Home

WHy 15min qtrs in chise is a fruitless endeavour

This is a discussion on WHy 15min qtrs in chise is a fruitless endeavour within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
WHy 15min qtrs in chise is a fruitless endeavour

ok for starters I know there are some folks who are absolutely determined to set their chise in 15 min qtrs just for the sake of realistic time of posession. In that case I'd like to point out the following: the time of possession stat in franchise mode is essentially a worthless stat. IF you go to check your teams offensive rankings for the season (team stats) you can look at passing yards, rushing yards, total yards, points scored, 3rd down attempts, conversions and percentage, red zone attempts conversiopn and %, 4th down... etc. TOP is not here. In fact th3e only way to check your TOP at all is to go look at your team schedule, go back to a previous game, click box score, and check it out. you cant ever look at it for the season anywhere so my conclusion is... it's a useless stat.

Having said all that I was elated when I saw that this year we had the option of running the clock don to whatever we wanted. I was psyched because I could finaly use 15 min qtrs and get realistic stats. you can imagine my dismay when I realized this was not an option in chise mode (btw.. seriously ea? wtf). anyway... I didnt do it strictly for top. I wanted it at 15 so I culd realistic defensive stats. something I am a real stickler for. SO I thought I'd come up with an easy fix...

I decided to keep it on 15 and just get to the line on offense and let the clock run down before snapping the ball... I went on like this for a while, all the time getting the defensive stats I craved, but being bored for 10 to 15 sconds before every offensive play. And i was still getting too many offensive plays a game... THEN IT DAWNED ON ME! no matter how long you sit at the line, the cpu offense is not going to do the same! so basically your defense isn't going to be on the field any more ore any less with 15 min qtrs, just your offense. Low and behold, I dropped the qtr length to 13, and my defensive stats stayed EXACTLY the same. AND I was getting a perfect amount of offesive plays too.

In conclusion: as long as your willing to give up your true to life TOP for each game (which dissapears from the game after each game you play anyways) 13 minute quarters is the perfect length for franchise play. you dont have to stand at the line twiddling your thumbs before snapping the ball either. just my 3 cents here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: WHy 15min qtrs in chise is a fruitless endeavour

Let me expand: Even though I play 15 minute quarters on All-Pro WITH Adjusted sliders (this is madden 11 BTW) I see scores like 44-27,37-31, etc. with 400-600 yards of offense. Thank god im getting madden 12 soon for XBOX 360
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

It is a shame that EA didn't allow such a simple feature in the games biggest mode.

I am one of those guys who likes to play only on 15 min QTRS. I make sure my slider set reflects that time and works well when using it. It can be difficult to keep scores down, yardage etc. This is why we do have the slider options which in turn can give us endless amounts of outcomes as we tweak.

It can be done, you just have to play around with the sliders enough to make sure the right amount of plays fall into the 15 min length. I have not played one game on Madden 12 during franchise with anything other than the 15 min QTRS, I have find the right spot that plays just right for me in terms of stats, scores etc. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldersman99
Let me expand: Even though I play 15 minute quarters on All-Pro WITH Adjusted sliders (this is madden 11 BTW) I see scores like 44-27,37-31, etc. with 400-600 yards of offense. Thank god im getting madden 12 soon for XBOX 360
I had this problem too...but then I found my number of plays ran per game was the equivalent, almost of an extra quarter. You need to be at 120 or so. That fixed my problem (although at all pro I"LL still get 500-600 yards per game...the cpu won't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd_Seven
It is a shame that EA didn't allow such a simple feature in the games biggest mode.

I am one of those guys who likes to play only on 15 min QTRS. I make sure my slider set reflects that time and works well when using it. It can be difficult to keep scores down, yardage etc. This is why we do have the slider options which in turn can give us endless amounts of outcomes as we tweak.

It can be done, you just have to play around with the sliders enough to make sure the right amount of plays fall into the 15 min length. I have not played one game on Madden 12 during franchise with anything other than the 15 min QTRS, I have find the right spot that plays just right for me in terms of stats, scores etc. Just my thoughts on it.
Same here...I got 15 min. in Madden 11 no problem...25 sec runoff did it. Plus I like to take my time at the line. This year I have to do 12...I could do 13 but then I have to wait longer to snap the ball to get the right number of plays.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

yup, that's what sucks. THE CPU controled teams pretty much play at the same pace. doesnt matter if its a hurry up offense or a pound it on the ground.
Only time they eat up the clock is at the end of games when they are up, and that usually happens with about 3-4 minutes left.

I play on 11 minute quarters. but I hate the disparity in TOP.
Madden is missing alot of stats. and the layout they have is poorly thooughtout. I like stats, but with this game Ill only look at the league stats once every 3or4 games, and again thats becuiase of the layout/design.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

I feel a 2k comment coming.....
Old 09-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
yup, that's what sucks. THE CPU controled teams pretty much play at the same pace. doesnt matter if its a hurry up offense or a pound it on the ground.
Only time they eat up the clock is at the end of games when they are up, and that usually happens with about 3-4 minutes left.

I play on 11 minute quarters. but I hate the disparity in TOP.
Madden is missing alot of stats. and the layout they have is poorly thooughtout. I like stats, but with this game Ill only look at the league stats once every 3or4 games, and again thats becuiase of the layout/design.
I think if you tweak some sliders around to fit your style you could manage having games of 15 min 1/4 easy during franchise.

If you can't come right like that, look around for some slider sets. There are those that function correctly using 15 min a 1/4 including a set I recently completed. Hopefully you can come right because what a pain it must be to have a great game but not see the stats to reflect it.

P.S. It would have just been a bonus to all gamers if 2K had the rights to at least have a go at creating a NFL simulation game.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd_Seven
I think if you tweak some sliders around to fit your style you could manage having games of 15 min 1/4 easy during franchise.

If you can't come right like that, look around for some slider sets. There are those that function correctly using 15 min a 1/4 including a set I recently completed. Hopefully you can come right because what a pain it must be to have a great game but not see the stats to reflect it.

P.S. It would have just been a bonus to all gamers if 2K had the rights to at least have a go at creating a NFL simulation game.
I play with tweaked sliders, but once you tweak the sliders the TOP for the CPU will be the same.
This clearly has to do with the programming of this game.
This MAdden is fun, but I do wish it was a bit more simulation.
cosign your 2k statement.
dont even want to compare, but man I still play 2k and its like night and day. to watch a CPU controled team methodically, realistically march down the field eating up the clock.
I dont know what it is but there is something clearly different between the 2.
But again MAdden 12 is fun

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »