Home

Is play Recognition a over-hyped attribute?

This is a discussion on Is play Recognition a over-hyped attribute? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Rookie

DaMenace18's Arena

OVR: 0
Is play Recognition a over-hyped attribute?

I pretty sure it means the ability to for your defenders not to bite on the play action, recognize the draw, and to make a play if the user is selecting the same play over and over again.

That being said, it seems like a pretty worthless attribute. I mean users rarely run the play action on me and if they do, the ends usually get a sack.

Can someone give an accurate description of what PRC does?

Based off my theory, i'll take a player with higher awareness every day of the week than a player with high PRC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Is play Recognition a over-hyped attribute?

PRC probably does those things - it might also impact reaction times or taking opportunities to make plays, like LBs shooting gaps when they aren't blitzing or coming out of coverage to run support.

AWR is probably more important, and probably impacts the effectiveness of PRC - but that doesn't mean PRC is necessarily unimportant.

A test would be to edit players to 0 PRC and see if they play any different, especially at positions like LB or DB.

Edit: There's hype over PRC?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I am starting to add more play-action into my game, and I have seen play recognition in effect. I'll see younger linebackers and d-linemen bite on the fake and attack the running back when I've set up a play properly. Now secondary guys are a whole other story. I'll see hesitation in them from time to time, but I have never seen a safety bite hard and get beat badly down the middle.

You can also see it in some higher rated defensive ends who pursue the back on a screen play instead of rushing the quarterback.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

AWR and PRC work together to give reactions to the flow of a play a better feel...

On defense, a player with high AWR and low PRC may get fooled by a fake. A player with low AWR and high PRC might read the fake properly, but still be out of position. And all manner of combinations in between...

If you face guys that run screens alot, you can give a player with high PRC a rush assignment but he'll peel off to cover the screen man when he figures out that the O-line let him go to easy, where a player with high AWR might rush the passer and try to bat the pass down instead of covering the screen man.

So many possibilities tied to these ratings... They aren't over hyped - just misunderstood.

That said, I rely on my own PRC and user control every possible aspect of the game.

Later
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Pro

I have a better question: What is the difference between Awareness and Play Recognition? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

[quote=macbranson;2043115950]I have a better question: What is the difference between Awareness and Play Recognition? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?[/QUOTE

I could be off on this, but the way I understand it is play recognition ties into a player's ability to diagnose a play. A linebacker not biting on a play action, or seeing a counter play and reacting, a defensive end sniffing out a screen, etc.

Awareness, I thought, tied into a players reaction in his own space relative to where the play is AFTER the ball is snapped. Like a player with high awareness will play the ball in the air better, or a safety will react faster to a pass in the flats and break his assignment to rally over quicker, or someone could be in man coverage and break off that much quicker when the ball is thrown elsewhere, or react to scoop a fumble that much faster. I also heard an explanation from a dev that it ties into how well an offensive linemen will pick up a blitzer.

It seems like they would do the same thing, but I guess there are nuances in the coding that made it simpler to have the separate ratings.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

[quote=Senator Palmer;2043115972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
I have a better question: What is the difference between Awareness and Play Recognition? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?[/QUOTE

I could be off on this, but the way I understand it is play recognition ties into a player's ability to diagnose a play. A linebacker not biting on a play action, or seeing a counter play and reacting, a defensive end sniffing out a screen, etc.

Awareness, I thought, tied into a players reaction in his own space relative to where the play is AFTER the ball is snapped. Like a player with high awareness will play the ball in the air better, or a safety will react faster to a pass in the flats and break his assignment to rally over quicker, or someone could be in man coverage and break off that much quicker when the ball is thrown elsewhere, or react to scoop a fumble that much faster. I also heard an explanation from a dev that it ties into how well an offensive linemen will pick up a blitzer.

It seems like they would do the same thing, but I guess there are nuances in the coding that made it simpler to have the separate ratings.
To add to this, it's the difference between recognizing a play (PRC) and reacting to (AWR).

Later
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Rookie

DaMenace18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Edit: There's hype over PRC?
I'm only saying that because allot of people will say something like this:

"Yeah corner X has a great man coverage rating but because of his low PRC I don't think he's elite"

or

"He gets beat often because of his low PRC"

Anyways thanks for you answers. Makes a lot of sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »