Home

is it me or is the Passing game weird

This is a discussion on is it me or is the Passing game weird within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: is it me or is the Passing game weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
yeah but the stats will become bloated.

the lower threshhold equals a higher % of big plays. It becoems straight line running after the completion or once the rb gets through the hole. thats because the reaction times of the defense become a split second slower.

IMO, realism is achieved with a higher threshhold, because youll need to juke or make an extra cut to get past the secondary line of defense, if there is anybody between you and the goal line. and that extra cut allows the defense to make the adjustment.

once you figure the game out youll hate the threshold at a lower number.

I actually didnt like MAdden 12 at first but its growing on me, cause the game forces you to make adjustments. tipped passes only happen now when Im rushed.
read the defense and take what they give you. audibles, line adjustments are more emphasized this year. due to the imrpoved defense.
Actually I've found threshold of zero to be perfect. If you blitz seven you might get burned, just like in real life. With the threshold at zero it makes me play actual defense. With the default settings (50 threshold) you can blitz seven and if you get burned your D-lineman with 78 speed will catch up to and tackle Chris Johnson and his 99 speed while he's breaking away down the sideline... Not real IMO.

Also, with the threshold at zero, player ratings are actually taken into account. When I played against Peyton Hillis he would truck through some of my defensive backs. On default threshold my nickel corner could tackle him by himself using one arm.

Passing becomes more accurate as well. Linebackers won't super leap across the field to make ridiculous interceptions or pass deflections. Your and your opponents players become true to their ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
Too narrow? In my last 4 games I've averaged a completion % of 78 with 9 TDs and 1 pick. There are plenty of openings in the defense and I haven't seen any issue with the db's or lb's covering too much space. I'm doing this on All-Madden if anyone was wondering. I do agree that the passing game feels different from last year but in my opinion it is all for the better as the comeback route finally works and I don't feel terrified of throwing a curl route when the defense is in man coverage as they don't jump the route like they did last year. I have still seen defenders jumping routes but it has been in a more realistic way instead of having the db running with his back turned then stop and turn on the curl before the WR does.
Yeah those routes definitely work a lot smoother on 12. A lot of guys are still traumatized from the how it was on 11 and assume they don't work on 12 because of how DBs use to run routes with WRs on 11. I'm able to hit all these routes with the CPU pass reaction on 100..
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
Try pressing the jump button a littler earlier. It works great for me using the Detroit Lions. I've seen 10+ different jump/catch animations so far and they are amazing. The fade route is especially wicked in Madden 12. To do the fade route, tap the WR button (almost) immediately after the snap to throw a lob and don't forget to use lead passing with the fade to direct them where you want. As soon as the ball is in the air, take control of the receiver and time the jump. You might have to hit up practice mode to get the timing but it is well worth the effort. The fade routed animations are simply amazing this year. Megatron is a beast in the Redzone and I call a fade atleast on time every trip. I will try to save some highlights from some of my games today and post them here. The WR's will do all sorts of cool animations (with toe touches included) and leap over the defenders just like in real life.
Hey I await to see this video!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Actually I've found threshold of zero to be perfect. If you blitz seven you might get burned, just like in real life. With the threshold at zero it makes me play actual defense. With the default settings (50 threshold) you can blitz seven and if you get burned your D-lineman with 78 speed will catch up to and tackle Chris Johnson and his 99 speed while he's breaking away down the sideline... Not real IMO.

Also, with the threshold at zero, player ratings are actually taken into account. When I played against Peyton Hillis he would truck through some of my defensive backs. On default threshold my nickel corner could tackle him by himself using one arm.

Passing becomes more accurate as well. Linebackers won't super leap across the field to make ridiculous interceptions or pass deflections. Your and your opponents players become true to their ratings.

I guess Im lookinga t it from the offensive poit of view

what you say is true to an extent , but again I dont like the straight running once you get by the initial defender. its like the defender maybe slower but if the receiever or rb is coming in his direction he can catch up via an angle. with it at 0 all of that becomes null and void.

theres still seperation at the higer numbers.

really take a look at this on zero and youll see its just running straight, you dont have to cut, or nothing regardless of where the defender is on the field.

wiith it at the lower threshhold its easy to plow staright ahead for 20 plus yard gains about 75% of the time once you get beyond the inital defender. IMO, this issue really stands out in the running game.

I just didnt like that. but to each his own.

Last edited by tril; 09-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
So far I'm enjoying the game, but what bothers me the most about passing is that I can't make my players JUMP. Sure, you press the button and they might put their hands up, or maybe if you're lucky, they'll hop ten inches off the ground.

But where is the ability to press the jump button that triggers your WR or DB or leap in the air, snagging balls out of the air? It's just not fully realized in this game, and it really hurts the passing game.
The CPU can jump 20 ft easily though. I would just be happy with learning how to spin around quickly like the CPU let alone the jump after.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codysseus
This sounds fun. I don't usually take control of my receivers, so I wonder if they'll do this sort of thing themselves if I time the pass right. I feel like Stevie Johnson would be fun to throw the fade to. I can barely get him to get ahead of corners on streaks though. Perhaps Fitzpatrick's arm is too weak. It's hard being a Bills fan.
I run with the Bills and Stevie Johnson is a beast in this game. He is always open, runs good routes, and makes a lot of spectacular catches. Also best way to run with the Bills is to run a spread offense which I do with Bills play book. Fitzpatrick is good short and medium range and on 3rd downs he increases offensive players performance with his game manager role. You can throw long couple times a game but make sure it comes out quick.

Use Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Parrish(who is a beast) underneath a lot. I can use Spiller as a WR. He catches pretty good and has speed.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 3

Well playing on very fast with 0 threshold, typically using my Bucs Ive learned to use alot of underneath 3 yard and turn around over the middle to Winslow.
Bubble screens to wr - basically alot of the short stuff that I NEVER used
in other Maddens. Slants I mix in but only throw if my man has a slight lead on the defender. So I think the passing game is very well done with a couple of obvious nags (Im looking at u LB!)
The other thing J like is he way some guys throw a tighter spiral more consistently than others. Using Josh Freeman he will almost always throw
a tight ball-use David Gerrard and almost evey pass is fluttering up field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 21

for those who played BackBreaker, you know you can pass influence a direction of a pass right after you flick the right stick up....then left stick either high, low, left, right. etc...

but in Madden, if I have my tightend running a streak and I want to throw it to the left side of him (because a Safety is on the other side)..is there a way to lead him there in stride?

when I try to do it sometimes, it just throws more to the right or straight for some reason....other times it seems like there is lead pass...I don't know if I'm doing it wrong.

I hold the left stick in the direction while throwing the ball (or slightly before pressing the button to pass). It just seems hit or miss sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »