Home

AI vs. User Control of Players

This is a discussion on AI vs. User Control of Players within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: AI vs. User Control of Players
Control is More important: I need to control the player so he plays to his ratings capability 3 13.64%
Sim is More important: If the CPU controls the player, he should already play to his ratings. 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: AI vs. User Control of Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I am a firm believer that a player should perform to their ratings, whatever they are, without me controlling him. It is supposed to be a team, and despite being able to control various aspects of a game, I can only control one player at a time. If I'm playing at the MLB on the Vikings, then I should be able to count on Jared Allen giving me double digit sacks every year.

If I've got Revis, I should be able to count on him taking away half the field while I focus on working other parts of the defense.

To me, it's just elementary. A 99 rated player shouldn't play at a 75 because I'm not controlling him, otherwise, what are the ratings for?
How many sacks does Jared Allen have this year?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

4.5 so far.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
4.5 so far.
I do not think he will have double digit sacks this season. Jared Allen is a beast though. I get enough sacks as long as I bring pressure. I have not watch any Min games, but I think it all depends on the defense you'd run also in order to get a lot of DE sacks. I found a way to get pressure and sacks with my DEs without controlling them, but I also do not run a MIN defense that would justify JA getting that many sacks already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
I do not think he will have double digit sacks this season. Jared Allen is a beast though. I get enough sacks as long as I bring pressure. I have not watch any Min games, but I think it all depends on the defense you'd run also in order to get a lot of DE sacks. I found a way to get pressure and sacks with my DEs without controlling them, but I also do not run a MIN defense that would justify JA getting that many sacks already.
He's has at least .5 a sack in every one of the 3 games so far and you don't think he's going to break double digits?

If he doesn't get double digit sacks it would be going against a pretty consistent trend. The last time he didn't break 10 on a season was 2007 and he was in Kansas City. Since he's gone to Minnesota, he's logged 40 in three full seasons with only Demarcus Ware having more at 46.5.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
Pro

Neolithic's Arena

OVR: 6

he plays my Bears two times, he'll get 10 sacks....I promise you that.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
Doesn't matter what we think a player will do. He should play to his ratings. If he's a 65 rated DE, he shouldn't get sacks. If he's a 99, he should have 15-20.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburke2
From what I understand, the awareness rating doesn't factor into played games at all anyway (not even for CPU controlled players), only in simulated games.
YOU HEARD WRONG!

any player that the USER isn't controlling is operating on his own awareness

Do honestly believe the CPU QB can read a defense if the awareness rating wasn't being utilized?

Do you honestly think a player would recognize a fumble occured if the awareness rating wasn't being utilized?

You might want to read up on the things that awareness actually effects

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #16
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

I think I'm fine with awareness not really impacting the user controlled player. Mostly because the alternative scares me.

I don't want to ever have the game choose to ignore my decision to throw to a receiver or delay my reaction in pass coverage because it is trying to simulate low awareness of the player I'm controlling.

I don't think that is unsim. You are equating sim to having zero user impact on the game other than strategy. I don't enjoy coach mode as much as I enjoy playing the game. That said, I shouldn't be able to dominate with poor players. A superb athlete with low awareness is the only case where the results should be significantly different between a user controlling them and the CPU controlling them. I can live with that rather than having the CPU fudge up my reactions.

EDIT- This question is also posed in a strange way. I don't think that the CPU jumps any differently with Darrelle Revis than I do. I hope not anyway. All of their skills and abilities should be the same, but I'll live with the awareness thing.

Last edited by ghostlight85; 09-29-2011 at 06:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »