Home

AI vs. User Control of Players

This is a discussion on AI vs. User Control of Players within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: AI vs. User Control of Players
Control is More important: I need to control the player so he plays to his ratings capability 3 13.64%
Sim is More important: If the CPU controls the player, he should already play to his ratings. 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
AI vs. User Control of Players

Should controlling a player match their overall abilities or should the AI already play to that players overall ability? So then, does controlling a player exceed their capabilities compared to being controlled by an AI player? For example, if you jump high with Andre Johnson, should I have to control Darrelle Revis to jump and react properly as well or should he already play to his overall ability.

This boils down to what you view as more important: Sim or Control
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: AI vs. User Control of Players

I am a firm believer that a player should perform to their ratings, whatever they are, without me controlling him. It is supposed to be a team, and despite being able to control various aspects of a game, I can only control one player at a time. If I'm playing at the MLB on the Vikings, then I should be able to count on Jared Allen giving me double digit sacks every year.

If I've got Revis, I should be able to count on him taking away half the field while I focus on working other parts of the defense.

To me, it's just elementary. A 99 rated player shouldn't play at a 75 because I'm not controlling him, otherwise, what are the ratings for?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
MVP

Another difference is people who like control think the game should be more decided on your controllers buttons / stick skills than strategy and realism. Do you agree with this, and your thoughts on it?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
MVP

Also, what are peoples' views on awareness attribute? Currently, their awareness is as good as how you control them. No effect at all of their rating once you control them. Is that how it should be?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Another difference is people who like control think the game should be more decided on your controllers buttons / stick skills than strategy and realism. Do you agree with this, and your thoughts on it?
Disagree. Of course skill plays a part, but player ratings and strategy should be more of a factor. It's unrealistic to take control of a player who has low ratings and dominate with him because of superior "stick skillz." IMO, players should play to their ratings regardless of whether they are being controlled by the AI or a human controlled player (regardless of that persons skills with the controller).
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Also, what are peoples' views on awareness attribute? Currently, their awareness is as good as how you control them. No effect at all of their rating once you control them. Is that how it should be?
From what I understand, the awareness rating doesn't factor into played games at all anyway (not even for CPU controlled players), only in simulated games.
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 5

CPU AI should play to the players ratings. It should be up to the gamer to be able to stick skill the player up to how good the CPU would be.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
In every game you play that isn't on coach mode, you should have a base level of skill and timing to execute a coverage assignment or make a tackle, but there should be a happy medium. I've always though Madden should have more in depth levels that go beyond handicapping a human player with sliders -- something like a "Total Sim" setting where the CPU plays you using the highest level of strategy.

The A.I. may have its limitations as far as that's concerned, but there are things I see that can mimicked. Like giving human players control over rush lanes, stunts, coverage shells. That could be countered by the CPU using a more in-depth protection scheme like half line slides. We should be able to tweak player traits in game. I may not want my corner to play conservative just because he gets beat, etc. Give that kind of control to human players and the CPU opponent using the coaches' ratings and you've got sim heaven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »