Home

Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB?

This is a discussion on Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Rookie

Woody19's Arena

OVR: 1
Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB?

Hi guys,
For most of you this will sound like a really stupid question, but as a German (who grew up with soccer and hockey) who taught himself all about football via the Madden series and TV broadcasts, here's where I would like some input:

When playing Madden, I never do anything else with my QB than throw the ball - i.e. I don't move around with him after the snap or scramble with the ball.
The problem is that I have to concentrate so much on where my receivers are and if they are covered or not that I don't have the time to keep an eye on my QB and if he's in danger of getting sacked.
I know that some QBs like P. Manning nearly always throw out of the pocket without moving around a lot, but as I'm using Jake Locker I would also like to make use of his running skills.
Does anybody have any advice for me on how to improve my QB play? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Don't focus so much... Or try remembering your routes and have somewhat of an idea of where your going because with the right QB u can pick up yardage with his legs as well.

Sent from My Touch Slide 4G
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19
I have to concentrate so much on where my receivers are and if they are covered or not that I don't have the time to keep an eye on my QB and if he's in danger of getting sacked.
You've found the weakness in your game, now its just a matter of figuring out how to make a correction. I'll explain an exercise I've used that has a threefold benefit. It will sharpen your timing, your familiarity with receiver routes, and help you make the throw you need against the coverage you're facing.

First, forget about the defense. You need to set your internal clock to know when to throw while timing up your routes with the steps of the QB. Go into practice mode with OFFENSE ONLY. Pick any pass play.

While on the field, utilize this time to hot route each receiver to a different route to familiarize yourself with all the options. Slant one guy, hook the other, streak someone else, and block with a back... When you play, you will need these actions to be instinctive. This exercise will help.

Once you've hot routed and feel OK with it, it's time to take a snap. On the first 10-15 snaps, don't throw the ball. Just look at the QB's feet and count each step OUT LOUD. When playing, you will want to be ready to throw on your 3rd, 5th, or 7th step. This will set your internal clock and help your progression.

Now that you have the timing, it's time to throw some passes. Start with the Hook route and take a 5-step drop. Throw the ball without any stick movement and you'll notice that if you plant and throw the ball will be in the middle of the receiver's chest as soon as he turns.

Now work the ball AROUND the receiver. Imagine a defender in various positions and try to use the stick to throw away from him. You'll notice that the ball isn't thrown at the receiver's chest, but out away from his body in the direction you choose...

Do this with several other routes. Experiment with throwing these routes on 3, 5, and 7 step timing. You'll find the sweet spot so you deliver the pass just as the receiver comes out of his break.

After a while, you'll be so accustomed to where the routes break that you won't need to look at the receiver to deliver the pass on time. You'll find yourself reading the defense instead of staring down receivers. Then you just throw away from them just like you did in practice.

Hope this helps,

Later
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Play coach mode. Watch the QB the entire time; if he hasn't thrown yet and a DE or DT breaks his block, run the ball or throw it away. That's how I play. I love Madden's new coach mode system. I used to get sacked like 10+ times a game. Now I barely get any(9 in 13 games) with the Saints and 2-3 in my Redskins 'chise.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Rookie

Woody19's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Now work the ball AROUND the receiver. Imagine a defender in various positions and try to use the stick to throw away from him. You'll notice that the ball isn't thrown at the receiver's chest, but out away from his body in the direction you choose...
Do I use the stick before I let go the pass button? Because I already tried this and I don't seem to be able to direct the ball anywhere but straight on the WR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Move the stick as you are throwing the ball
Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19
Do I use the stick before I let go the pass button? Because I already tried this and I don't seem to be able to direct the ball anywhere but straight on the WR.
Try it simultaneously as you hit the pass button... The practice will help you figure out when to hit the buttons & stick so the ball goes where you want.

Later
Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Banned

I should add...

Pull back on the stick until you reach your plant foot on your 3rd, 5th, or 7th step. When you plant your foot release the stick just long enough for it to return to the center - about half a heartbeat - then press the button and stick together to pick your receiver, how you throw the ball, and where.

It takes some practice to get the hang of it, but once you do, you'll 'feel' your throws as you become one with the controller.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »