Home

EA is shutting down madden ebook websites aka cheeser websites

This is a discussion on EA is shutting down madden ebook websites aka cheeser websites within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: EA is shutting down madden ebook websites aka cheeser websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Madden is not a monopoly. Other companies can make football games, and there's plenty of other games out there. Calling Madden a monopoly is like Mcdonald's one because that's the only place to get a big mac.

As far as these strategy sites, it is illegal to use images or trademarks of a product without the permission of the owner of said trademarks. Period. EA has let these people slide for years, and now that EA's partner Prima feels that it will hurt their sales, EA would be in breach of contract if they let these other sites continue to run.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
This is the hypocrisy though. If Prima made a better guide maybe it wouldn't hurt their sales. That's the whole issue is these companies ganging up on the other guy so they can keep exclusive rights. Someone starts doing something better, EA just comes in with the banhammer. It's the same thing with their football game. They've partnered themselves with the NFL where no one else can use that license. The rich get richer. These small companies can't outbid EA for the license so EA keeps raking in the profits. There is no competition. Maybe there would be a better football game than madden by now but there isn't because EA keeps raking in the profits and buying everything up and has a stranglehold on the industry.

It would be great if this was just about video games. But it's mroe than that. It's companies like this that are the issue in more things than you know.

I know Kobra personally. He just wanted to make strategy guides for football games. He loves football. That's who he is. What can he do? You say he should have known better. What was he to do?

I'm not like that. I just think it's a game. But that's him.

When you aren't allowed to do what you love. Come back to me and tell me otherwise. When these companies take your family and your job and your love. Tell me otherwise.

And you wonder why you are sitting in a cubicle all day hoping for a handout from the man. Then go off on people like they dont have a real job. I disagree. I think Kobra had a reall job. It's the people sitting in cubicles working for the man who are the real *******.

Did you get that raise this week?

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
Hey TNT, remember when you said there'd come a time we would see eye to eye on an issue.

This is it.

Very accurate post, and again, pathetic by the rest who feel the need to protect Prima's revenue stream. It truly baffles my brain.
Prima paid for the exclusive rights to sell those guides. The sites that got shut down did not... How hard is that to understand? It's basically the same as copyright infringement. It us technically illegal.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #59
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

can the sites operate if they dont sell the ebooks?? i mean some of those sites had some decent stuff, and i dont think they should be closed, but the sites that were built to sell ebooks, will and should be canned.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #60
Banned

Why would anyone in their right mind invest tons of time and money into making a football game that isn't going to have the nfl license or prove profitable? You'd have to be nuts to do that. Or just totally love football and not mind losing your shirt. Why would any company invest in that? Because it's not going to sell. You are going to lose money. The cost of development has been driven through the roof by these companies/individuals copyrighting and licensing everything. It's not just EA. It's a disease.

2k cancelled their nfl title immediately. If they had kept investing money in that they would have gone out of business.

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-17-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Prima paid for the exclusive rights to sell those guides. The sites that got shut down did not... How hard is that to understand? It's basically the same as copyright infringement. It us technically illegal.
Exclusive rights to what exactly?

Unless I have the wrong impression, these people aren't selling Prima guides as their own, they are doing their own work, own production, and selling their own guides. I don't see how you could ever sue someone or shut them down for that. It honestly makes no sense to me.

I'm literally laughing at how you can say this is basically copyright infringement and then in other threads you will give people grief for saying EA/Madden has a "monopoly" on football games.

So am I liable to be sued if I tell my buddy how to play Madden better when he comes over?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Unless I have the wrong impression, these people aren't selling Prima guides as their own, they are doing their own work, own production, and selling their own guides. I don't see how you could ever sue someone or shut them down for that. It honestly makes no sense to me.

I'm literally laughing at how you can say this is basically copyright infringement and then in other threads you will give people grief for saying EA/Madden has a "monopoly" on football games.

So am I liable to be sued if I tell my buddy how to play Madden better when he comes over?
its kind of like the warning you hear during games about the rebroadcast, of this without the permission of said sport is prohibited. you wont get in trouble for video taping a game and showing your buddies, but if you open up a bar and you show old NFL games all day long without the nfl's permission you better believe that Roger Goddell will be sending his legal goon squad after you. Its not what you do, its how it is done, and are you making money from it.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:

Because they are using hte madden trademark to do it. The reality is Madden is just a tool at this point and is the only game out there. If you are going to make a strategy guide for a football game obviously you are going to use madden. If I use madden as a teaching tool that's fine. But they are saying these people are profiting off of their trademark. If I were to charge for it that would be different. That is EA's argument and what they are trying to spin it off as. When it really just has to do with greed. Someone made a better guide then prima so now they are shutting them down. Why didnt they do it before? Because they weren't a threat.

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #64
Banned

RememberMe12's Arena

OVR: 3

Bottomline is, if you do it for free you are fine.

If you make money off of it, that's where the problem lies.

How hard is it to understand?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »