Home

Man Coverage Defense

This is a discussion on Man Coverage Defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Man Coverage Defense

I am not going to say I am an expert at man coverage, but I have figured out a way to utilize my top cover corners. Sometimes there is some tweaking you must do in order to cover TEs and HBs. To start off with man coverage needs to be based off of what the Offense is running. Clearly. When the Offense has a 2 Wr 2 TE set run a Nickel Man. This will be the best option and it also will stop the run. In a 3 Wr set always run a Dime Man. When it is 4 Wr or more run the Dollar Man. Now you will have to make some adjustments according to the offense. This is what I do. I hit Y (triangle for PS3) then left on the D pad to show a fake blitz. You then choose the Safety closest to the line and Switch him from deep coverage to Man coverage on the RB. I sometimes choose the TE it just depends on the offensive play. You will have to be the judge. For 3 WR or more I make sure my D line is shifted in. ALWAYS. Do not change anything other than that. For 2 Wr I let the D Line stay as is. After all is said and done I take control of the Free Safety and play in deep coverage and cover the middle and deep threats.

Let me know if this helps with your man coverage. Ill try and explain any questions you have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Man Coverage Defense

If u would do this on me I would run alot. The nickel corner would suck against the run because the FB or TE would have him covered. It all depends on who u play and how they play.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie05
If u would do this on me I would run alot. The nickel corner would suck against the run because the FB or TE would have him covered. It all depends on who u play and how they play.

nope I stop the run with this play. I told you I utilize the the safeties. In a 2 wr set I always double cover the HB and unless you have an unstoppable run game I can stop the run with this package.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Gotta love Madden answers to football scenarios. That's about as un-sim as it gets, no team (pending down and distance) puts one more DB on the field than the offense has receivers.

This thread was spoken like a true cheeser. The NFL is about match-ups/mis-matches and the chess match. IRL a nickel defense vs a base offense 2WR, 2 HB, 1 TE or 2 WR, 1 HB, 2 TE would get destroyed EVERYTIME in a running situation...why because the nickel cannot match-up vs a TE/FB. Punks in Madden try to exploit this flaw at times in the game.

There will be those you may stop who run, but against someone who KNOWS what they're doing offensively you would get gashed. Madden for the most part does a much better job this year sustaining blocks, especially in mis-match situations.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Rookie

xElway7x's Arena

OVR: 0

Denver used to run a "Big Nickel" package against the Chargers and Chiefs to match up better against Gates and T-Gon. It was pretty effective actually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Rookie

Ricanlegend's Arena

OVR: 0

to the op lol if you do this on me all am going to do is kill you with the run i use all 4 running backs and jacobs will destroy the nickel,
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

if u play with no safety over top, i hope your corners have great press ratings, otherwise u'll get quick slanted and go routed to death.

what system are u on, i would love to play u online to show u the error in your ways
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
Gotta love Madden answers to football scenarios. That's about as un-sim as it gets, no team (pending down and distance) puts one more DB on the field than the offense has receivers.

This thread was spoken like a true cheeser. The NFL is about match-ups/mis-matches and the chess match. IRL a nickel defense vs a base offense 2WR, 2 HB, 1 TE or 2 WR, 1 HB, 2 TE would get destroyed EVERYTIME in a running situation...why because the nickel cannot match-up vs a TE/FB. Punks in Madden try to exploit this flaw at times in the game.

There will be those you may stop who run, but against someone who KNOWS what they're doing offensively you would get gashed. Madden for the most part does a much better job this year sustaining blocks, especially in mis-match situations.
How is this CHEESE? First of I do not NANO BLITZ or run 4 WR SNUGS every play. I know how to play the game. How about you understand football before you start talking. Just because there are 2 WR doesnt mean there cannot be 3 CB in a game. Most of the people I play may run a 2WR set but throw out of it so to have an extra corner to cover a HB or TE is not CHEESE. Learn the game of football. Thank you and goodnight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »