Home

This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

This is a discussion on This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #57
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

wow...this guy just really has a chip on his shoulder about 2k5 and is a true madden apologist.

He is just ranting his opinion.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #58
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
wow...this guy just really has a chip on his shoulder about 2k5 and is a true madden apologist.

He is just ranting his opinion.
If this was 2006 or 2007 I would agree, but it's 2011. 2k5 talk needs to stop, period. They can make a better Madden without looking at 2k5 and honestly they'd be better off that way. Like he said 2k5 is not the standard, real football is. Why look at a game 7 years old when you can focus on what happens in real life and try to make it mimic that. Perfect example, Madden's presentation this year with camera angles, the best ever in a sports game IMO at having the camera angles representing what you see on tv. They did something 2k5 never did, have to give them props for that. They used real life and spent hours and hours with real nfl films as well as CBS & ESPN cameramen, not 2k5 to accomplish it. Football games will never be perfect like he said, but it can definitely improve and try to be as close to real football as possible and use that as the standard. I have a feeling these kinda discussions will cease to exist when Cam Weber starts making Madden games.

Last edited by jpdavis82; 08-23-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #59
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
If this was 2006 or 2007 I would agree, but it's 2011. 2k5 talk needs to stop, period. They can make a better Madden without looking at 2k5 and honestly they'd be better off that way. Like he said 2k5 is not the standard, real football is. Why look at a game 7 years old when you can focus on what happens in real life and try to make it mimic that. I have a feeling these kinda discussions will cease to exist when Cam Weber starts making Madden games.
No one wants you to be wrong here man. Real football should definitely be the standard, and yes, consumers have to be reasonable. It's a game! Once EA shows that they want to push the envelope with Madden and football, then they will get less criticism.

Build on the product. Don't band-aid and scotch tape everything to squeeze in a half finished, broken feature or capability. Polish it and show that some effort was made when doing it. Then build on it each year. Just because you make good gameplay enhancements one year, that doesn't mean you sacrifice them the next year. I don't want to hear that gameplay stayed the same next year because online franchise was the priority. That's BS and that is EXACTLY what infuriates people who want to play this game.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #60
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
No one wants you to be wrong here man. Real football should definitely be the standard, and yes, consumers have to be reasonable. It's a game! Once EA shows that they want to push the envelope with Madden and football, then they will get less criticism.

Build on the product. Don't band-aid and scotch tape everything to squeeze in a half finished, broken feature or capability. Polish it and show that some effort was made when doing it. Then build on it each year. Just because you make good gameplay enhancements one year, that doesn't mean you sacrifice them the next year. I don't want to hear that gameplay stayed the same next year because online franchise was the priority. That's BS and that is EXACTLY what infuriates people who want to play this game.
Do me a favor and google this. OS interview with Cam Weber. Then come back and tell me you don't think EA is going to focus on gameplay and not annual gimmicks from now on. I know I know, EA track record, look at the past, blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is at some point in order to fix something you have to start somewhere, consider Cam Weber being named GM of EA Football the start. The very first thing he did when he was hired was double the size of the team working on gameplay. Cam gets it, and pretty soon football gamers will too.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #61
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Do me a favor and google this. OS interview with Cam Weber. Then come back and tell me you don't think EA is going to focus on gameplay and not annual gimmicks from now on. I know I know, EA track record, look at the past, blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is at some point in order to fix something you have to start somewhere, consider Cam Weber being named GM of EA Football the start. The very first thing he did when he was hired was double the size of the team working on gameplay. Cam gets it, and pretty soon football gamers will too.
I don't need to google it. I saw it. WHile it's encouraging, none of this is anything we haven't heard come out of Tiburon before. Let's wait and see. Hopefully he remains true to his word.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #62
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
I don't need to google it. I saw it. WHile it's encouraging, none of this is anything we haven't heard come out of Tiburon before. Let's wait and see. Hopefully he remains true to his word.
I said that myself about track record, guess you missed that. Well Cam has a pretty nice track record too with FIFA and Fight Night Champion. I've never heard anyone at Tiburon talk about the things Cam was talking about honestly. I mean Ian Cummings may have danced around the idea or something but he wasn't the GM of EA Football games either, Cam is way up in the pecking order of EA, I think his only boss is Peter Moore, whereas Ian was under quite a few other people.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCsFinest5
Quick Summary

HIS POINT

-There will never be a sim football game because of user control and the ability of the user to play the game and see parts of the field that are normally unseen to NFL players.
-He can't be mad at EA Sports for "running a business"; it's foolish to think that Madden is a monopoly because football gaming is not an industry by itself
-Other football game devs will never get the NFL license back
-However other football game devs can make a game that is 100% user content and can include the ability to create NFL teams
-You can't bash Madden 12 if you have not played it
-Madden games are unfairly compared to previous football games
-Just because people perceive Madden as inferior to previous games (from other devs) doesn't make Madden a bad game
-Don't buy the game if you don't like it
-People bash Madden because they aren't good at the game (he said he is beginning to believe this)
-Madden will not incorporate physics into this gen.
-Madden is just a game (some glitches are unavoidable)
-The standard of video game football will never be reached
-Perception of Madden is largely based on opinion

I agree with a lot of what he said. The guy is a realist and won't let people tell him whether or not he can enjoy Madden 12.
I can agree too, especially in bold.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #64
MVP

sarlndr's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Truth is spoken here.

@jpdavis: I'm all for being optimistic about things but wow. Let's take it one year at a time. We still have to see how this years Madden is going to actually play come next week, first and foremost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »