Home

Time for a sound overhaul!

This is a discussion on Time for a sound overhaul! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Time for a sound overhaul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarlndr
No reiteration needed. We read your post the first time but are still bummed by how bad the commentary is in the game.

You can stop defending them now.
Slow down. I'm not defending them. I'm just not willing to state that the sound team did nothing because thats not true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #26
MVP

sarlndr's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Slow down. I'm not defending them. I'm just not willing to state that the sound team did nothing because thats not true.
I'm sorry sir but that post wasn't directed at you. Sorry for the confusion.

Next time I'll put the name of the person I was directing it to but I didn't want it to come across as me being disrespectful. I didn't want to get banned or anything.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

After watching several videos, I don't understand all the hype for this Gus Johnson guy a couple of years ago. He was nothing special in last year's game and is mediocre on his best day in this year's game.
It's inexcusable for him to ID so many players only with their numbers. Either he was too lazy to come in and record better audio or EA didn't force him to do so. Either way, someone dropped the ball.
If I were a well-known network announcer and was going to be included in a game, especially in Madden, I'd make damn sure to have some good commentary in there and would demand it of EA. Someone in the sound dept. is not taking pride in their work, don't know if it's Johnson or EA.
They could have saved money and stuck with Tom Hammond and it wouldn't have made a difference.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

I would like for them to implement a "Sounds of The Show" type system where users can upload what they want, use different cues for various (and not just a few) different situations

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #29
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

There really is no excuse for the commentating to be as bad as it is. Players getting called by numbers, is it 1995?

I'm not trying to bash here. It just seems like EA leaves out or doesn't upgrade a major part of the game every year.

When you are this far into a console generation these things, and many others should be implemented correctly by now.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
There really is no excuse for the commentating to be as bad as it is. Players getting called by numbers, is it 1995?

I'm not trying to bash here. It just seems like EA leaves out or doesn't upgrade a major part of the game every year.

When you are this far into a console generation these things, and many others should be implemented correctly by now.
Something like that has me thinking of waiting to see them patch that up before buying, especially since we didn't have that problem last year
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3

Another inexcusable thing for commentary, old engine or not:

Sometimes it gets the offensive and defensive players confused.

I"m playing as the Jets, drop back with Sanchez, throw to Holmes, and playing against the Ravens, who tackle with Terrell Suggs.

And the announcer says "Suggs with the catch."

I've also heard it happen the other way around... a pass deflection by Revis of a pass to Ochocinco, and Gus said "Broken up, by Johnson".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #32
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I just want to reiterate these issues with commentary happened in Madden 12 and past Madden's because they are on the same old commentary engine. The engine is why it sounds so patched together, like I said they won't be using this engine anymore after Madden 12.
I am cool with this year's commentary being sub-par with the caveat that next year's is a night and day difference. The premise of not putting "new wine in old wine skins" makes sense, to me. In the past, it seems a decision would have been made to put more lipstick on that pig, like when they made a big deal about hiring Gus, but this decision seems solid.

I think this is another example of EA finally confronting the foundational issues with next-gen Madden and not doing some half-arse patch job. Last year when they admitted to not touching offline franchise because more time was needed to do it right, that resulted in nice franchise upgrades this year.

They are saying similar things about commentary, online franchise and in-game shows this year which bodes well for Madden 13. If those areas are upgraded next year as much as offline franchise seems to be after taking the extra time, then I can deal with Gus calling players "that guy" for a year. LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »