Home

Wes Welker is underrated on Madden

This is a discussion on Wes Welker is underrated on Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Wes Welker is underrated on Madden

Welker shows up as a 93 OVR on the roster set I have.

So his skill set DOES translate to OVR.

85 SPD
96+ ACC/AGI/AWR
92 BCV
93 ELU (so he has a chance to shake a defender and get YAC)
92 SPM/90 JKM (more elusiveness)
97 CTH
99 RTE
99 CIT
82 SPC
66 RLS
71 JMP

That sounds about right, imo. He's not rated will in raw physical skill (SPD, STR, RLS, JMP) but all the ball skills are sky high. His route running is sky high, his AWR is sky high, and he has ability to be evasive and change directions on a whim (AGI, ACC, ELU, JKM, SPM)

What more does he need?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
This is exactly what I would have said. If you take Welker and place him on another team and he's not the same player, sorry to burst your bubble, OP.

The reason Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald are top-flight and better-rated WRs in this game is because they can create on their own. Welker is a product of the system around him and a stud QB.

However, I will say this, he's a great WR and deserves a 90+ rating, but shouldn't be in the same class as those WRs I listed above.
Sorry to bust your bubble , but this is totally your opinion and not fact at all.

Welker would be productive in many systems, and is just not a product of the current system he is in, or Qb he is playing with.

The guy can flat out play period, and to imply that he is not in the same league as those Wr's is wrong.

Most of those guys can't even come close to running a route as sharp as Welker, and that is very important skill you need to be sucessful.

now you stated that Andre, Clavin, and Larry create on thier own, well so does Welker with his unbelievable quickness and route running.

Not to menion those Wr's also have pretty good QB's, and Welker would do very well with those QB's also.

Welker is hands down a awesome player, and can play with many teams, QB's, and other systems successfully.

I know your giving him some props but not putitng him up there with those mentioned is wrong in my mind.

Other than the fact that the 3 you mention can out jump him. I can bet many DB's would rather cover the big 3 than Welker.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Wes Welker's Rating in my eyes.

Speed:93
Catch:95
Acceleration:98
Route running 100
Catch in traffic:90
AWR:98
Jump:75
Clutch:90

Jesus man Welker is a beast
You know that Welker runs like a 4.7+ 40 right? Everyone on his own team admits he is very slow, but he is also perhaps the quickest receiver in football. 93 speed just doesn't work for him lol, and that is part of the reason his OVR is low (relatively) as well.

His speed is right where it should be at around 85.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Welker shows up as a 93 OVR on the roster set I have.

So his skill set DOES translate to OVR.

85 SPD
96+ ACC/AGI/AWR
92 BCV
93 ELU (so he has a chance to shake a defender and get YAC)
92 SPM/90 JKM (more elusiveness)
97 CTH
99 RTE
99 CIT
82 SPC
66 RLS
71 JMP

That sounds about right, imo. He's not rated will in raw physical skill (SPD, STR, RLS, JMP) but all the ball skills are sky high. His route running is sky high, his AWR is sky high, and he has ability to be evasive and change directions on a whim (AGI, ACC, ELU, JKM, SPM)

What more does he need?
The only rating I question is 85 speed. Other than that I love what he was given.

He had that great catch for 90 something yrds against the Dolohins where he pulled away from the defense. He demonstarted above avg speed there.

So I would give him at least a 90-93 speed.

I know Revis chased him down on a break away run. Where is Revis on the speed rating?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

I know Revis chased him down on a break away run. Where is Revis on the speed rating?

Revis is a 93, and noted for not being a particularly fast CB - IE they bumped his speed slightly to make him perform a bit better in the game, something they have mentioned doing with a few players.

Last edited by Pandetta; 10-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
You know that Welker runs like a 4.7+ 40 right? Everyone on his own team admits he is very slow, but he is also perhaps the quickest receiver in football. 93 speed just doesn't work for him lol, and that is part of the reason his OVR is low (relatively) as well.

His speed is right where it should be at around 85.
- Apparently during preseason practices Brady kept sending Welker on seam routes until Belichick told him to knock it off (presumably because it's unrealistic for him to do so as anything more than a surprise in a real game situation).

- The big fear after his knee injury was that his quickness would be impacted (it hasn't) but without it he's not an elite player. He's the player he is because he's so agile and quick on short-medium passing situation, not because he has significant top-end speed.

- It's possible that the NFL may have failed to recognize the value or a smaller receiver with more quickness than speed over the middle. Given how the spread offense is kind of the name of the game right now having that little tiny option that can outmaneuver LBs and outclass a 3rd/4th CB is probably undervalued.

- The problem with Welker likely is still that the Madden overall ratings system is flawed and doesn't produce results consistent with what a lot of people think relative to other players.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Sorry to bust your bubble , but this is totally your opinion and not fact at all.

Welker would be productive in many systems, and is just not a product of the current system he is in, or Qb he is playing with.

The guy can flat out play period, and to imply that he is not in the same league as those Wr's is wrong.

Most of those guys can't even come close to running a route as sharp as Welker, and that is very important skill you need to be sucessful.

now you stated that Andre, Clavin, and Larry create on thier own, well so does Welker with his unbelievable quickness and route running.

Not to menion those Wr's also have pretty good QB's, and Welker would do very well with those QB's also.

Welker is hands down a awesome player, and can play with many teams, QB's, and other systems successfully.

I know your giving him some props but not putitng him up there with those mentioned is wrong in my mind.

Other than the fact that the 3 you mention can out jump him. I can bet many DB's would rather cover the big 3 than Welker.
How is he not product of that system? Did you hear anything about Wes Welker in Miami. He was a below average guy back then. Megatron did well with ****ty QB's unti this season. Stafford was hurt every other year. Welker is no where close to Megatron.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh90beast
How is he not product of that system? Did you hear anything about Wes Welker in Miami. He was a below average guy back then. Megatron did well with ****ty QB's unti this season. Stafford was hurt every other year. Welker is no where close to Megatron.
Your talking about Miami when he first entered the league. He has become a different player now.

Like many players who 1st come into the NFL improve later on.

I agree he is no Megatron. What a awesome nick name for a WR .
I just said he can be mentioned with them. They all bring different things to the table, but they all bring it in a elite level.

My final spd rating for Welker would be 90

Welker placed on the following teams will still produce solid numbers.

Bills,Ravens, Steelers, Bengals,Browns, Texans, Tennesse, Raiders, Chargers, Gaints, Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Packers, Lions, panthers, Buccs, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, Rams, Cardinals.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 10-18-2011 at 03:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »