Home

madden tournament

This is a discussion on madden tournament within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

OVR: 3
madden tournament

I joined my first madden tournament today. It starts in 2 weeks. I am going to be using the panthers are there any tips you can give me since this is my first time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: madden tournament

Prepare yourself for all the things you see most players complaining about...

I recommend that you put together a nice blitz protection package. You will see HEAT.

Later
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

OVR: 3

I have no idea how to do that. i now how to change my o line to block from aggressive to pinch or are you talking about plays where a rb stays in to block.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah53johnston
I have no idea how to do that. i now how to change my o line to block from aggressive to pinch or are you talking about plays where a rb stays in to block.
Using your hot route assignments learn to adjust your RB/FB/TE to stay in block if you pick up a pattern on your opponent. I would recommend going online right now and playing as many "Ranked" matches as you can. Keep notes on each game on what type of attacks you are unable to stop and what type of defenses are giving you fits.

Don't be scared to move out of your comfort zone to adjust to your opponents. The A.I. can prepare you by allowing you get more familiar with controls, but "ranked" matches will prepare you for your tournament.

Good luck and comeback and post in this thread how you do.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Prepare yourself for all the things you see most players complaining about...

I recommend that you put together a nice blitz protection package. You will see HEAT.

Later
Your very familiar with online play, could you go into more detail on protection packages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah53johnston
EJ,

I gotta be honest with you. Tournament play is a different animal than playing for fun. You're about to step into a brand new world.

Protection with backs, TE, and even sometimes WR will be CRUCIAL to your survival. You'll need to change your formations, O-Line protection, backs, TE, etc, just to survive.

I recommend I-Form. As my own personal anti-blitz scheme, I block with up to 8 players to protect from being blitzed. Once you get the defense to respect your protections, expect them to put everyone in coverage.

Having hosted 12 tournament events, there are definite patterns to the way tournament games play out.

They seem to start with HEAVY blitzing. Beat that and players opt for all out coverage. Beat that and they start alternating the two. Beat that and they settle down into a more recognizable play call pattern.

But whatever you do... Have a good plan for A-Gap blitzes. If not, you will take a mercy rule loss. GUARANTEED.

Later
Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
EJ,

I gotta be honest with you. Tournament play is a different animal than playing for fun. You're about to step into a brand new world.

Protection with backs, TE, and even sometimes WR will be CRUCIAL to your survival. You'll need to change your formations, O-Line protection, backs, TE, etc, just to survive.

I recommend I-Form. As my own personal anti-blitz scheme, I block with up to 8 players to protect from being blitzed. Once you get the defense to respect your protections, expect them to put everyone in coverage.

Having hosted 12 tournament events, there are definite patterns to the way tournament games play out.

They seem to start with HEAVY blitzing. Beat that and players opt for all out coverage. Beat that and they start alternating the two. Beat that and they settle down into a more recognizable play call pattern.

But whatever you do... Have a good plan for A-Gap blitzes. If not, you will take a mercy rule loss. GUARANTEED.

Later
What are a couple of adjustments you make to reduce the pressure through the A-Gap? If I am correct the A-gap is between the center and guard, right?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
What are a couple of adjustments you make to reduce the pressure through the A-Gap? If I am correct the A-gap is between the center and guard, right?
Good question. First, I'll give you the criterion I use to determine what to do... Personnel, Position, Tempo.

From the personnel aspect, I try to put the best 11 players on the field. "Best" depends on my goal AND my plan to achieve it. Sometimes its better to have a FB block than to use 4WR... Basically, use someone that can DO THE JOB.

On the position side, formations place players in key positions pre-snap so they can do their job post snap. Case in point, if the defense blitzes the middle, there's no sense placing additional blockers away from the middle. At the risk of sounding condescending, blockers block better when they are CLOSE to the guy they are blocking.

On the timing side, we should realize the connection between personnel and position. Blitzing with fast players close to the LOS mean quicker pressure than if those fast players were 10 yards deep. Likewise, slow blockers must be closer to the place where they will block to get the best effect.

That said, I use I-Form because the FB (personnel) picks up middle pressure from a spot (position) that allows the QB time to safely take a 5-step drop (tempo).

When down and distance require more receiving threats, I still like to use I-Form (3WR) (personnel & position). Block with both backs and let the Receivers get open, using my QB's feet to buy more time (tempo).

As long at you think about your 'moves' in terms of all three elements, you'll be OK.

Here's an article called "16 Ways to Blast Blitzes" that sums up many ways to beat a heavy pressure scheme. You'll need to sign up to see it, but membership is FREE.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »