Home

What do you do on defence?

This is a discussion on What do you do on defence? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
What do you do on defence?

I have played Madden games casually over the years, but haven't bought a game in a long while. I plan to buy Madden 12, but one thing is bugging me.

I always defence on the game to be a bit boring... I love when I have the ball and I just find myself zoning out slightly when I am on D. I like picking plays and trying to disrupt the offense, but I'm not sure what position to play or what to do to make it more fun.

In theory I like playing as middle linebackers or safeties, but I find that's too hard, as I miss one coverage and the opponent will be able to complete a big pass.

Being a lineman is OK, but I find it gets a bit redundant over and over and there isn't much to do.

Is there an option to sim until your team is back on offense?
What do you guys do when you are on D? What positions do you play and what do you do to make it a bit more interesting and enjoyable, as compard to offense? Any advice would be appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What do you do on defence?

Yes there is an option to Super Sim when you are defense...
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Supersim is your friend. You can sim the defensive side of the ball and get back to offense.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I only ever use the MLB .. and I personally find it to be funner to make big stops on defense than it is to score TDs on the offensive side of the ball ..

I do not believe there is much advice someone can give that will make you enjoy it more ..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I pick the play and I sit there and let the xbox control my defense and just watch. I take over if an interception is made but that is about it. I play offense only.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

I play as the MLB on D...playing safety is too dangerous for me as well...my stick skills aren't quite good enough to prevent bombs consistently. I tend to use Ask Madden to choose plays and only change it if it's a dumb call (ie. he's in a 4-3 with 2 seconds left in the game....I'll switch to prevent).

Not knocking you at all over this btw....and if you supersim, be aware that unless it's been fixed in m12 you can get some unrealistic stats.....the supersim doesn't seem to account for time spent in the huddle, so you'll get the ball back in like 10 secs if it's a three and out.

Here's my suggestion to you. Learn about how to play defense. Learn what each D is supposed to do, why it's set up that way etc.
For example: Why would you use a nickel or dime instead of the base defense? (and do you know what a base defense is). Also as the MLB you should be:
1. reading the guards through to FB to determine where to go. REal MLB don't look for the ball...it's a good way to get your clock cleaned and end up out of position. If the guards pull 95% of the time the ball is going that way. Your pursuit should be inside-out...meaning you are behind the guard as you parallel him.....you have to play for the back to cut inside the guards block.
2. If the guards stand up it's a pass (although it can be a draw, that's why you read through to the FB as well). On a pass you take 2 read steps back as you check FB or other activity to be sure it's a pass).
3. If they fire out of the stance it's a run....on a run you step up.
4. IRL you watch the stances of the guards....it's the rare player that doesnt' give some slight tip into if he's pass or run blocking (weight on his hands...****n block...weight back on his heels pass block)...of course you can't do this in madden......in the NFL by the way the do learn to not show this but there are still times in the game when they will. Of course that's why you see alot of two point stances now....they pass alot and they don't give it away if it's a run.
5. Know which way your lineman are moving, you do the opposite. If they are fanning out, you step inside. They are slanting left, your first step is right. They are pinching, your first step is outside.

I could go on and on but suffice to say that if you understand D and the position you are playing it gets more fun. You are focusing much more on what's happening and cant' afford to daydream.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1

In madden:
Defense > Offense

I love playing defense.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Dang never realized people "hated" (for lack of a better term) on playing defense. I'm more offensively inclined, but I appreciate a good defense. I would suggest getting more creative with your calls, or invest time into better understanding what a particular style or plays will require for you to be more successful in turn making "playing" defense more enjoyable.

I'd start by using "Defensive Assist" while controlling a LB/S so that the game gets you in the general position. Once the ball is passed or run try to make the tackle/swat/INT on your own. Once you start making impact plays on defense you'll see your game take-off and your enjoyment go up. Also if you're strictly offline join a community or an OLF, it's far more satisfying stopping a user vs the CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »