Home

You have the #1 pick

This is a discussion on You have the #1 pick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Rookie

Kurt l o l's Arena

OVR: 1
You have the #1 pick

In a fantasy draft..

Who do you take and why?

Revis, best corner in the game imo, and he's young.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Rookie

kiz5's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: You have the #1 pick

Willis then Revis. Depending on your style, Brady and Rodgers, as well as Johnson and Johnson are legit options too.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

I'd probably say Revis, but it also depends on what type of team I'm looking to build. If I'm wanting to build an offensive powerhouse then I'd probably take Aaron Rodgers or Adrian Peterson.

I will say a shutdown CBs impact is pretty noticeable in this game from what I've experienced. I have a fantasy draft franchise going where I have Nnamdi Asomugha and he's been rock solid, even shutting down top tier guys like Larry Fitzgerald.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Defense: Patrick Willis, Clay Matthews, or LaRon Landry.

Offense: Cam Newton, Darren McFadden, or DeSean Jackson.

This is purely based on Madden, not real life.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
MVP

lisinas's Arena

OVR: 5

On defense P.Willis or D.Revis
On offense A.Peterson , T.Brady, Calvin/Andre Johnson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

On Offense? Either Adrian Peterson or Aaron Rodgers depending on if you like to run/pass more.

Defense? Patrick Willis. I don't think that Revis is worth the #1 overall pick. Shutting down the opposing team's #1 WR is awesome, but there are only 4-5 WRs that you truly need to fear enough to merit Revis (Andre/Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, maybe Roddy White)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

Tom Brady.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The number one pick? In Madden I would easily go with Revis.

Man coverage is the most powerful positional rating in Madden, or at least in '09, M10 and M11 it was. When I did/do fantasy draft in Madden 11, if I loaded up on CBs with high Man coverage ratings and young players who progress to have high ratings... the computer and my friend's didn't have a chance.

Man Coverage might as well be called the "Psychic" rating, as it determines how psychic your corners are in Man. If it is high enough, they can [and will] run routes ahead of a receiver before they make their breaks or cuts.

If you have a lower 1st round pick then I suggest looking at Vernon Davis. Unless they drastically altered his ratings for Madden 12, he is the most physically gifted TE in the game [speed, acceleration, agility, and jump] along with being the best or second best run blocking TE. He isn't the best route runner and he doesn't have the best hands, but neither of those ratings are bad either and they have never been a liability for me

Beyond that, when doing a fantasy draft, I value offensive linemen really high. There are 5 important positional ratings for offensive linemen in Madden:
  • Pass Blocking Strength - How well they do against power moves by the defense
  • Pass Blocking Footwork -How well they do against finesse moves and how quickly Tackles can drop back to form a pocket.
  • Run Blocking Strength - How long they can hold a block. Measured against Block Shedding.
  • Run Blocking Footwork - How well they can push a defender that they are currently blocking on a run play.
  • Impact Block - A modifier to help determine the likely hood of a pancake block.
Of these 5 ratings, very few offensive linemen in Madden have an 85+ rating in all of these categories. With 32 teams in the NFl and 5 starting offensive linemen per team, that is 160 starting linemen. There are not nearly that many good linemen in the game. If you want an advantage up front, I suggest you spend most of your top 10-15 picks locking up an All-Star line before someone else does. You can argue that the pass blocking ratigns don't matter as much in thegame, but run blocking ratings most certainly do.

Finally, I suggest a 3-4 defense myself. I may be in the minority here, but I am not all that impressed with the pass rush that you get out of DEs in the 4-3. I would rather have 3 big and powerful defensive linemen up front and a stable of fast and talented linebackers who can flow sideline to sideline, drop back into coverage, or go after the QB on any given play.

There are a number of DEs and DTs with low OVR ratings but high Block Shedding and Tackle ratings. Take a look at the roster page and sort by those three ratings, and write down the names [and OVR] of players who have 90+ in those ratings. Some Sleepers in Madden 11 to look out for were: Mike Devito - RE 78 OVR, Red Bryant - RE 76 OVR, Isacc Sopoaga LE 72 OVR, Ron Brace - LE 68 OVR, Dan Williams - DT 74 OVR, Terrence Cody - DT 72 OVR, Linval Joseph - DT 71 OVR, and Torell Troup - DT 68 OVR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »