Home

Remember where we came from?

This is a discussion on Remember where we came from? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
Banned

Quique987987's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Remember where we came from?

TNT, it seems that your posts mean you could care less about the actual look of Madden. I know there is no way you'd be content with playing a game with horses as players and the ball being a telephone. Anything you write is just irritating, especially the 'Later' thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #42
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

@TNT, I guess I didn't clearly state my point and will try again. You say that you enjoy Madden now but there are others who don't because of certain issues. Developers taking the time to address the issues others have while still offering a "Classic" Madden setting "out the box", shouldn't have any affect on your enjoyment level.

If Madden offered a "Classic", "Simulation" and "Custom" setting for all game modes, gamers could choose what they find enjoyable. Concerning you and competition, that should be ideal because it would allow you to compete across various designated skill sets and settings, without the excuse from others of "if Madden was setup like ___ than I could compete better".

Now, on the other hand, if you are only interested in Madden staying Madden because you want everyone else to have to learn to play the game the way you did and despise the idea of change, is selfish but that's cool too. However, all this stuff you keep suggesting to other people about adapting to compete and problem solving becomes very hypocritical but you could just avoid other settings while continuing to enjoy "Classic" Madden.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quique987987
TNT, it seems that your posts mean you could care less about the actual look of Madden. I know there is no way you'd be content with playing a game with horses as players and the ball being a telephone. Anything you write is just irritating, especially the 'Later' thing.
Me, annoying and irritating? Really?

Honestly, I'd prefer if they skipped a year working on the fluff and worked on what really mattered. Otherwise we'll have another year where we get hand towels instead of what we REALLY WANT.

You think I'm annoying, what about seeing the same errors on Madden every year because the devs are chasing their tails 'innovating' new stuff instead of perfecting the old stuff. That's annoying.

Seriously, nice graphics are nice to look at. But if you gave me choice between a football game that played perfectly out of the box but had a ball that looked like a telephone (let's go with the pulse dialing rotary type) and one that looked great and played poorly - I can't lie, I'd take phone ball.

Feel free to scroll past, skip altogether, or add me to your ignore list. I promise I won't be offended. If you don't, I promise you will continue to be annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
@TNT, I guess I didn't clearly state my point and will try again. You say that you enjoy Madden now but there are others who don't because of certain issues. Developers taking the time to address the issues others have while still offering a "Classic" Madden setting "out the box", shouldn't have any affect on your enjoyment level.

If Madden offered a "Classic", "Simulation" and "Custom" setting for all game modes, gamers could choose what they find enjoyable. Concerning you and competition, that should be ideal because it would allow you to compete across various designated skill sets and settings, without the excuse from others of "if Madden was setup like ___ than I could compete better".

Now, on the other hand, if you are only interested in Madden staying Madden because you want everyone else to have to learn to play the game the way you did and despise the idea of change, is selfish but that's cool too. However, all this stuff you keep suggesting to other people about adapting to compete and problem solving becomes very hypocritical but you could just avoid other settings while continuing to enjoy "Classic" Madden.
I understand. And those settings would be nice.

Except, getting those setting means adding something else that may not work well enough to make the retail version in a 9month development cycle. They also will require time, money, and people to be diverted from other pressing issues...

Seriously, how much better can player models get? How much more detail do we need in a stadium? Does the sky really need to look better? Do we really need 5 seconds of cut scenes after every play?

Those are nice touches for some people, but I doubt very seriously that anyone is playing specifically for those reasons. I also doubt anyone has ever purchased Madden with the intention of playing a mode that has never been on the game.

Where we differ are in the most pressing issues... That's what these discussions are for.

Later
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #44
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

The thing I found most interesting about the video is how much the game improved on the ps2\xbox generation from 2002 to 2007 for example. They made great strides in that period.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

Why isn't Madden better? Because the base is too friggin' broad.
Which is the real problem. You have one company making one game for an audience that would support several. The exclusive license, whoever's fault it is, is the worst thing to ever happen to NFL video games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #46
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
The thing I found most interesting about the video is how much the game improved on the ps2\xbox generation from 2002 to 2007 for example. They made great strides in that period.

Well this is it. This is what so many players are unhappy about. Since the move to this Gen, Madden has failed to really improve dramatically like it did on PS2/XBOX.

And I agree with that sentiment to a degree. Madden 10 was finally a game I felt that was next gen (in this series) and Madden 12 has been their best offering since the 2007 Edition.

They are just way behind other sports at this point. But let's not harp on that anymore. We all know it. The encouraging thing is between Madden 10 and now 12 we have seen some significant improvement overall IMO.

They are getting there. Slowly ,but they are moving along.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Well this is it. This is what so many players are unhappy about. Since the move to this Gen, Madden has failed to really improve dramatically like it did on PS2/XBOX.

And I agree with that sentiment to a degree. Madden 10 was finally a game I felt that was next gen (in this series) and Madden 12 has been their best offering since the 2007 Edition.

They are just way behind other sports at this point. But let's not harp on that anymore. We all know it. The encouraging thing is between Madden 10 and now 12 we have seen some significant improvement overall IMO.

They are getting there. Slowly ,but they are moving along.
The slowness of NG Madden development came from the first 3 years... When I was at CD before the release of '09 I had a conversation with one of the developers who told me that they had to start fresh with several items in '09 because of some of the priorities the previous dev teams set for '06-08.

Basically, they went full reverse on things like field degredation. Madden '08 spent so much of the system resources on field degradation that there wasn't room for many of the animations we needed (tackle WR while in the air). When '09 released the field was texture mapped, looked better, and required less processing power. While we didn't discuss many examples outside of field degradation, I was given the impression that it was just the tip of the iceberg on things that had to be removed in order to get Madden back on track.

I also saw one dev in particular get ANGRY when we buttoned thru the intro, opening scenes, etc... Needless to say, I hope the new Madden team focuses on things that will matter most to players after they have played 200 games instead of spending countless dollars and hours delivering things we're highly likely to skip completely.

In essence, the Ortiz years were counterproductive and took 3 years of progressive development away and NG Madden started from '09 to reverse field. Madden 12 looks and feels like a NG title should because 3 steps back required 3 step forward just to get us back to the neutral position. Madden 12 moved NG forward for the first time...

Later
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
Which is the real problem. You have one company making one game for an audience that would support several. The exclusive license, whoever's fault it is, is the worst thing to ever happen to NFL video games.
Not to mention EA pays for at least a portion the check that gets written to the NFL every year by dipping into development funds. If it wasn't for that, the team wouldn't have to choose between fixing old issues,working on things like commentary, or adding new/deeper game modes.

The license hurt more than just the competition when it was signed. I wish more madden fans could recognize this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »