Home

In Preason is releasing an UDFA different than cutting them?

This is a discussion on In Preason is releasing an UDFA different than cutting them? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: In Preason is releasing an UDFA different than cutting them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstenz14
just a heads up. i released all of the UDFAs in my franchise for year 2 in week 1 of the preseason and by the end of the season i had no one left in my free agent pool for QB, TE, LT, C...and a lot of other positions had limited selection. For year 3 i am leaving the UDFAs on the rosters at least through week 3 of the preseason...just to see if it keeps the FA pool from emptying by midseason. a lot of it has to do with the abundant amount of season ending injuries.

has anyone else been seeing this happen???
Wait so if you release players, the free agent pool depletes?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

I think the problem is that the free agent pool depletes at the end of the offseason with the teams not having full rosters. Then when you release all of the UDFAs teams have holes and sign players to fill them. No UDFAs left to populate free agent pool means that you don't have any FAs left.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Pro

bigdfan76's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
just a heads up. i released all of the UDFAs in my franchise for year 2 in week 1 of the preseason and by the end of the season i had no one left in my free agent pool for QB, TE, LT, C...and a lot of other positions had limited selection. For year 3 i am leaving the UDFAs on the rosters at least through week 3 of the preseason...just to see if it keeps the FA pool from emptying by midseason. a lot of it has to do with the abundant amount of season ending injuries.

What about the "real" undrafted rookies? You know either the Madden generated rookies or the NCAA imprted guys that don't get drafted? Do they just dissapear? Shouldn't they be "left" there? What happened to your franchise? Over with now I assume. Nobody can pick up a QB, TE, LT or C when injuries happen.
Baylor Bears Iowa Hawkeyes Texas Longhorns
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Rookie

DocOx's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdfan76
What about the "real" undrafted rookies? You know either the Madden generated rookies or the NCAA imprted guys that don't get drafted? Do they just dissapear? Shouldn't they be "left" there? What happened to your franchise? Over with now I assume. Nobody can pick up a QB, TE, LT or C when injuries happen.
It's unfortunate, but all the undrafted rookies (NCAA or Madden-generated) disappear following the draft. iirc. Which is why deleting all the UDFA that are coded into each team's preseason roster ends up leaving a too-small FA pool on some franchises.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21

If you release them they wont have that little message under them that says "I'm a 90 potential" or "I didnt want to be on this team anyway."
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Yup, this is a problem.

By end of season 1 I had several FA position slots very close to empty. I was afraid the game would lock up because a team would fall below the minimum and couldn't sign a FA. But I got through that season.

Accordingly, to be safe, I did not cut the fake UDFA's the next season until I started the regular season. This way they don't disappear they drop to the FA pool. Got them off my rosters but more realistically forced them into exile unless a desperate team hit hard with injuries needed them. Seemed to work out, I haven't seen any of these guys start, just get signed as depth when the FA pool gets thin.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdfan76
I use the NCAA draft classes. The undrafted guys from those classes do go to the FA pool, but there are only about 10, so there aren't nearly enough to populate the FA pool.

As far as my franchise goes, I am almost through the preseason in year 3. I have left the generated UDFAs on their teams through the preseason and have kept the ones that have actual value or salvageable talent without creating too much extra work. But even still with this, im already running short at FS (which means im going to have to start pulling CBs over). Unless there is a patch that will fix this while in franchise, i am certain mine is doomed to run out of players by the next year or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
Yup, this is a problem.

Accordingly, to be safe, I did not cut the fake UDFA's the next season until I started the regular season. This way they don't disappear they drop to the FA pool. Got them off my rosters but more realistically forced them into exile unless a desperate team hit hard with injuries needed them. Seemed to work out, I haven't seen any of these guys start, just get signed as depth when the FA pool gets thin.
Its a franchise killer.

I understand the logic behind doing that. But how much extra work are you having to do? id imagine that its screwing with team salaries, considering you are having to cut guys with real contract and then sign them back...or are you not signing anyone is free agency and just letting teams literally fill completely up with UDFAs?

I dont understand why EA decided to delete all players under a 66 or so in free agency during the offseason, regardless of the quantity per position. It has completely wrecked the way franchise works. Dont they know the NFL is just as much about having bodies as it is having talent? (ok, maybe not such a true statement, but im not in the mood to give EA the benefit of the doubt)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »