Home

Commentary and Coaching

This is a discussion on Commentary and Coaching within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
43M
Banned

OVR: 0
Commentary and Coaching

Okay...as a guy who has been outspoken about how mediocre Madden has been over the years and has only bought 1 next gen Madden title previous to Madden 12 (Madden 10, which got old real fast), I will say that I am very much enjoying Madden 12 and think I will be able to play it for at least a few seasons...which I havent done in years.

Madden 12 is far from perfect, and there are alot of little things that bug me, but for the most part, I find it enjoyable and think its heading a good direction.

BUT, there are 2 things right now that need fixed before I ever purchase another Madden game in the future. I will put up with them this year, but these two absolutely need overhauled....and yes, it is coaching and commentary.

The commentary stuff everyone has complained about, so I wont delve too far into it. It kills immersion. Its hard to believe this game sounds worse than Madden 2005, which sounded pretty lame as well...but it was also on a much weaker system 7 years ago.

One that rarely gets mentioned for some reason is coaching in franchise mode. IT MEANS NOTHING!!! And thats a big problem...for me anyway. The staffing mode is a mess in Madden 12, and may as well not even be in the game. Its a waste of time. I could lose a great coach, hire some bum and it wouldnt have any affect on how things go really. Coaching wasnt dont that well on last gen either, but it was done better than it is now. WHY IS EA GOING BACKWARDS WITH STUFF LIKE THiS????

Ive made 1000 suggestions about this in the past. None have been used obviously, even though they were received well by the community. Here are 5 that I think must be implemented....

1) Create/edit coaches - Self explanatory...let me create coaches from scratch with their own ratings and philosophies. Alteratively, let me edit existing coaches. There is no reason this shouldnt be in the game.

2) Coach drafting/Free Agency/Offseason Phillosphies: I made a HUGE post about this last year, and dont want to go through it again. Basically, just have all the coaches bring their own philosphies to whatever team hires them. Its annoying that all the coaches have the same default settings. Its pure laziness on EA's part. How hard is it to give each coach their own style? Otherwise whats the point of even having that?

3) Roster bonuses expanded: Apparently coaches do offer bonuses in ratings, but it needs to be expanded in a MAJOR way! If you hire a top LB coach as your defensive coordinator, your LBs should progress faster based on their potential....while DBs with the same potential may not progress as fast.

4) Better hiring/firing logic: EA...this isnt meant to bash, but its hard to believe your computer logic in these games can be so bad. In a franchise I simmed, the Packers fired Dom Capers even though the Packers had a top 10 defense. And a few coaches coming off good seasons werent retained! Fix this....its a must. In case you dont know...coaching is a big part of the game!

5) Coaching history and progression/regression: This goes back to last gen being better. In last gen, you could seeing coaching histories and their progression and regression from season to season. For some reason...that was too much to keep around. Bring it back....only better than it was on last gen.

Again...not trying to bash EA as I am enjoying Madden 12, but franchise mode was at the top of my list and since that was fixed up, I gave it another chance. But these two will ultimately kill any chance I have of buying another Madden unless they are addressed, and IMO, both are huge parts of the game. Not like Im griping about sock colors here.

All the best!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Commentary and Coaching

Good post, I would like to see these changes implemented as well
Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Couldn't agree more, most of these changes I could code in a week.

Small amount of effort + nice gain + small memory constraints to game = good additions.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Actually the commentary needs to be fixed up in patch, at least the numbers for names issue has to be patched ASAP and a bigger overhaul in the future.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
Couldn't agree more, most of these changes I could code in a week.

Small amount of effort + nice gain + small memory constraints to game = good additions.
Yeah...the coaching stuff I never got....I know its not hard to implement. Maybe some parts would be complicated, but the basics of this idea could be done fast and easily. Again...laziness.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »