Home

Is this cheese? Looking for opinions

This is a discussion on Is this cheese? Looking for opinions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Is this cheese? Looking for opinions

Just curious, but how do you "cheat" your way to a kickoff return? Is it possible that he's just good when running the ball but plays poor defense?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
Rookie

Bpajak's Arena

OVR: 2

Playing smart, reactive, football is not cheese. If you are up 40 points and kicking onside kicks to get the ball back and trying to run up the score on an opponent that you know you have dominated, is cheese. and if you did that in real life might get you punched in the face like jerry glanville almost did from chuck knoll a few years back..just my opinion
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 AM   #11
Rookie

wsh2293's Arena

OVR: 1

If you run the ball vertically up to a certain distance on a kick return and then make a 90 degree turn and speed burst directly towards the slidelines you will have a high-percentage chance of turning the corner and therefore come up with a big kickoff return. It doesn't work everytime, but it can be a major pain to deal with. I've seen several posts about this in this board.

What happened in my case is when he returned the kickoff for a touchdown I called the kickoff return middle play and kicked the ball down the middle. The guy ran a little to the right and then when my defenders were about five to ten yards away, he ran directly towards the sideline and just out ran my defense. I kicked off the ball two times after that and he didn't run the same way. Then when he needed a big return at the end of the game he did run in the same fashion. Of course I was very aware that he might try to do that, so I kicked the ball to the left and called a kickoff return right (my right his left) play. I would think if you know that your opponent was going to run to a certain spot on the field and you call the appropriate play, that you would stop whatever your opponent was attempting to do. I knew what the guy was going to do (attempt to out run my coverage to the right side of the field) and called the correct play, but since he took advantage of a flaw in the game he was still able to come up with 60 yard return even though I called the appropriate play.

Also, the guy was not very good at running the ball. The entire game he called all of two plays; the running play from hell and a passing play. That's it, two plays. For his running play he would line up with three tightends and run the ball off tackle to the right. After the first big run, I shifted my line, as well as my linebackers, to the right. The guy ran the same exact play and broke five or six tackles and out ran all of my remaining defensive players to the endzone. Now it wasn't like I wasn't hitting the guy; I got some good shots in on the running back. He just knew some cheap way to break tackles. Look, the guy had three consecutive 70 plus-yard touchdown runs in which he broke at least five tackles on each run. Not jukes, I could understand that, but I would hit Green and he would just miraculously break the tackle. Two were after I called a defensive play to stop the run to the right. That looks very suspicious to me.

Stuff like this is why I want to be able to play on All-Madden online. On All-Pro your defensive players don't have the lateral closing speed that they would have in real life. Now that I think about it, I don't think that any cheese would actually work on All-Madden difficulty online because your defensive players actually have lateral quickness and don't get out of position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #12
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

I think that answers just about everything.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #13
Rookie

BelfourThibault's Arena

OVR: 1

No! If he sets up his defense and you check the play, he can still call a defensive audible. What a whiner.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »