Home

QB Kneel Downs

This is a discussion on QB Kneel Downs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on this?
Seems like a pretty good idea. 16 66.67%
This is a stupid idea, what a waste of time. 5 20.83%
Doesn't really matter either way, I don't even really notice. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
QB Kneel Downs

I know Madden 12 is barely even out yet, but I'm still seeing something that has irked me for years.

The victory formation is the best time of the game for a team in the lead, but Madden always makes it feel like a -1 yard run (which it technically is).

I have played Madden for nearly 20 years, and I have never seen anything but a perfectly executed QB kneel when it's called. The reason I mention that is IRL, you may see a botched snap which could change the game drastically. But since that simply doesn't happen in Madden, I've got an idea that could add some extra excitement, or at least satisfaction to the final minute of a game.

I'd like to see a couple of options presented to you based on a few scenarios.

For example, if you get the ball back and you're in the lead with under a minute left and the opposition is out of timeouts, the game should give you an option on screen to 'Kneel It Out', or 'Play On'. So if you want to run the score up some more, you can. But if you choose 'Kneel It Out', the crowd will get all amped up, and a cut scene of you kneeling, then the offense and defense shaking hands, or whatever, and the rest of the team/coaches run out onto the field as time is expiring. As opposed to kneeling, waiting for the clock to hit zero with players standing around like they have no idea they've won and the crowd suddenly going bezerk when it flips to a cut scene after the clock hits 0:00.

Furthermore, if you're on defense and have no timeouts left, you can choose to either 'Concede Defeat' or 'Play On', which would work the same way as I just mentioned.

I think this would add a much needed conclusion to most games in Madden that seem so boring and uneventful, three kneel downs where the crowd is silent and the players just stand around. HELLO? You know you've just won the game right? No? Okay, keep standing around then.

Thoughts? Concerns? Am I way off on this one?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: QB Kneel Downs

Frankly, the defensive option doesn't make sense. The defense will put out an actual defense regardless of the offense's actions, so the offense would override the defense's selection, making it kind of useless.

The offense one does seem like a good idea though. I think I'd be for it.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Frankly, the defensive option doesn't make sense. The defense will put out an actual defense regardless of the offense's actions, so the offense would override the defense's selection, making it kind of useless.

Agree and was about to post the exact same opinion. The offense should be the only one that has a choice of what to do. But the cut scene and commentary is a great idea.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeks
The reason I mention that is IRL, you may see a botched snap which could change the game drastically.
I've never seen a botched snap in a kneel-down situation in 35 years of watching football, at any level.

The closest was that infamous Giants-Eagles game in the late 70s when Herman Edwards returned a fumble for the winning TD when the Giants foolishly tried running a play instead of kneeling down.

So I don't know if a botched snap in a kneel down has ever happened in the history of football. If it hasn't, why should it be in Madden?

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS

I realize the CPU offense would still do the old kneel down method, but I figured some people might still want to see it all, and therefore just give them the option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I've never seen a botched snap in a kneel-down situation in 35 years of watching football, at any level.

The closest was that infamous Giants-Eagles game in the late 70s when Herman Edwards returned a fumble for the winning TD when the Giants foolishly tried running a play instead of kneeling down.

So I don't know if a botched snap in a kneel down has ever happened in the history of football. If it hasn't, why should it be in Madden?
I'm not saying it should be in Madden. I'm saying it won't ever happen, so why do they bother playing out the last three plays if they are boring as hell to sit through?

I also never said it happens all the time in the NFL, I'm just saying it COULD potentially happen, which is why they HAVE to play the game out... but you don't HAVE to in Madden because the possibility is NOT there at all.

Make more sense?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 24

I like the idea of watching to the end.....it's what you see on TV. They show the sidelines, crowds, coaches, then cut back to the field to show another kneel down.

Just saw the KC/Tenn Wildcard vid, and they're all walking around with no excitement as KC's about to win their first playoff game in awhile..

Something different would be nice, a little excitement, please!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

I really like this idea!

It's something that has irked me for a minute and I'd also like it if I could get backup QBs to kneel the ball.

If I have a QB like Vick and he has 3 carries for 45 yards in the game, but then 3 carries for -1 for kneeling, it skews his stats... I'd like to make subs in the V formation, but also skip it at LEAST on the final one... So that once I kneel with 25 secs left on the clock and they have 0 timeouts, the Victory cutscene takes place.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »