Home

Tips for controlling the FS/SS

This is a discussion on Tips for controlling the FS/SS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Tips for controlling the FS/SS

I use the no-switch rule on defense (wish we had player-lock like NCAA), and for the past few years, have controlled the MLB. I'd like to switch things up this year and control the safety position.

What are the big things, in terms of playing the position, I should be focused on? How strict are you in zone coverage, in terms of staying in the zone diagramed in the play? Do you prefer auto-strafe on or off? Do you find blitzing to be effective from this position?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Tips for controlling the FS/SS

i prefer auto sprint off and auto strafe on...you can always break the auto strafe just by pressing the trigger.
it helps me from over pursuing vs the run.

General Tips: The position is called "Safety" not "Risky". When in doubt, choose caution. A downfield tackle is better then blowing your coverage.

Dont run straight at ball carriers..pursue at an angle..and at worst, steer them inside to where the rest of your defense is.

Always follow your job with exactness, until you get better at recognizing route combos...then you can start anticipating, pattern reading, and getting your Ed Reed on.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I use the no-switch rule on defense (wish we had player-lock like NCAA), and for the past few years, have controlled the MLB. I'd like to switch things up this year and control the safety position.

What are the big things, in terms of playing the position, I should be focused on? How strict are you in zone coverage, in terms of staying in the zone diagramed in the play? Do you prefer auto-strafe on or off? Do you find blitzing to be effective from this position?
I use the safety a ton myself but I rarely, if ever, run the stock defenses like they are diagrammed. Being intimately familiar with man coverage (75% of my defense) I use my safety to compensate for wherever my coverage is weakest - usually in the middle.

I use my safety to help disguise my coverage. I FREEZE the defense and manually shift/move players based on my opponent's formation and motion usage. If a receiver is moved to a position where he is uncovered, I move the safety head-up over him to give the illusion that the safety is responsible for the coverage (sometimes he actually is).

Regarding Auto-Strafe and Auto-Sprint... NEVER. I turn these OFF before ever starting a game. If you're like me, you don't trust the CPU enough to know when it should strafe and sprint. I NEVER let the CPU do what I can do manually.

I blitz from the safety position rarely. About once every 3-5 games, but it depends on my opponent and his play style. If he's susceptible to pressure but I can't get to him, I'll bring my safety. I'll also manually blitz if my coverage is holding up well but the pressure isn't reaching the QB.

Whatever you do though, try to stay conservative on run plays. I find that my most disappointing performances occur when I'm too eager on off-tackle runs.

Later
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

pretty much follow the play until you start picking up on it more.. other than that, do NOT let anyone get past you in a deep zone and youll be fine

i also made the switch from LB to safety this year and its been great
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

All valid points above. I do however blitz a lot from the ss position. I use jax and find I get quite a few sacks with dawan Landry, esp zone blitz. I think safety is by far and away the best defensive position to use. I've used the s for about 4 yrs of madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Be very careful when using the safety. Guy's like me LOVE when people play with the safety. I make them pay. I hope you're good at reading plays. :-)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie05
Be very careful when using the safety. Guy's like me LOVE when people play with the safety. I make them pay. I hope you're good at reading plays. :-)
I only play offline, but yes, reading plays will be important.

I played a half last night controlling the FS in my Broncos franchise and enjoyed the experience. I had two tackles and also recovered a fumble. I was playing Seattle in the pre-season, and they didn't throw many passes over 8 yards.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the tip, it's been difficult for me playing as a DB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »