall player ratings

Is it possible to have a player with a lower overall rating be a better player, or have a better career overall than a higher rated player? I know that players around them etc make a difference but what I am asking is this:
We now have the ability to cut players. Lets say in preseason, you have 2 receivers in camp. One rated a 75 and one a 68. The 68 appears to have a better camp, more TD's, more catches. Is there any chance that he can be a better player/have a better career or is he destined to be worse in madden no matter what? I ask because Iam wondering if these cut down days will mean anything or if essentially it will just be pick the highest rated overall players again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Cut down days and Overall player ratings

The biggest thing about the cutdown days is you will not know the ratings of your draft picks right away. They will be revealed with playing time in preseason. The more you play them the more you will learn about them. You may be cutting players that you don't know how good they are yet. This is the real intrigue with the cutdown days.

As far as your receivers example, I would suggest looking at ratings other than the overall. That may be why your 68 had a better preseason than the 75. And yes a 68 can have a better career than a 75 if they have different strengths and weaknesses.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Rookie

crenk's Arena

thanks for the info....glad to see that they are hiding our draft picks ratings until after pre season. Are they doing the same with un-drafted free agents that we invite to camp?

What do you think about this? I would argue that they should hide every players rating after free agency so you cant see progression/regression until after pre season as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

^ I'd love that, I'd even be happy if they showed the previous year's rating until after preseason then you see the pregression/regression, so you have to decide who to cut based on who you think still has it in them or if they lost it.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

I guess now, playing pre-season games are manditory, that is why in the first pre-season game my starters will play a series or two.

Last edited by crob8822; 08-06-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
MVP

kc2135's Arena

I wish they would actually add a practice squad for each team so once you cut a player they can go through waivers and if no team picks them up you wou,d be able to retain them to your practice squad and they would be there if an injury occurs to one of your players that made your roster
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Pro

crob8822's Arena

Another possibility is cutting under the 53 because another team might cut a prospect that is a better player than your 53rd player.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Rookie

crenk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2135
I wish they would actually add a practice squad for each team so once you cut a player they can go through waivers and if no team picks them up you wou,d be able to retain them to your practice squad and they would be there if an injury occurs to one of your players that made your roster
agreed, and they can progress throughout the year as well especially those that have low awr ratings. Practice squads would allow you to protect guys that you think may have future value

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »