Home

This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

This is a discussion on This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #73
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans

But what I dont understand is why we should not compare these 2 games? Isnt competition a good thing?
There is a good reason why we can't and that is because it's against forum rules. I was just in the NCAA Patch Details thread and someone mentioned what a great idea it would be for the other game to come out with HD graphics, ectc, etc....

A mod came in and said there is no talk on other football games and gave a last warning.

Ever since I started posting here, it has been taboo to discuss one game against the other because invariably, the thread starts coming apart, unraveling, and spiraling out of control.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #74
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Maybe some people didn't realize it but the video the OP posted brought 2k into the discussion, not "agenda" drivers.

Also, just out of curiosity, where did this whole don't compare games come from? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense considering Ian used to say they had NFL 2k5 playing in the Tiburon office. lol. Seem likes if a Madden dev felt comfortable directly comparing them, then the discussion should be ok. In fact, that's what reasonable people do with any video game, is compare it to other games. That's the best way to give a visual example of what a person wants to see added or done.

Also. I question the perception of the exclusive license being a good business decision, after all. I think in most buyout cases, one company is offering a superior product and actually acquires the other company, not cutoff their competitors supplier and leaving the competitors former customers hanging.

I really don't see how cornering the NFL gaming market without then offering a product with key elements of the former competitors product, makes much sense for increasing sales. It would seem that the main intent of the exclusive licenses was to eliminate direct competition to allow for drastic cuts in production cost, while continuing to make profit through marketing Madden's and the NFL's brand recognition. If I am not mistaken, Madden wasn't the only NFL product EA has put out these past 6 years.

After 6 years of these type of corporate business decisions it seems EA has finally decided that making Madden a realistic NFL football game, is the way to go. That's what a whole lot of football gamers have been stating, on various mediums, for this entire console generation.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 10

Well with all due respect too the mods there is a standard too madden, that other games haves excelled in. We point too other games because what they did best and want madden too excel in that fashion. Madden is not the standard and we can't compare pass Maddens because they where fundamentally flawed. When Madden get too that point, then we don't have too compare other games in the past, and can compare madden too madden. That's why we debate, to make the best game possibly and closest too real life that we can get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 2

Madden just makes me so frustrated. All the resources and nothing. 7 years on next gen still no illegal contact, working pass interference, or inelgible wr(2k5 had it) Thats what really irks me about madden.why dont ea care about flags. Sega genesis had PI working pretty well. That system is over 20 years old. Ea should be ashamed for that. I was geeked uP for the hype, but that demo did nothing for me. Lol i brought a ps3 this year just for madden (and 2k12), my first madden purchase since 06'. But im really leaning on just keeping ncaa and not buying madden.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #77
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladyclad
Madden just makes me so frustrated. All the resources and nothing. 7 years on next gen still no illegal contact, working pass interference, or inelgible wr(2k5 had it) Thats what really irks me about madden.why dont ea care about flags. Sega genesis had PI working pretty well. That system is over 20 years old. Ea should be ashamed for that. I was geeked uP for the hype, but that demo did nothing for me. Lol i brought a ps3 this year just for madden (and 2k12), my first madden purchase since 06'. But im really leaning on just keeping ncaa and not buying madden.
This is why people saying "it's just a video game" and "no game will ever be perfect" doesn't make sense to me when discussing Madden. When the game doesn't have seemingly routine penalties like illegal contact, ineligible man downfield, along with pass interference existing but barely ever called, I don't see how the discussion turns into "well nobody's perfect".

It's like a student with a D average saying "you can't expect me to get ALL As", lol. No but there are grades between A and D just like there are between Perfection and current Madden.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #78
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This is why people saying "it's just a video game" and "no game will ever be perfect" doesn't make sense to me when discussing Madden. When the game doesn't have seemingly routine penalties like illegal contact, ineligible man downfield, along with pass interference existing but barely ever called, I don't see how the discussion turns into "well nobody's perfect".
It's been a huge pet peeve of mine about no def PI called over the years, but I don't really see illegal contact and ineligible man downfield as being routine penalties. I see them called occasionally. I guess it depends on what your definition of routine is.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 0

This is like the people who used to say if you don't like it just get the other game and don't do business with EA. At least you have a choice. I don't buy this stuff for good reason. This guy doesn't speak the truth. It is just a game. That much is true. This is also a free country and EA like so many other businesses have a stranglehold on the industry. It is just a game but it's more than that too. If EA wants to rake in the money and say they are the best of the best then be that. Otherwise allow other people to make football games if you can't put out the best product possible.

I'm as laid back as anyone. It is just a game. But it's also money out of my pocket I choose to spend or not if I love football and want to play a footballg ame. It would be nice if it was just football games but but it's really not. IT's companies like this that are the issue and it's a bigger issue than that. IF these companies want to lie and milk it for everything it's worth. That's fine. It's their business and they can do twhat they want. I get it. They are trying to maximize their business. They have every right to do that. But there are always two sides to the story. What is truth ultimately? I have every right to say this.

Half the issue imo is this mindset. EA says they care. But it's just a game...... Which one is it? If they don't really care maybe the people making the game should be the people who give a crap and then we wouldn't have all this crap on the market and people trying to milk it for everything it's worth.

IT's not just a game to EA. If it were just a game they'd just release it and make it as good as possible and listen to the people clammering and it wouldn't be that big a deal.

If it were just a game they wouldn't be paying millions of dollars to have soul rights from the NFL and the NFL wouldn't be selling those rights to make it.

If it were just a game EA would let whoever make a game and make a better one and use that license if they want to.

I agree it's just a game. I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong people.

There are always 2 sides to every story. That's the truth.

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-23-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #80
Banned

OVR: 0

EA's actions say to me this isn't just a game. This is our livelyhood and we will walk over everyone else's livelyhood and shut them down, shut them out. Kick them to the curb to protect ours if it doesn't fit into our best interest.

You are right it is just a game. Where does the sickness truly lie? The thing is I'm a fair person and I know where it does. I think EA would be amazed if they ever realized it themselves.

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »