Home

Madden's bqiggest gameplay deficiency: QB AI

This is a discussion on Madden's bqiggest gameplay deficiency: QB AI within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden's bqiggest gameplay deficiency: QB AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukleopatra
And this whole ''play on all madden, use sliders'' is a joke. If I EVER, in any Madden game created, on ANY level, find myself thinking ''why don't they ever miss,'' I'll drop on my knees and thank god.
You would have enjoyed M09.

Good old fashioned Robo laser precise QB no matter what.

I think Robo QB is just as bad as Stupid QB.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by docolla
I hate that in order to make this game challenging you have to give the CPU advantages to make up for the poor play calling.
This is the real problem and skill level doesn't impact it. It doesn't call plays with the logic of Bill Walsh on All-Madden or anything. If skill level impacted that, I'd play with all my sliders on 5 just to see proper play calls and the AI consider previous success more often.

The AI play calling is questionable, and its execution isn't that much better. The only thing you can do with sliders is give the AI more openings to hit passes.

Skill level does help execution to a degree, but it still doesn't help having an awesome HB, mediocre passing attack, and still airing it out 30-40 times even though it had me scrambling to try to stop the run and my defense going into the orange from fatigue and the game was still in doubt, so it wasn't trying to come from behind.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #59
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i think the real problem is that there is no rating for " go to guy" / " this guy is a beast get him the ball " or else check it down rating....

i remember nba 2k10 had this issue where we were trying hard to get LBJ to bring the ball up the court/drive and finish/take over the game

then in 2k11 they put in the touches rating and that gave life and logic to the team....

this way the AI can go through a progression on every snap...

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 4

Carnilnirvana, Armor, you guys have nailed it.
Madden is what it is. Like Armor, I deal with it cuz I love NFL football.

People need to quit disrespecting Jarodd for "pimping his sliders". The fact is there are thousands of Madden players out there who have been playing the game for a very long time and have developed some awesome stick skills. This game requires a lot of "polishing" which many do not have time for. Thanks to guys like Jarodd, Playmakers and many others, folks don't have to spend many frustrating hours trying to make the game play to there skill level. Personally, I stumbled on a set of sliders very similar to Jarodd's back in 10. If not for the exhausting efforts of the slider guru's I would not have gained the knowledge about the intricacies of each slider and surely would have given up on Madden alltogether.

I do agree that AI logic is messed up, but as Armor pointed out, Madden 12 is not perfect but it is by far the best effort gameplay wise.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 0

I created my own sliders. While the CPU AI isn't great out of the box, I've been able to make the game very enjoyable for me, with simulation-style stats. That's made every other feature of the game better.

I know some feel they shouldn't be forced to create their own sliders, but you can either sit there and whine about it or just go and do it and enjoy the game more.

I'm not even going to share mine...I encourage you to start on what you think your basic level of difficulty is (All-Madden, All-Pro...etc) and then tweak away for 5-6 games. Visit the sliders page if you want to see a whole choice of different styles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
i think the real problem is that there is no rating for " go to guy" / " this guy is a beast get him the ball " or else check it down rating....

i remember nba 2k10 had this issue where we were trying hard to get LBJ to bring the ball up the court/drive and finish/take over the game

then in 2k11 they put in the touches rating and that gave life and logic to the team....

this way the AI can go through a progression on every snap...
I understand that, but how do you give touch ratings to the Packers WR's. Any one game, a WR on that team can stand out. For instance, Jennings is the Packers #1 WR, but in one of the games, Jordy Nelson had a better game, last week it was James Jones, the Bear game Finley had 3td's. To me, that's more random than one person go to guy beast mode.

For NBA2k, that's great that they included higher touches, but now for the Bucks, Steven Jackson takes it up more than Jennings. Then, we need to go in there and tweak the touches for teams like that. In other words, in some cases, it's over-done.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #63
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand that, but how do you give touch ratings to the Packers WR's. Any one game, a WR on that team can stand out. For instance, Jennings is the Packers #1 WR, but in one of the games, Jordy Nelson had a better game, last week it was James Jones, the Bear game Finley had 3td's. To me, that's more random than one person go to guy beast mode.

For NBA2k, that's great that they included higher touches, but now for the Bucks, Steven Jackson takes it up more than Jennings. Then, we need to go in there and tweak the touches for teams like that. In other words, in some cases, it's over-done.

when i was writing it the packers came to mind but thats where i believe it would seperate teams..

the packers would have guys with even similar touches ratings like the heat in 2k12 LBJ, bosh and wade all have 99....

then a team like the cardinal fitz would be way higher than doucet, this will accompany the QB's ratings so just like kolb is doing now in real life he will force it to fitz where as rogers wont ever force it to any one player..

this would help further seperate QB's, look at what is going on in detroit they just force/throw it up to megatron because he is truly a beast...

teams like the pats/packers/steelers etc who dont follow the force it to a super star playbook will shine while the Romo's will make bad plays or have magical moments...

look at the spurs in 2k they are rated so well with this logic anyone parker, gino/duncan etc can all have magical days....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #64
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
when i was writing it the packers came to mind but thats where i believe it would seperate teams..

the packers would have guys with even similar touches ratings like the heat in 2k12 LBJ, bosh and wade all have 99....

then a team like the cardinal fitz would be way higher than doucet, this will accompany the QB's ratings so just like kolb is doing now in real life he will force it to fitz where as rogers wont ever force it to any one player..

this would help further seperate QB's, look at what is going on in detroit they just force/throw it up to megatron because he is truly a beast...

teams like the pats/packers/steelers etc who dont follow the force it to a super star playbook will shine while the Romo's will make bad plays or have magical moments...

look at the spurs in 2k they are rated so well with this logic anyone parker, gino/duncan etc can all have magical days....
Sounds good on paper and theory, just don't know what the outcome would be on Madden. For teams like the Pats/Pack/Steelers, I would think that is what hot and cold streaks are for. Jordy Nelson catches two passes in a row, you go with the hot hand. Once he drops a pass, Driver picks him up , etc.......

Last edited by roadman; 10-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »