Home

hidden things in the code of madden?

This is a discussion on hidden things in the code of madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: hidden things in the code of madden?

Glad you posted.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

I didn't know the Dev team was actually hidden. I've ran into it a few times when going to 'Play Now' so I could hit random to figure out what team I was going to use for Franchise.

I agree though. If they tell use there's not enough disc space for this or that then they need to take this random **** out.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Banned

Kid FSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I've had players from imported draft classes coming in with revo speed helmets with revolution facemasks. or revolution helmets with regular facemasks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I agree though. If they tell use there's not enough disc space for this or that then they need to take this random **** out.
I'm sorry, anyone who ever really bought into the "disk space" excuse was a bit naive in the first place.

To make one thing clear, I'm not hating on the dev's. I'm not one of those people who think those guys are sitting around thinking "Hell, what great game we could make if we just put some work into it... ah whatever just go watch some funny youtube movies and ****." as many here seem to do, I know there's only so much a certain number of people can do with limited amount of time and money.

(admittedly, from my personal experience in software development, there are certain days where the "work to funny youtube videos" ratio isn't exactly something you'd like your boss to know about, but that's the exception, not the rule )

But still, to tell us that there's no disk space for certain features is simply ridiculous, it's just a way of telling us that they don't have the money or manpower to do it. The problem is that efficient programming has become a lost art in the last decade because space has become so ridiculously cheap, and even moreso, efficient programming is a LOT more time-consuming (and therefor expensive) than just cramming the stuff on the disk.

In the end, it comes down to money. As long as Madden is the only NFL game on the market and millions of people will buy it every year no matter what, there's simply not a big motivation for EA to pump more money into this product, they are a business, after all.

So I fully understand that the devs are doing the best they can, but I just can't buy that disk space excuse.

After an incredible 2012 season ends with a Super Bowl win, Hope Turner and her Vikings are trying to prove that their performance was more than just a one-shot.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
So I fully understand that the devs are doing the best they can, but I just can't buy that disk space excuse.
I agree Delta... I don't think it's a matter of effort. At times I think it is a matter of talent and direction. The real excuse I heard a lot was, "It's really hard to do ____."

When they talk about time/resources, there are a lot of little things that could have/should have been done already, but instead they are busy making the DEV team and then writing code to hide them/unlock them... or making 49ers 80's white pants that don't exist... or what ever else.

Can we please get the depth charts to sort by position specific ratings? When I look at offensive linemen, I don't want to have to scroll past 30 ratings to look at Run/Pass Blocking Strength/Footwork and Impact Block. When I look at Linemen, those ratings should be listed first. When I then sort by Corner Backs, I should see Man/Zone Coverage, Press, Play Recognition, Pursuit, Tackle, and catch ratings first... or at least after physical skill sets. Also, why is it Speed, Agility, and then acceleration? Acceleration and speed are related, so why aren't they paired together? Why is Agility between them? Ugh.

P.S. Yes, I have a minor case of OCD or something because organization and these kinds of things are important to me.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I agree Delta... I don't think it's a matter of effort. At times I think it is a matter of talent and direction. The real excuse I heard a lot was, "It's really hard to do ____."

When they talk about time/resources, there are a lot of little things that could have/should have been done already, but instead they are busy making the DEV team and then writing code to hide them/unlock them... or making 49ers 80's white pants that don't exist... or what ever else.

Can we please get the depth charts to sort by position specific ratings? When I look at offensive linemen, I don't want to have to scroll past 30 ratings to look at Run/Pass Blocking Strength/Footwork and Impact Block. When I look at Linemen, those ratings should be listed first. When I then sort by Corner Backs, I should see Man/Zone Coverage, Press, Play Recognition, Pursuit, Tackle, and catch ratings first... or at least after physical skill sets. Also, why is it Speed, Agility, and then acceleration? Acceleration and speed are related, so why aren't they paired together? Why is Agility between them? Ugh.

P.S. Yes, I have a minor case of OCD or something because organization and these kinds of things are important to me.

I feel the exact same way. It gets aggravating.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
That's got nothing to do with CDO (it's like OCD but the letters are in the right order AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!! ), it's just common sense and, more importantly, it's simply a matter of usability to make the stuff that's most important easily accessible and to group things that belong together, that's really software design 101 (and yes, I learned PRECISELY that kind of stuff in that course so that's not a joke)

After an incredible 2012 season ends with a Super Bowl win, Hope Turner and her Vikings are trying to prove that their performance was more than just a one-shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:

This is an example of what I was referring to. They are busy making whatever excuses for why this, that and the third is not done, while adding themselves to Madden. It reminds me of a student in class that just doesn't understand or isn't interested in the curriculum and instead of applying the available time to it, they doodle ***** , like Superbad.

I personally don't put much stock in any of the resource excuses and believe they have the talent too. Like I have stated before, what's not in Madden has far less to do with the overall arcade quality of the game than the inadequate implementation of the things that are there. If M13 didn't add anything new but fine tuned everything currently in M12, including finishing online franchise, some people would be disappointed about no halftime show, etc but without question M13 would be a better game, well worth $60, imo.

When I constantly keep reading slider set users assert that Madden plays sooooooo much better with adjustments, that tells me, the ability for correct implementations are developer programmed but not developer applied. So then I am left wondering, why don't the developers apply these things in a NFL manner in a preset simulation mode but I am reminded of EA's pimp-like business model for Madden, "always leave them wanting".

So maybe the jigsaw puzzle of ratings adjustments, slider sets, coaching profiles and other tools, is just the developers way of trying to allow hardcore gamers to create on their own, what EA will not allow developers produce at work, an all around solid football game. Who knows, it's yet another Madden mystery.

That said, after 7+ years of these Madden mysteries concerning hidden code, exclusive agendas, potential of lawsuits, developer personnel, etc, I've had enough. Either M13 is where I want it to be or the tools are available on every level for the community to make it that way and if not, time to move on from exclusive licensed NFL football games.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 12-15-2011 at 01:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »