Home

Good Article on Missing Madden Intangibles

This is a discussion on Good Article on Missing Madden Intangibles within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Good Article on Missing Madden Intangibles

My #1 has to be home field advantage. there has to be some way to implement that into the game.

http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2011/11/mi...episode-1.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Good Article on Missing Madden Intangibles

Not a bad article, but I'm strictly an offline gamer.

Was there ever HFA in Madden, I remember it being in NCAA?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I think they use to have it Madden. However I don't care for it in the NCAA series. It is no where as good as it use to be back in 06.

The way have it now it doesn't cause the opposing team to mess up at all. Instead it just seems to be rubber band AI for the home team to always allow them to come back from being down.

Would be cool if they had it where as it would cause the road team to not hear the audible or to have them false start more often or simply mess up on plays because their nerves are rattled.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

I know it's not a mode for everyone but Madden Ultimate Team does offer some of these attributes.

1. Boosted Stadium Cards
2. If your team has good chemistry it will make a lot less mistakes.
3. Fatigue plays a major role when you start out with a team that has a 61 OVR rating.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Good read and nice post OP.

I liked it all but I think my favorite part was mental mistakes. The penalty system in Madden really needs to be used more to represent the drop off in player AWR. I should fear starting a talented/high ratings but inexperienced/low AWR player because of potential player errors.

It's so frustrating sometimes how good it seems Madden could be with some seemingly small additions that could have a huge impact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Good read and nice post OP.

I liked it all but I think my favorite part was mental mistakes. The penalty system in Madden really needs to be used more to represent the drop off in player AWR. I should fear starting a talented/high ratings but inexperienced/low AWR player because of potential player errors.

It's so frustrating sometimes how good it seems Madden could be with some seemingly small additions that could have a huge impact.
Building off this, I think coaches also need to have a greater impact on the "execution" part of intangibles. Rather than simply giving ratings boosts to players in certain categories, better coaches should reduce the amount of penalties teams take in games. Maybe even have them only give ratings boost to players during clutch situations so that good teams play well when it matters most.
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburke2
Building off this, I think coaches also need to have a greater impact on the "execution" part of intangibles. Rather than simply giving ratings boosts to players in certain categories, better coaches should reduce the amount of penalties teams take in games. Maybe even have them only give ratings boost to players during clutch situations so that good teams play well when it matters most.
Exactly. As well as some system where plays/playbooks/systems are attached to Coaches and some method where players are affected by their knowledge of the coaches plays/playbook/system.

Things like this can continuously be built on year after year, adding more NFL depth and immersion. That's why I am so excited about the potential for DPP because it is such a foundational feature that can presumably be expanded on annually. I think one of the most universally agreed on missteps of next-gen Madden has been the lack of building block features.

One year wonder features might have help market next-gen Madden but they severely hurt its' annual improvement by not being multi tiered.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Home field advantage: As long as it's not some overpowering of players or what not - it might be there. I haven't found too much in the way of actual quantified data on it, and some teams W/L records do not indicate much of it (are the Packers actually "worse" on the road? Are the Colts "better" at home? Bucs are 3-3 at home, is that because they were at home? Is that provable/quantifiable? A game runs on numbers - so it needs numbers, imo, to really make a system work well)

Also, W/L is the end result - how about per play? How about points? How about yardage? How about penalties by the road team? Do they really false start more, for example? Temperature effects, east coast/west coast travel. Things like that would be needed, imo, to really replicate home field advantage. Not just "home team = +15% to all home team's players", which is often how sports games do it.

As far as mental errors...how about just errors by players in general. I mean real errors, not gamey "oh he ran away from the ball carrier because his AWR is low". Truly missed blocks, mis-executed plays, dropped balls because a hard hitter is nearby or occasionally a player turning up field without looking the ball in his hands. WR running the wrong routes. Sometimes a "hot route" not being picked up (based on AWR and RTE of receiver and AWR of QB). Sometimes protection calls not getting set right. Might be a good place to have crowd noise make an impact, since it hampers offensive communication.

Penalties shouldn't just be mental errors either. If a guy's FMV is good and the blockers XBF isn't, there should be a higher chance of a holding call. Beat players should make penalties more often. Players should know if they are beat, which might CAUSE penalties on purpose, like a vet CB might grab a WR that's about to toast him to give up a defensive holding or even PI to avoid a sure TD.

There should be more nuances to these things and not just a blanket Low AWR = more penalties. A low AWR DB might not realize he's screwed, and give up the TD catch because he thought he could "outrun his mistake".

Likewise, hard hitters should have a higher chance of drawing personal fouls (oh wait, they need personal fouls first) due to the NFL rules on this stuff, but they also have the same higher chance of causing fumbles, jarring balls loose and add in the intimidating factor, especially against low STR and low CIT WR, to cause more drops even without (or prior to) contact.

As far as Fatigue and Dislodging the ball - those are sliders issues. I see plenty of Fatigue at 63 Fatigue and plenty of guys dropping balls on hits with a low enough Catching slider (and CIT rating). So I don't agree with those things being "missing".

Last edited by KBLover; 11-30-2011 at 10:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »