Home

Madden's 78 overall on Metacritic

This is a discussion on Madden's 78 overall on Metacritic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whats your take on Madden's 78 overall grade on Metacritic.com
Too high 40 35.40%
Too low 30 26.55%
Just about right 43 38.05%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Madden's 78 overall on Metacritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Based on the results at this time

71% feel the 78 score is too high or just right.
73% feel the 78 score is too low or just right.

Am I incorrect in adding up the figures?
I would say so, considering that the results show 69/96 voters believing the score to be "just right" or "too high", and 63/96 voters believe that it's "just right" or "too low".

That would be 72% in the "just right / too high" camp, and 65% in the "just right / too low" camp.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #50
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Way too high. But of course, scores are given based on user's expectations & knowledge of the sport.

Personally, I think Madden fails at representing the sport of football. Too many fundamentals & essentials missing for me to rate Madden anything higher than a high, failing grade. Some quotes from the OS review that mirror my feelings:

Quote:
On one hand, the game strives for realistic results, while on the other it cuts several corners with realism to get there."
Quote:
Madden is a game that claims to be a football simulation, so when holding the game to that standard, you will see it actually falls woefully short.
Quote:
...and the corners the game cuts to sacrifice realism for the appearance of realism all mean the game is still a work in progress.
Quote:
If you can stomach the realism gaffes and work through the oftentimes puzzling design decisions, Madden NFL 12 might just be your game.
But my scale/grade is lower. 60% tops.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #51
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
It is just a Madden thing when Madden is the only game that is nearly unplayable without sliders.

In 2K, I didn't have to adjust sliders because a #3 WR was breaking tackles from middle linebackers like Patrick Willis while in the middle of a jumping catch animation over the middle.

In 2K, I didn't have to adjust sliders because elite pass rushers like Dwight Freeney can't get pressure on even scrub offensive linemen because they can't exploit a bull rush animation because he's a finesse pass rusher.

Sliders CANNOT make up for the broken QB Sneak glitch. Sliders CANNOT make up for CPU QB's throwing the ball away from inside the pocket and not getting a penalty called. Sliders CANNOT make up for inherently flawed from the ground up CB / WR interaction. Sliders CANNOT make up for the fact that my defensive backs don't react to the ball, even though I am sitting there pressing the pass defense / swat button. Sliders CANNOT make up for the fact that my manually controlled defenders move out of my control away from CPU controlled ball carriers.
Here we go again.

Last time for me. Agreeing to disagree. We have different opinions, you aren't changing mine, and I'm not changing yours.

A. The QB sneak glitch isn't a glitch for me against the AI. I don't even use the play. Haven't seen the QB throw the ball away from inside the pocket without a receiver in the area.

B. Most of the the other things you mentioned are greatly reduced by sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 3

Just face it Madden isn't going anywhere no matter how much u like or dont like it. Stop trying to pass around the koolaid. LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #53
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408

Agreed 100%.

Madden simply put never had been, and never will be, a realistic portrayal of NFL football in my opinion. It's an arcade football game in a sim football game's skin. It's NFL Jam without the big heads and flaming balls.

truly good.
You said flaming balls....

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Haven't seen the QB throw the ball away from inside the pocket without a receiver in the area.
Really?

I saw it a couple games ago and was like WTF.

At the very least, they could program the AI to throw a "bad" ball near a WR like they would in real life from inside the tackle box, or, perhaps better, have the AI scramble out of the pocket to try to buy time and then they can throw it away by the rules.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
I think I mislead you. I didnt mean for you to think as if I am contemplating on whether or not I want to buy the game. This is just about how well received the game has been so far. So I see no reason why its wrong to look at a various amount of critic reviews of the game as a whole instead of just one opinion. And for the record I think critics are great resources because they analyze the game from top to bottom....well most of them do.
I think a lot of them at least try to analyse the game, but then all of that is condensed to an arbitrary score that gets averaged.

Saying "Game is 78" and "Game is strong in X, Y, Z, but continues to show issues in C, D, E and needs work on tweaking F, G."

That's two different things - one carrying far more meaning and information about the analysis of the game.

I contend that using an average of the least telling piece of information tells you very little (if anything). It would be better to go read all those reviews and make a decision.

But I'm "anti-scores" just like I'm "anti-overall" in Madden. To me, review scores are a lot like OVR and are about as informative (i.e. not much except in perhaps huge differences).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #56
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Really?

I saw it a couple games ago and was like WTF.

At the very least, they could program the AI to throw a "bad" ball near a WR like they would in real life from inside the tackle box, or, perhaps better, have the AI scramble out of the pocket to try to buy time and then they can throw it away by the rules.
Haven't happened yet in franchise.

I'll keep an eye on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »