Home

How is Nano Blitzing and Rocket Catching Cheese?

This is a discussion on How is Nano Blitzing and Rocket Catching Cheese? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: How is Nano Blitzing and Rocket Catching Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
why have people replied to this?
Not sure about anyone else..but I am bored at work lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm going to have to search youtube for examples of rocket catches. But most of the time I let the CPU do the catching so I doubt I have done one of these.

I have taken control of say Calvin Johnson in the endzone on a fade and jumped up for the ball and made a TD, but thats pretty much true to the game.... :P

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/91274017 Like would you consider that a rocket catch? It was a designed fade play I-Form Lions Fade. I just lobbed it high into the corner like Stafford does to Johnson a lot and took control of Johnson to make sure he went up for it.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Do you want to see cheese? You can skip to the 7:30 mark in this video:

Now the next video, which is short, is of me playing OTP with a friend and a random against another team of three. This is also using the nickle sub [one of my favorite defensive formations in football right now.] The only "change" we make to the play is to crash the D-line left or right. Not slide, bust crash.

Play 1: A cover zero 6 man blitz against only 5 pass blockers. Someone should get free, and it happens to be a fast linebacker.

Play 2: I called "monster 3." This is a zone blitz hat sends 5 pass rushers. By having my friend use crash right, he has the DE that was supposed to drop into a hook zone pass rush instead, making this another 6 man blitz. The offense ran a screen pass. This meant that we were sure to get free pass rushers, and we did. This turned into a turn over and a defensive score!

Play 3: Storm Red. Another zone blitz, but this time we are sending the SS as one of the pass rushers.

Play 4: Monster 3 for the second time in the game. [these were the only nickle sub plays of the game.] this time my friend forgot to crash the line, and I forget to remind him. The pass was complete for a nice gain with only 5 pass rushers.

Play 5: Off of the hurry up, I audible into a cover three and show A-Gap pressure. The QB panics at first, expecting the heat, can't find an open receiver, and then it's too late. Coverage sack. Notice my friend playing NT moves Hampton out ot the left to try and contain a possible scramble. I told my friend, if you can't get to the QB quickly, you should try to contain the edge, as Madden players like to scramble to the sideline. [My friend was new to Madden last year]

Play 6: Crash 3. I have my friend crash the D-Line in the direction of the blitz to try and overload the O-Line. I bluff A-Gap pressure with the LB. The pressure gets there in a hurry. The QB makes the worst decision and throws the ball instead of taking the sack. It is easily picked and taken back for a score.

You do not have to do a lot of "crazy" adjustments to get pressure in Madden. You just have to understand the plays and adjust. My defense isn't unstoppable, and I hope no one thinks it's cheese. While it may look like a lot of cover three zone blitzes, it is again important to note that these were just the nickle sub plays of the game. I call all kinds of defensive fronts and plays... although I do love zone blitzes.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

It is cheese for this reason. A human can think, and a human can react, and a human has an infinite amount of options open to hi.m.

AI cannot think and AI cannot react, and AI only has one single option that is scripted to happen when certain circumstances are met. The only way to have multiple options available to an AI is to add in percentage modifiers, which in essence make the result random.

To the specific points at hand, a human offensive line can communicate and react to a defense overloading one side of the field. The AI is specifically scripted to do one thing and one thing only based on the circumstances.Leaving the RB in does nothing, if the AI can get through the line before the dropback is complete.

Exploiting the AI = Cheese. Cheese does not equal strategy.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 11

Im not even 100% sure what a rocket catch is.

When Madden 10 came out, my brother, my 2 best friends, and myself all had a Madden night for midnight release, and my brother called me q cheeser, accusing me of rocket catching cuz I threw a deep bomb and took manual control of Michael Crabtree to go get it.

I was like "that's a manual catch, how is that cheap???"
Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
Im not even 100% sure what a rocket catch is.

When Madden 10 came out, my brother, my 2 best friends, and myself all had a Madden night for midnight release, and my brother called me q cheeser, accusing me of rocket catching cuz I threw a deep bomb and took manual control of Michael Crabtree to go get it.

I was like "that's a manual catch, how is that cheap???"
Larry Fitzgerald is a living example of the rocket catch. So is Randy Moss. One of the problems is that any player can pull off a rocket catch in Madden, and not just players with a 90+ spectacular catch rating... or more specifically, everyone could do this type of catch and hold onto it even after getting hit.

Making a user catch doesn't really bother me, except that the user gets a bonus to the result of any action he or she takes. If you have no idea what I mean, I'll quickly explain: Every action in Madden is determined by die rolls. There are modifiers for each die roll to help determine the result. those modifiers include, but are not limited to, the player ratings and difficulty. In addition, EA decided that it would be a good idea to grant a bonus for user control in order to "reward the player." I strongly disagree with that move. The user is "rewarded" enough by putting his players in the right spot at the right time... or not. This is one of the reasons the RC is so successful.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Larry Fitzgerald is a living example of the rocket catch. So is Randy Moss. One of the problems is that any player can pull off a rocket catch in Madden, and not just players with a 90+ spectacular catch rating... or more specifically, everyone could do this type of catch and hold onto it even after getting hit.

Making a user catch doesn't really bother me, except that the user gets a bonus to the result of any action he or she takes. If you have no idea what I mean, I'll quickly explain: Every action in Madden is determined by die rolls. There are modifiers for each die roll to help determine the result. those modifiers include, but are not limited to, the player ratings and difficulty. In addition, EA decided that it would be a good idea to grant a bonus for user control in order to "reward the player." I strongly disagree with that move. The user is "rewarded" enough by putting his players in the right spot at the right time... or not. This is one of the reasons the RC is so successful.
If I remember correctly there were quite a lot of people who wanted to be reward for their user actions on the field and this is how EA managed to do that. Not sure what else they could have done because I guarantee if they up the interception rates so that people wouldn't complain about dropping them in user control you'd get complains that the defense never drops them.

I'm all for leveling the playing field with the cpu players but it probably wouldn't go over well with alot of people. I will say they did a better job of forcing you to use a tall receiver with good jump ability this year as the fade is essentially a rocket catch that the cpu does and if your guy cant jump or is small then you won't complete many of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »