Home

Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Punting

Is it even possible to run back a punt for a touchdown? It seems to me like I'm getting 10 yards max, and I'm using a combo of Devin Hester and Johnny Knox to return. I've practiced, decreased stats, etc. Still, nothing.

Anyone have some tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Ricanlegend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Punting

change the sliders for punt power and accuracy to 75 , yes the punts will be 60 plus yard but you will have plenty of room for good returns. My first year in franchise with the punt power at 50 i was last in all punt return stats , year 2 with punt power to 75 am in the top 5 in all the important punt return stats
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Use this stratagy and you MAY return one once in like 10 games.Use Punt Block Formation

Run straight forward after recieving the punt, when it looks like you are about to get hit, use sprint, and cut outside as hard as you can. Depending on your blocking and how well you see the holes you MAY return it. Also when trying to find holes, do not sprint.

The AI is coded to break blocks easier if you sprint, simulating that the defender knows where you are going. (Turn auto sprint off btw.)
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

I've returned one. It was off a lucky random spin move though. I kind of just span, then my guy went through a pack of like 8 people, and had daylight.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edborstein
Is it even possible to run back a punt for a touchdown? It seems to me like I'm getting 10 yards max, and I'm using a combo of Devin Hester and Johnny Knox to return. I've practiced, decreased stats, etc. Still, nothing.

Anyone have some tips?
I do not feel like punts are returned that much. 1st of all when they are the returner is shifting all over the field. There will be some times when a returner can take it straight up the middle, but that is on rare occasions. I have maybe one or two punt returns in a season. You just have to be able to hit the juke moves and spin moves as fast as possible and break tackles. That was the only way I learned how to return punts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Rookie

I have no problem running back kicks, but on Punts I almost always get tackled with a return of less than 10 yards. The only one I ran back was on a "Music City Miracle"-like play, with a few laterals involved. I like to play realistically, so obviously, I wouldn't use it in the 2nd quarter.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

Also with that last post, bring one of your linemen (preferably somebody who can block) and run them back near your returner before the kick.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Banned

I have 1 punt return for a TD... Two others that were close to a TD. Considering that I don't have a game breaker at returner, I don't expect much more.

That said, years ago I read a book by John Madden called, "One Knee Equals Two Feet." There's a chapter that talks about a punt returner's job when he was the Raiders coach. He expected his return man to field the punt.

THAT'S ALL!

He then went on to say that AFTER the return man has performed his job of fielding the punt - he should look to gain yardage. John Madden said that a 9 yard return is an EXCELLENT RETURN.

So we should not expect a punt return TD... We should expect nothing more than our return man field the punt cleanly. If we can get a yard afterward, that's just gravy.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »