Home

"Normal" football stats

This is a discussion on "Normal" football stats within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Rookie

willias's Arena

OVR: 1
"Normal" football stats

I am new to football, and I would like to learn what are the normal football stats. I mean, what's the average score, what's the average stats for each position (for example qb completeness percentage, oline sacks and tacks, wrs receivers).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: "Normal" football stats

Score varies between 10-35 points a game.
Passers I'd say average between 200-350 yards a game
Rushing is anywhere between 75-150.
It all depends on the scheme of the team, obviously the Patriots have better success throwing than running so their passing stats will be higher.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Passing TDs are in the 25-35ish range. Passing Yards: 3,200-4,500

Rushing TDs are about 7-12, 600-1400 yards

WR yards are about 600-1000

Of course beast QBs, RBs, and WRs will get more than those averages, and not as good QBs will be on the lower end. Anything is realistic as long as it isn't like 6k yards, 50 TDs.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

There are an average of 120 plays in each NFL game. Sometimes there are less than 115. Sometimes there are 135 or more. However, it is normally about 120 per game.

That means in a good game, both teams will have about 60 plays each. A balanced attack normally has 25-30 pass attempts with 22 carries by the feature running back, and the other 8 or so plays may be runs by the back up HB, FB, or additional passes. Players like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees will be asked to throw the ball 40 times a game while Mark Sanchez is only asked to throw it 25 times.

There are always exceptions, but this is in general.

Now, as far as stats go: A feature HB wants to have a 100 yard game every week. However, what normally happens is one game he will gain 127 yards and only 82 yards another week. However, 100 is really good for a game. So, when player like Adrian Peterson has 76 yards in the 1st quarter, it can be back breaking.

In the passing game, you want to complete at least 50% of your passes, but even the most accurate QBs only average 64% or so. As far as yards, you want to have about 200 yards. So, with 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing, you likely had a good game.

Now, again, these are averages and milestones you want to aim for. If you have a big explosive game though, it isn't unrealistic. While Cam Newton threw for over 400 yards in his first two games, that was big news... and he did that in a loss.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-26-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

20 carries = around 100 rushing yards

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
20 carries = around 100 rushing yards

Later
If you're Adrian Peterson.

20 carries and 100 yards in 5 yards per carry. If you can average 5ypc, you are a BEAST.

However, you are right.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Check out pro football reference. It's a nice site with lots of stats and you can look up any year/team/player, etc.

For example, here's the link to last year's season stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Rookie

fran33s's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
There are an average of 120 plays in each NFL game. Sometimes there are less than 115. Sometimes there are 135 or more. However, it is normally about 120 per game.

That means in a good game, both teams will have about 60 plays each. A balanced attack normally has 25-30 pass attempts with 22 carries by the feature running back, and the other 8 or so plays may be runs by the back up HB, FB, or additional passes. Players like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees will be asked to throw the ball 40 times a game while Mark Sanchez is only asked to throw it 25 times.

There are always exceptions, but this is in general.

Now, as far as stats go: A feature HB wants to have a 100 yard game every week. However, what normally happens is one game he wil gain 127 yards and only 82 yards another week. However, 100 is really good for a game. So, when player like Adrian Peterson has 76 yards in the 1st quarter, it can be back breaking.

In the passing game, you want to complete at least 50% of your passes, but even the most accurate QBs only average 64% or so. As far as yards, you want to have about 200 yards. So, with 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing, you likely had a good game.

Now, again, these are averages and milestone you want to aim for. If you have a big explosive game, it isn't unrealistic though. While Cam Newton threw for over 400 yards in his first two games, that was big news... and he did that in a loss.
This is by far the best reply here. Statistically when I play as the Raiders, McFadden gets roughly 20 Carries on All Pro and Averages about 98 yards a game. Days I breakout with him I get 200 Yards.. others I get 50... Anyway, Jason Campbell who is an average QB, I throw about 20-25 times with.. run my other plays with back up RB, etc.
Kansas City Royals
Golden State Warriors

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »