Home

Why we need the return of "rocket catching"

This is a discussion on Why we need the return of "rocket catching" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Why we need the return of "rocket catching"

Never had a problem with "rocket catching". With the new locomotion it should just be harder to time and do right. But how it is now is 100% nonsense and tipped in the defense's favor.

How can you not have the offense able to perform every body movement the defense can? If they can turn to the ball, so should receivers.

Its like programing DBs to be unable to turn and run with the receiver. Could you imagine that uproar?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Ok, so I presume we are talking about User jump catching and if so, I completely agree with it being limited, unless it actually starts to require skill along with adequate risk/reward.

Something like a DPP trait for "jump balls", a JMP rating minimum, timing requirement with mistiming potentially causing easily intercepted tipped passes and increased injury risk from being exposed to illegal hits or landing awkwardly.

Edit* I forgot to add that User catching/intercepting in general needs to involve more controller mechanics other than pressing one button. Maybe something similar to the passing controls with button pressure controlling the type of catch/interception attempted and the right stick controlling "reach" direction.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 12-29-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Ok, so I presume we are talking about User jump catching and if so, I completely agree with it being limited, unless it actually starts to require skill along with adequate risk/reward.

Something like a DPP trait for "jump balls", a JMP rating minimum, timing requirement with mistiming potentially causing easily intercepted tipped passes and increased injury risk from being exposed to illegal hits or landing awkwardly.

Edit* I forgot to add that User catching/intercepting in general needs to involve more controller mechanics other than pressing one button. Maybe something similar to the passing controls with button pressure controlling the type of catch/interception attempted and the right stick controlling "reach" direction.

I think maybe ratings and DDP elements can be attatched to it so its not a situation like a few years ago with the tall white falcons receiver (i forget his name but you all know who im talking about) who was like 6-4 and had great leaping ability but wasnt good at much else. He was unstobable even though he had no real skills.

At the same time as a rule they shouldnt give defensive players options that offensive players dont have. It completely takes soooo many ratings out of the equation to be meaningless and forces the player to find exploits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
I think maybe ratings and DDP elements can be attatched to it so its not a situation like a few years ago with the tall white falcons receiver (i forget his name but you all know who im talking about) who was like 6-4 and had great leaping ability but wasnt good at much else. He was unstobable even though he had no real skills.

At the same time as a rule they shouldnt give defensive players options that offensive players dont have. It completely takes soooo many ratings out of the equation to be meaningless and forces the player to find exploits.
Exactly. Allow it to be attempted with any and all User controlled players but represent variables to balance the success.

That way a user controlled WR like Brian Finneran?, can attempt all the "rocket catching" he wants but without the technique, skill and/or conducive opportunity, it's a consistent fail. Same should apply to defenders when trying to jump stop and intercept balls, instead of trying to knock them down.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 12-29-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Exactly. Allow it to be attempted with any and all User controlled players but represent variables to balance the success.

That way a user controlled WR like Brian Finneran?, can attempt all the "rocket catching" he wants but without the technique, skill and/or conducive opportunity, it's a consistent fail. Same should apply to defenders when trying to jump stop and intercept balls, instead of trying to knock them down.

BRIAN FINNERAN

Jesus I was racking my brain trying to figure that guys name out! I remember i think madden 04 I had a friend who used the falcons and he would have 250 yards recieving every game. Im pretty sure that is when i stopped playing against humans.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
This would be rather interesting...
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 0

"Rocket Catching", as I recall, was when the User manually selected a WR and used Turbo to speed to the ball, turn around and jump to catch it. What made this a "cheese" that it was much more difficult to do the same thing with a CB because they would swat the wrong way or just put their hands up ineffectively. The real problem is that if the WR has time to position himself facing the ball, the defender should be able to do the same and effectively defend the pass without creating an enormous risk of allowing a big play. Another thing about it that sucks is that after the receiver jumped and caught the ball, he would just land and start running again. Most of the time, IRL, when the receiver has to stop and turn to catch the ball, he usually gets tackled. "Rocket Catching" should never have been a "cheese" because it's a realistic thing that happens all the time, but it was considered "cheese" because the game made it particularly difficult to defend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
This would be rather interesting...
I think it would because I get so tired of reading about "stick skills" when there is very little skill involved, imo. With a player like Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith, the only thing a user should be concerned with is the timing and injury risk attempting a "rocket catch" because those players obviously have the skill and technique needed. However, user controlling players without all the tools to be consistently successful at "rocket catching", should have a challenging control mechanic, that even if mastered through much practice, only creates a positive variable for success but not guarantee it.

Something like this also might be a good way in Franchise mode to allow Users to manually influence player progression by manipulating player technique through controller mechanics. Think NBA2k12's intricate control mechanics where even Centers can attempt complex ball handling moves but their execution realistically sucks. Imagine those type mechanics in Madden with the potential of user controlling naturally talented players like Jamarcus Russell or a Dez Bryant into elite consistent players or complete busts, by actually changing their traits/tendencies OVER TIME, through constant user control mechanics.

This would theoretically allow a User in Franchise mode to commit to 4 personal player "projects" on Offense, Defense, Kick coverage and returns, for each season. Would also make OTA, mini camp, training camp, preseason and limited practice time between regular season games, cohesive features to have in Franchise mode.

My bad for getting all "wishlisty".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »