Home

Distinction between player value and overall rating

This is a discussion on Distinction between player value and overall rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10
Distinction between player value and overall rating

I think that this would help the game in franchise mode.

A player should have essentially a past production rating in addition to his overall rating or perhaps replacing his overall rating. This would solve some of the "my player has A potential and never goes up after I cheese with him and get 5,000 yards rushing. What gives?" kinds of scenarios. It would also add a much appreciated level of depth to franchise in my opinion.

If you take away overall rating and replace it with a grade on his production, then you could more realistically set value for a player the way that he is valued in real life. That way if someone wants to pass for 5,000 yards with Tim Tebow, he becomes a much more desired quarterback because of the proven production. But does he really need to get "better" when he's able to pass for 5,000 yards already? I think progression should be linked to coaching and partially to confidence which could result from production or other means. PRODUCTION SHOULD NOT EQUAL PROGRESSION. But production should have a HUGE impact on VALUE.

Enough ranting. Does this make sense to anyone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Rookie

Kegthaplaya's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Distinction between player value and overall rating

This is by far the best idea ive ever heard for madden, ever.

I think a value rating would be good too, factoring in age, talent, production, and potential. The value rating should replace overall, because we all know overall is broken, calculated poorly and altered to manipulate how talented teams are percieved to be. A good example is when vernon davis was a 78 or so and his blocking was underrated drastically to keep his overall down.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I just started a thread about this the other day.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...vs-rating.html
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

And I said basically the exact same thing in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeks
I think the OVR rating should be abolished.

It should be replaced by a Value Rating. It would be very similar to an OVR rating, but with a few key differences, that would improve Franchise mode.

As it stands now, all of a players attributes combine to show an OVR rating, this rating represents a players physical abilities.

A Value Rating would represent that players ability as well as how he fits onto a certain team, and their style of play.

I find examples work best with describing this.

Let's say in Franchise mode, you are playing as the 49ers. On the 49ers, Alex Smith's Value Rating is 85 because they don't have many options at QB, but he's not really a franchise QB. Now let's say you want to trade Alex Smith... and you offer him to Seattle. Alex Smith, in a trade to Seattle, may have a Value Rating of 93 because he's better than the QB's they have, and would be a great addition to their team. This would allow you to get more from Seattle because they value what you're offering more.

On the other hand, if you offer to trade Smith to the Colts, his Value Rating my be a 60, so you couldn't get as much, because they don't need a starting QB, they have Manning.

This Value Rating would be shown on the trade offer screen, and would potentially be different for every team, and every team would be taking into account if they actually need the player you're offering.

As Madden stands now, you could trade Peyton Manning to the Saints for a 1st round pick and Mark Ingram... which would not happen in a million years. They know Peyton is a great QB, but they don't need him... they have Drew Brees, so although Manning has a 99 Value Rating on the Colts, when you offer him to the Saints, his Value Rating would be about an 80. Nice to have, but not need to have.

This system would also be helpful for progression.

***Increasing an OVR rating means increasing a players physical attributes. This seems to be the hold up with gigantic OVR ratings increases in Madden. You don't want a guy to gain like 5 SPD, 8 ACC, 15 TRK, and 12 CTH in one year just to make the OVR go up by 10 or 15 like it should. Nobody PHYSICALLY gets that much better in real life, which is what would have to happen for an OVR increase.***

With the Value Rating, a player can still make a realistic attribute jump, but his Value Rating could be increased from a 60 to a 99 in one year if he has a record breaking type of year where he is used a lot.

Statistics would be the direct link to this rating, NOT physical abilities, which is what the OVR represents.

If you are running a Franchise with the Bills, and CJ Spiller has an OVR of 78, and you rush for 2000 yds, 20 TD's, catch 65 passes... the only way for current progression to show him as a 95 OVR, would be to increase all his physical attributes by about 5-10... and if you could get those stats with a 78 OVR, once his attributes are all increased, you're gonna be rushing for 5000 yards a year, which is ridiculous. ALL physical attribute increases should be modest, which is why the OVR rating will never be a true indicator of what we all really want to see in our franchise.

In summary, a Value Rating would reflect on what the player has accomplished, not just his attributes...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

This not only makes sense... but is an AMAZING idea. I'm going to suggest including draft position in this 'value rating' as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »