Home

EA: Please take out DPP and fix the bugs next year.

This is a discussion on EA: Please take out DPP and fix the bugs next year. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: EA: Please take out DPP and fix the bugs next year.

Why does everyone keep giving EA a pass to wait for next year? Tell them dudes to do their job and get us a patch ASAP.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
With all the bugs in the game, I'd like to see a concerted effort to fix things like stats, bad animations, punts that always bounce the same way etc. BTW kudos to EA on this....the cpu blocked a FG on me the othernight. First time ever in madden (I think I had 2 XP's blocked over the years).
As far as DPP, I see little windows that pop up saying things like:
Frank Gore, covers ball, no......Jermichael Finley, drops open passes, yes etc.

Really if not for that i couldn't even tell you DPP was doing anything...and those messages are wrong often anyway. Finley had 5 catches in one half when that message came up. I think he dropped 1 or 2. He ended the game with 10 catches....not sure what all that meant.

But as I said, the disc space and programming time used on DPP would be better spent imo on fixing problems next year (I'd love to see all this patched but....). I'm not seeing anything in the way of streakiness that doesn't seem completely random to me anyway. I will say this..and this is not good....I get alot of completing 5 in a row, missing 5 in row etc. Not realistic at all. Again random hit and misses would mimic the pro game far better. IRL you don't see QB's on one streak hot or cold after another. I've spoken out against this feature since day one that it was a waste. I stand by that.

I'll also add that I think this game plays the best out of the box overall, and does more things right than in the past. That said, let's fix these bugs and drop DPP. How happy would we all be if all those little annoying bugs got fixed. Would you miss DPP if they did that?
After reading through this thread it kind of seems like you are just stirring up debate, which is cool but I could be wrong. The suggestion of scrapping DPP in favor of bug fixes just sounds odd if not referring to actual DPP bugs as opposed to game bugs, in general.

I guess the point you are making is that, you have noticed no benefits of DPP so you want it removed. You are entitled to your opinion but pretending as if the removal of DPP would lead to your desired bug fixes, is just that, pretending. There was no DPP last year but I am pretty sure there were some bugs you would have liked fixed, so I don't really see a connection.

As far as specifically speaking about DPP, the importance of a foundational feature like this, has far more relevance than it's effect this year. My favorite thing about DPP is it's potential long term implications for adding individual and team uniqueness to Madden, that exists in the real NFL. For all the hype about 3 year plans and "wait till next year", this is a feature I can actually see a vision for.

Now if by Madden 14 DPP is still exactly as it was this year, then I can fully support considering it "ill conceived" but not now. It seems like you are in favor of yearly bug fixes, instant features that can drastically impact the game year 1 or scrap them and visually displaying as much as possible of what the AI is doing "under the hood". I don't know if you realize it or not but that sounds an awful lot like what Madden was doing the previous 6 years with the vision cone, weapons, additional numeric ratings, player potential, rewind, patches, DLC boosts, etc.

I will gladly take a three year DPP implementation over any of those "one hit wonder features", displayed ratings and DLC.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

SMH @ this thread on so many levels. I can't believe this hasn't been locked yet considering some of the other threads that have.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Wow....I certainly don't see all that and I play 2 games or more per day. Wouldn't Qb awareness account for the stuff you mention though? Just wondering. I saw differences in Qb's in M11. I play on all madden, not sure if that matters. Last year cambell missed passes, missed open guys, didn't scan well etc. Now I agree that it's more pronounced this year but I still get crap Qb's having stellar days against me and good ones struggling. Still seems random to me...maybe I'm missing something. I WISH i saw the things you say. Don't see it.
As noted in my page 1 post, I play on All-Madden also -- have been for years. With the QB awareness, you would think it would account for variations in the way the quarterback makes decisions, but I never saw that in previous Maddens. Awareness tied into games that were simmed, but head to head, it was the same experience with the only difference being accuracy. In franchise, I'd see a QB throw 4 picks in a previous week's game, then play like a Pro Bowler against me:

Madden 10: robo QB every game you played. any QB could go 24 for 27 against you.

Madden 11: robo QB was there in that every one of them played the same. Campbell wouldn't scramble. He'd sit in the pocket and read the defense like a composed pocket passer, the same way Brady would. The difference is the accuracy, which made it feel like you were getting a different experience.

Madden 12: when I play Brady, he is going to pick me apart. I've got to have moves and counter moves. I've got to worry about him changing protection when I show blitz. When he goes 4-wide and I go Dime, I have to worry about the checkdown to the back leaking out. If they're 3-wide I have to worry about the seams were the TE's will be. I've got to think about play action, flanker screens; if I call Cover 6 in the wrong spot, he could hit me with a 9 route.

Against the Raiders, I don't have nearly that thought process, the ONLY thing I worry about is McFadden and Campbell breaking the pocket. I have to scheme to take away the run game and I can take more risks in coverage with 6 man pressures because he doesn't see the hot as well as Brady. If I get the Raiders to 3rd and long, I'm off the field like clockwork. If Campbell does get going, I know how to fluster him. Brady, there is no flustering. Those are two different experiences. Two different gameplans I have to deploy. One team I'm worried about the QB, the other I'm worried about the running back. Never had to do that in the past. In Madden 11, I had the same gameplan against every team, no matter the record or previous week's performance.

Now I think the crux of your argument is that DPP is unnecessary because the ratings should dictate experiences you get, but it hasn't in the past beyond the incremental. Add to that, ratings haven't really differentiated decisions such as the QB who tucks and runs vs. the QB who throws the ball away. Sorry you're not seeing it, but refinement is the answer in my opinion, not scraping a feature that really does have long term potential.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 09-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
Why does everyone keep giving EA a pass to wait for next year? Tell them dudes to do their job and get us a patch ASAP.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't get what your response has to do with the rest of the discussion. Who in here is giving EA a pass or saying they don't want bugs fixed. Most are saying that the feature DPP does in fact work and has merit for future growth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

I love DPP. If they were to hypothetically take it out, I'd sell the game that day.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #23
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
...Really if not for that i couldn't even tell you DPP was doing anything...
Just because you're blind doesn't mean they should remove the best feature they've added in years.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
As noted in my page 1 post, I play on All-Madden also -- have been for years. With the QB awareness, you would think it would account for variations in the way the quarterback makes decisions, but I never saw that in previous Maddens. Awareness tied into games that were simmed, but head to head, it was the same experience with the only difference being accuracy. In franchise, I'd see a QB throw 4 picks in a previous week's game, then play like a Pro Bowler against me:

Madden 10: robo QB every game you played. any QB could go 24 for 27 against you.

Madden 11: robo QB was there in that every one of them played the same. Campbell wouldn't scramble. He'd sit in the pocket and read the defense like a composed pocket passer, the same way Brady would. The difference is the accuracy, which made it feel like you were getting a different experience.

Madden 12: when I play Brady, he is going to pick me apart. I've got to have moves and counter moves. I've got to worry about him changing protection when I show blitz. When he goes 4-wide and I go Dime, I have to worry about the checkdown to the back leaking out. If they're 3-wide I have to worry about the seams were the TE's will be. I've got to think about play action, flanker screens; if I call Cover 6 in the wrong spot, he could hit me with a 9 route.

Against the Raiders, I don't have nearly that thought process, the ONLY thing I worry about is McFadden and Campbell breaking the pocket. I have to scheme to take away the run game and I can take more risks in coverage with 6 man pressures because he doesn't see the hot as well as Brady. If I get the Raiders to 3rd and long, I'm off the field like clockwork. If Campbell does get going, I know how to fluster him. Brady, there is no flustering. Those are two different experiences. Two different gameplans I have to deploy. One team I'm worried about the QB, the other I'm worried about the running back. Never had to do that in the past. In Madden 11, I had the same gameplan against every team, no matter the record or previous week's performance.

Now I think the crux of your argument is that DPP is unnecessary because the ratings should dictate experiences you get, but it hasn't in the past beyond the incremental. Add to that, ratings haven't really differentiated decisions such as the QB who tucks and runs vs. the QB who throws the ball away. Sorry you're not seeing it, but refinement is the answer in my opinion, not scraping a feature that really does have long term potential.

Well I don't agree based on my experience but I'll conceed you may be seeing things I'm missing....I actually hope you're right as that would be wonderful. Maybe I need to play more or be more aware (although I thought i was). And I do agree that player ratings haven't made much difference in next gen (one of the things I preferred in old gen). And your right, I'd think player ratings should have done all the things you say DPP is doing. Well thought out response btw.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »